Want to talk about NoScript? Post here. Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Want to talk about NoScript? Post here.

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-05-14, 18:49

>My understanding of uM's cookie block behaviour is that it allows a cookie to be
>set, but then doesn't allow it to communicate.

exactly. it accepts all cookies, but sends only those you allowed it to send.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Stability issues, with NoScript or the like?

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-05-14, 19:25

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Believe it or not, that is one of the main issues I had with Noscript. Even after uninstalling it.
After uninstalling NoScript, you need to clean out entries left in your prefs.js file. NoScript leaves an enormous amount of code behind after uninstallation. I switched over to uBO, once I edited out the NoScript nasties left behind in my prefs.js file. All this was done after I made a backup of my profile.
Last edited by LAR Grizzly on 2018-05-14, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-14, 19:27

helloimustbegoing wrote:I went back just now and figured out how to get it working. I have to change the color to gray in the third column under 3rd-party scripts and 3rd-party frames. I guess this is better since it is at least still blocking some scripts.
coffeebreak wrote:BTW, With which email provider do you have these problems?
Microsoft Live

OK, I just created an Outlook email account (since "Live" is no longer available).
Hopefully what I've written will apply the same to both.

I set uBO to block third-party scripts/frames globally via dynamic filtering.
To log in and access the account, it was necessary to "noop" (turn grey) office365.com and gfx.ms on live.com (in the third column). In addition, to make Contacts work properly in Outlook beta, it was needed to noop office.com.

("Nooping" turns off dynamic filtering selectively where you choose, but allows static adblocking rules (from lists) to still work. It's not literally the same as a rule to allow scripts, but as a practical matter it has that effect (unless a rule from your lists interferes).)

Here's how I got there...
  1. Navigated to log in here: https://outlook.live.com/owa/.
    The page was blank.
    Clicked the uBO toolbar button to open the popup, to see which domains were trying (unsuccessfully) to connect
    (signified by the presence of "minus sign(s)" in the third-column box next to a listed domain).
    "Nooped" office365.com in the third column (turned it grey).
    Refreshed the page, saw that it worked, clicked the padlock to make the rule permanent.
    live1.png
  2. On the above page, clicked "Sign in".
    This opened a page whose url started with: https://login.live.com/login.srf?... and this page was blank.
    Opened the uBO popup.
    "Nooped" gfx.ms in the third column.
    Refreshed the page, saw that it worked, made it permanent.
    Successfully logged in.
    live2.png
  3. Now logged in (by default, it was to Outlook beta) , opened Contacts ("People").
    Creating new contacts didn't work in the beta. Message on Contacts page said: "This doesn't look right"
    Opened the uBO popup.
    "Nooped" office.com in the third column.
    Refreshed the page, saw that Contacts now worked, made the rule permanent.
    live3-contacts.png

If you'd like, you can manually add the following rules: Dashboard/Rules tab.
And restore your global 3rd-party block on scripts/frames.

Code: Select all

login.live.com gfx.ms * noop
outlook.live.com office365.com * noop
outlook.live.com office.com * noop

I'll just mention as a footnote, that I was able to login with NoScript too - the fiddling was a tad different, but it did work.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-14, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-05-14, 22:19

Thanks coffeebreak, I'll check it out later when I have more time.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-05-15, 01:33

I keep use noscript in three different profiles with reenabled blocklist and had the warning only one time. And going use noscript further, it blocks many other things beside scripts which i also use.
There is has to be a setting in the profile where the warning is accepted with override, though i have not found it yet.

Artemis3

Unread post by Artemis3 » 2018-05-17, 04:41

uMatrix is an interesting alternative, I downloaded v1.0.0 from AMO and it appears to be working fine.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-05-17, 09:23

Artemis3 wrote:uMatrix is an interesting alternative, I downloaded v1.0.0 from AMO and it appears to be working fine.
Off-topic:
I have 1.1.4 installed, IIRC it's the latest version that will work with Pale Moon.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-05-17, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-05-17, 17:29

Actually, this is about NoScript, UBlock Origin, and Webextensions.

(1) In Basilisk, I have NoScript 5.1.8.5 and UBlock Origin 1.16.6. I tried to install NoScript 10.1.8.1. It "installed", and the correct version number showed in the add-ons panel. As far as I was able to tell, though it didn't work: When I clicked the button (actually, on my setup I had a text button that said NoScript 10.1.8.1), but when I clicked it, nothing at all happened. I know that NoScript 10.1.8.1 uses Webextensions, so I guess that's the problem.

(2) In PM (27.9.1x64 and unstable portable v.27.9.1a1x64 from 2018-05-03), I have NoScript 5.1.8.5 and UBlock Origin 1.16.4. I tried to install UBlock Origin 1.16.6, but was told "PaleMoon doesn't support Webextensions", which I knew.

