Need to update general.useragent.override.usbank.co

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Need to update general.useragent.override.usbank.co

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-19, 15:05

All of a sudden I can not any longer sign in to my USBank account. This just started yesterday. This is the general.useragent.override I was using:

general.useragent.override.usbank.com Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0

What do I need to change to get it to work again? Thanks.
Last edited by tman801 on 2018-06-19, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Need to update general.useragent.override.usbank.co

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-19, 15:36

Does it work if you change both Firefox version numbers from 46.0 to 60.0?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-19, 15:49

Isengrim wrote:Does it work if you change both Firefox version numbers from 46.0 to 60.0?
Thanks for the reply.
Tried it and the result is the same. No signin option on page. Firefox works fine on Windows10 & Ubuntu 16.04. Pale Moon does not work on Windows or Linux.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-19, 18:24

tman801 wrote:This is the general.useragent.override I was using:

general.useragent.override.usbank.co- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0
Shouldn't that be ".com" instead of ".co-". I've tried highlighting the minus sign in your string.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-19, 18:31

What page do you log in from?
What does happen when you try to log in?

I suspect PM 27 will simply no longer work there, the 'Log In' button, https://www.usbank.com/index.html.
It appears to not be a UA issue.
There could be an alternative login page that might work, no idea?
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-19, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-19, 19:21

Walter Dnes wrote:
tman801 wrote:This is the general.useragent.override I was using:

general.useragent.override.usbank.co- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0
Shouldn't that be ".com" instead of ".co-". I've tried highlighting the minus sign in your string.
Sorry about that Walter Dnes, I must have copied it wrong. It is usbank.com.

therube wrote:What page do you log in from?
What does happen when you try to log in?

I suspect PM 27 will simply no longer work there, the 'Log In' button, https://www.usbank.com/index.html.
There could be an alternative login page that might work, no idea?
As of Sunday 6-17-18 pale moon 27.9.3 was able to open USBank without any problems.. Now I get the web page but no signin option. It is blank.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-06-20, 00:54

I get this with PM 28.0.0a4 64bit W7, is this what your trying to get?
Screenshot - 6_19_2018 , 5_52_17 PM.png
I'm using Ublock and Disconnect.

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-20, 01:22

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I get this with PM 28.0.0a4 64bit W7, is this what your trying to get?
Screenshot - 6_19_2018 , 5_52_17 PM.png
I'm using Ublock and Disconnect.
Yes, although the web page is different from the one I get, I do not get the login option. The login option on the right is blank.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2018-06-20, 01:53

I have same problem with US BANK login screen. I sent them a sharp email complaining that as of yesterday, I could no longer logon. Here is their response:
"Hello Richard,

"Thank you for contacting us through our email services. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concern with using Palemoon for your Online Banking. I can certainly provide some guidance.

"I reviewed the type of browser Palemoon is and found it is an open source browser. Due to the possible security risk with open source browsers, we no longer support them and I apologize for the disappointment this may cause. I realize you have reasons for using Palemoon for your browser. With that said I you may want to consider using IE, Chrome or Firefox for just your Online Banking.

"I use Firefox and have zero issue using the browser. It’s a free download as well. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

"Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

"Best regards,

"Mark C.
"U.S. Bank Email Operations Department

"[THREAD ID:1-8SF8ITA]

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-20, 02:12

racorbin2010 wrote:I have same problem with US BANK login screen. I sent them a sharp email complaining that as of yesterday, I could no longer logon. Here is their response:
"Hello Richard,

"Thank you for contacting us through our email services. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concern with using Palemoon for your Online Banking. I can certainly provide some guidance.

"I reviewed the type of browser Palemoon is and found it is an open source browser. Due to the possible security risk with open source browsers, we no longer support them and I apologize for the disappointment this may cause. I realize you have reasons for using Palemoon for your browser. With that said I you may want to consider using IE, Chrome or Firefox for just your Online Banking.

"I use Firefox and have zero issue using the browser. It’s a free download as well. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

"Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

"Best regards,

"Mark C.
"U.S. Bank Email Operations Department

"[THREAD ID:1-8SF8ITA]
Don't you just love it when a nonothing talks down to you because we are too stupid to know about security on our browser. Also we are too dumb to know about or understand how to use Firefox. I had come to the conclusion that this is what happened. Your post just confirmed it. I think I will have to change my credit cards to another bank. Thank you racorbin2010 very much for posting the letter.
Last edited by tman801 on 2018-06-20, 02:50, edited 3 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 03:49

Confirmed.
The login on that page simply will not work in PM 27.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2018-06-20, 14:55

tman801,

Thanks for comment. I wrote a response to the email I received (and put on this forum). It was a bit intemperate, which I regret, and a waste of time,, but I was really annoyed for the reasons stated in your comment. My response was

"Mark C.:

"I am going to try very hard to keep my response polite; I found your response somewhat patronizing. I dont need your advice on browsers because I have been studying them and using them probably since before you were shaving. (I am 72 and have been working on and with all types of computers for 39 years.)

