Google Safe Browsing and Basilisk Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Latitude

Google Safe Browsing and Basilisk

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-17, 13:57

If we could access Google Safe Browsing from Basilisk (Help -> Report deceptive site), does Basilisk use its database to protect its users from deceptive sites?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Google Safe Browsing and Basilisk

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-17, 15:23

Basilisk does not come with Safe Browsing built-in.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-17, 15:26

Google SafeBrowsing requires a (Business, non-free) Google API key. It will not work without such a key.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-17, 17:27

As far as i know palemoon does not use it so i see no reason to have it in basilisk but of course that decision is not mine to make,although ublock and other extensions do have filters etc plus there are countless online scanners out there too.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-23, 02:58

If Basilisk doesn't use Safe Browsing, so, what about.... the removal of that menu item?

It is useless to Basilisk, right?
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-05-23, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-05-23, 06:56

SafeBrowsing is disabled for official Basilisk builds, but I think it could still be built. I don't see any SafeBrowsing-related menu items, but try flipping the pref browser.safebrowsing.UI.enabled.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-05-23, 07:45

I enabled that preference and SafeBrowsing is fully enabled now in Basilisk. With the preference set to false the test sites don't work but when I set it to "true", then test sites at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... n-features
work. Tools/Preferences also now contains the choices for SafeBrowsing on the Security tab.

But if it requires a Google business API key to work then is it now working or not? Does it just appear to be working?

Will it obtain the current lists? There are "user set" preferences (I don't recall setting them) for the updates.

If SafeBrowsing cannot work in Basilisk then why is that extremely long list of preferences for it in about:config still there? Maybe very time consuming to remove (hence the added preference to disable the SafeBrowsing UI by default as a solution)?
Last edited by Smokey20 on 2018-05-23, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-23, 10:15

Seriously? :crazy:

So you're going in to about:config, enable a non-intended feature, find that it works in a test and expect us to provide support for or have answers about it beyond what I've already said that it requires an API key? If it works without one for you, then you can consider yourself "lucky" (with the dubious luck of sending all your browsing activity to Google, of course) but we can't answer questions about a service that isn't part of Basilisk's feature set and disabled/hidden for a good reason.
If you enable the controls and enable the feature, you are on your own for answers. Also keep in mind that other applications building on the UXP platform might maybe want to use Google Safebrowsing if they obtain a key for their application. Think a little bigger than one program here, please.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-23, 10:56

Of note, UXP issue #230 has made the whole safebrowsing feature optional at build time again (like it is in Pale Moon v27). Expect future builds of Basilisk to exclude it completely.

Important: keep in mind that Basilisk is development software. Its feature set can and will change over time, and included Firefox-isms and Mozilla-isms that are present may not be present in the future. Because the platform is broader than the application means that we won't have a polished, minimalist feature set in the applications per se, especially not in development vessels. If you poke around in about;config I'm sure you can find plenty of other things from the platform that are irrelevant to Basilisk or maybe even incompatible with it. That's why you shouldn't poke around in the realm of dragons.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-05-23, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-25, 12:50

Good to know that Pale Moon team would "purify" Basilisk's code from that proprietary Google Safe Browsing bloat code.