(3) I've also read this "Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available." (https://www.basilisk-browser.org/features.shtml)

So if I have this right, UBlock Origin 1.16.6 uses Webextensions and works with Basilisk, but NoScript 10.1.8.1 doesn't.

Is UBlock Origin 1.16.6 "in gecko-target mode", but NoScript 10.1.8.1 isn't?

Could someone please try to explain to me (in simple terms) what "gecko-target mode" means?

Thanks.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-05-17, 17:55

JoeyG wrote:(2) In PM (27.9.1x64 and unstable portable v.27.9.1a1x64 from 2018-05-03), I have NoScript 5.1.8.5 and UBlock Origin 1.16.4. I tried to install UBlock Origin 1.16.6, but was told "PaleMoon doesn't support Webextensions", which I knew.
For PM, you need to install firefox-legacy-1.16.4. It hasn't been updated to v1.16.6 yet.

Scroll down until you see the "Legacy" version (uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi).

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-05-17, 18:13

LAR Grizzly wrote:
JoeyG wrote:(2) In PM (27.9.1x64 and unstable portable v.27.9.1a1x64 from 2018-05-03), I have NoScript 5.1.8.5 and UBlock Origin 1.16.4. I tried to install UBlock Origin 1.16.6, but was told "PaleMoon doesn't support Webextensions", which I knew.
For PM, you need to install firefox-legacy-1.16.4. It hasn't been updated to v1.16.6 yet.

Scroll down until you see the "Legacy" version (uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi).

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have the "legacy" version.

Actually, my question was about "gecko-target mode". Thanks again.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-05-17, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-05-17, 18:25

JoeyG wrote: Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have the "legacy" version. Actually, my question was about "gecko-target mode". Thanks again.
No problem. I noticed that you tried to install v1.16.6 which is a webextension. I assumed that you didn't know about the legacy versions. My mistake. :oops: Sorry, I can't help you with the other questions. Someone will be along shortly...
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-05-17, 19:02

LAR Grizzly wrote:No problem. I noticed that you tried to install v1.16.6 which is a webextension. I assumed that you didn't know about the legacy versions. My mistake. :oops: Sorry, I can't help you with the other questions. Someone will be along shortly...
Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2018-05-18, 14:40

Changes/fixes:

We changed the language strings for softblocked items so people will cry less when we do our job.
So now you are just outright insulting your users?

I was willing to stick with Pale Moon through blacklisting a add-on that I use and have never had any issues with, but since you decided to just insult people like a little child you have taken yourself to a new low and I will be finding a new browser. Waterfox looks nice.
Last edited by Skaendo on 2018-05-18, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-18, 17:04

LAR Grizzly wrote:So if I have this right, UBlock Origin 1.16.6 uses Webextensions and works with Basilisk, but NoScript 10.1.8.1 doesn't.
Because they are two different extensions and most probably are using different functionality provided by WebExpenstions API. It should also be noted that, due to limitations of WebExtentions, NoScript was given special treatment (don't ask me what) by Mozilla.

You pointed to Basilisk features page , but probably didn't read this:
Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-18, 17:15

Skaendo wrote:
Changes/fixes:

We changed the language strings for softblocked items so people will cry less when we do our job.
So now you are just outright insulting your users?

I was willing to stick with Pale Moon through blacklisting a add-on that I use and have never had any issues with, but since you decided to just insult people like a little child you have taken yourself to a new low and I will be finding a new browser. Waterfox looks nice.
You do realize that this person was banned from the forum for this type of communication right? :wtf:
Perhaps that tells a whole lot more about the developers than you understand. But maybe you
just wanted an excuse to leave anyway. Good luck. :coffee:

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2018-05-18, 19:05

Thehandyman1957 wrote:You do realize that this person was banned from the forum for this type of communication right? :wtf:
Perhaps that tells a whole lot more about the developers than you understand. But maybe you
What are you talking about? The person whom I quoted? You mean the changelog?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-05-18, 19:38

adesh wrote:
LAR Grizzly wrote:So if I have this right, UBlock Origin 1.16.6 uses Webextensions and works with Basilisk, but NoScript 10.1.8.1 doesn't.
Actually, I was the person who wrote that sentence, not LAR Grizzly.

Thanks for your feedback.
adesh wrote:... You pointed to Basilisk features page , but probably didn't read this:
Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available.
I read it, and that's what caused me to ask my question: Could someone please try to explain in simple terms what "gecko-target mode" is?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2018-05-18, 23:34

This is the first entry in the change log for Palemoon 27.9.2. Now can we end this discussion?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-19, 00:28

Skaendo wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:You do realize that this person was banned from the forum for this type of communication right? :wtf:
What are you talking about? The person whom I quoted? You mean the changelog?
Yea, sorry. Missed that. just ignore me. :crazy: It just sounded like something the other guy might say. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-19, 01:49

Skaendo wrote:So now you are just outright insulting your users?
Only the ones who decide to take offense to the truth. :twisted:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite