Current search engine icon in search box

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

dr_st

Current search engine icon in search box

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-05-28, 12:35

Unlike Pale Moon, Basilisk does not show the icon for the current search engine in the quick search (Ctrl+K) box, only a generic search symbol. I presume this is something changed in the Mozilla core code at some point. It does show it after I start typing, but I still find myself frequently not noticing, and searching the wrong engine. The icon was a really useful visual cue. Is there any way to bring it back in Basilisk?

BillZM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Current search engine icon in search box

Unread post by BillZM » 2018-05-28, 13:16

If I left-click on the icon, it shows current search engine and gives options for selecting another.

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-06-05, 14:31

OK, so Classic Theme Restorer add-on has an option to restore the old search box which shows the icon all the time. I wish it was possible to do without resorting to an add-on, but I guess it's what add-ons are for. :)

BillZM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BillZM » 2018-06-05, 22:41

Just a thought. I don't know how Classic Theme Restorer works, but you might want to enter about:config and search for "search" to see if you can spot preferences added or changed by Classic Theme Restorer; if so, you may be able to disable and remove the addon and achieve the same effect by entering those preferences directly.

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-11-25, 08:09

After a while I noticed that Classic Theme Restorer seems to cause the browser to get quite sluggish after a while, especially when switching tabs.

Since I don't care about the 10 million different configuration options in Classic Theme Restorer, and only wanted the search icon back, this addon did the job for me:
Old Search Fixed2