"First of all I use Linux on my two main PCs. The operating systems are OPEN SOURCE and I guarantee you that both of them are a lot safer than Windows 7, Windows 10 or any other Microsoft operating system.

"Internet Explorer is a piece of junk and only used by complete non-techies. Chrome is owned/managed by Google and I dont use any Google products because of Google's sneaky and potentially illegal business practices. Using a Google product is akin to sharing all your computer habits/emails/passwords/etc. with Google. I used Firefox for many years until they switched to the Australis interface (v29). Mozilla made a business decision to treat Firefox users as morons and slowly take away all kinds of configuration options. Plus I found it to be bloated and slow on older machines. If you are happy with Firefox, more power to you; I wont use it anymore.

"Who in your organization made the decision that open source browsers were inherently less secure than Google Chrome? That is complete nonsense. [I am really struggling to stay polite here.] And do you truly think that an open source browser like Palemoon is less secure that doing banking on a smartphone?????

"I have been very happy with U.S. Bank for the past seven years, but this is extraordinarily annoying. And I am not alone. I just read a Palemoon forum and found that there are plenty of other folks in my situation. I will consider changing banks because of this, and when I do, I will tell them the reason.

"Sincerely,

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-20, 16:07

racorbin2010, I am 76 pushing 77. You expressed exactly and in an artistic manner what I felt and was trying to put into words. If you don't mind may I use your reply and adjust a couple of things for myself for when I cancel my cards?
In the near future I also will be changing my credit cards to my local bank here. I have had them for several years in another state and they were always nice,polite and helpful with any of my requests. But am now in another state and the nearest USBank is 50 miles away.
Like you I have Linux on three computers along with w10.0 and I still have Firefox installed as a backup, which like w10 I hardly use. Even though I can install and dual boot w10 & Linux, I am too dumb to know which browser is best for my banking needs. Unlike Windows users, at this point in time with Linux, I do not need an antivirus nor do I need several malware programs to keep my computers clean.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 16:14

While the response from "nonothing" was pitiful, that does not change the situation that their site seemingly just won't work (now) with PM 27.

They are not going to change their end to accommodate you (PM).
So then it is up to you to do something (assuming you aren't looking to switch to a different bank) like using a more compatible browser. (PM has two that are like more agreeable to usbank.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-20, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-20, 16:54

I understand what you are saying. What two PM browsers are available? I am running PM 27.9.3 & dual booting w10 & Ubuntu 16.04.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-21, 02:50

I assume therube is referring to Basilisk and Pale Moon 28. Note that Basilisk is in perpetual beta and uses the Australis interface, and Pale Moon 28 is still in alpha.

Also...
Due to the possible security risk with open source browsers, we no longer support them and I apologize for the disappointment this may cause. I realize you have reasons for using Palemoon for your browser. With that said I you may want to consider using IE, Chrome or Firefox for just your Online Banking.
Chromium and Firefox are both open-source :lol:

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-21, 04:27

SpockFan02 wrote:I assume therube is referring to Basilisk and Pale Moon 28. Note that Basilisk is in perpetual beta and uses the Australis interface, and Pale Moon 28 is still in alpha. Chromium and Firefox are both open-source :lol:
Yes I knew he was referring to Basilisk & PM 28 both of which, as you have pointed out, are in beta testing. Therefore I would not use them among other reasons. MS,Google & Mozilla, I believe, are putting pressure on everybody to only push their browsers to the detriment of other good browsers.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2018-06-22, 18:18

Just a General FYI on this issue:
There were further exchanges between US Bank web support and me. Mark C wrote that he would take my concerns to their team for further consideration. Whether he really will or they will seriously consider it, I doubt. But I also called US Bank regular banking services (i.e. not web support) and registered my dismay. At first the lady offered to connect me to web support, but I specifically said, No. Since the person I talked to was completely non-technical, I kept it very simple. I said I use a browse called Palemoon that worked for years at the website and because of a bad decision by web support, it stopped working a few days ago. They didnt want to admit they made a silly decision and so I wanted her to take my complaint to the marketing (or whatever) side to encourage web support to reconsider their decision because I was considering switching banks (a white lie, I must admit). She said she would and she supposed that it depended upon how many complaints they received for a serious reconsideration.

Also, I would add that I switched to the Vivaldi browser that at first use seemed to work, but it had a strange bug when I attempted to print off a check image, so I bit the bullet and reinstalled Firefox JUST FOR US Bank. It works perfectly. Remember this is all in Linux. Reinstalling Firefox was a BITTER pill for me to swollow.

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-06-22, 19:44

Hey racorbin2010,
I just installed PM's version of Firefox--Basilisk also in Linux. It is in beta and so far it is like the old Firefox. I have been able to add my theme and addons. Especially PM's Theme Tweaker that replaces the old Theme Font & Size Changer. As of now it works just like Firefox 56(which I have set to not update). When Basilisk becomes stable like PM 27.9.3 then I will remove Firefox for good.
Last edited by tman801 on 2018-06-22, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-06-22, 20:03

tman801 wrote:When Basilisk becomes stable
Basilisk will not become stable. Basilisk is development software and thus should be considered to always be in a perpetual beta state.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.