Built PM for Linux Mint 17.3; have installation issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mintman

Built PM for Linux Mint 17.3; have installation issues

Unread post by Mintman » 2018-05-09, 01:55

PM builds and works fine on Mint 17.3 KDE, the last decent KDE that is also a LTS version.

My problem is that I "./mach run" after building, started installing my bookmarks & extensions, everything was fine, but when I finally "./mach install", I no longer have all of the proper configuration. Where were extensions & configurations written to when I was running from the build directory and where are these supposed to go now that it's installed & running from /usr/local/bin/palemoon? I don't want to play a million guesses trying to find this stuff. Can someone give me a pointer.

I would also like to point out that nobody has said how to install PM on the local machine after build. Nor has anyone said how the pmbuild directory could be converted to a .deb package. I would like to package PM for Mint and sendalong to the rest of the Linux Mint 17.3 community, but I thought that the pmbuild directory might be exclusively set up for Windows or something like that. Not sure what you have in mind. So, any help converting the pmbuild directory + custom extensions & settings & bookmarks into a working linux package would be appreciated.

-MM

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Built PM for Linux Mint 17.3; have installation issues

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-09, 03:48

"mach run" is just meant for a test drive of what you've built, which uses a temporary folder in the objdir to store your profile.

What you should do is run "mach package" -- this will give you a properly packaged and cleaned up tarball that you can install like you would an official tarball of an application.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-09, 05:57

Just to expand on Moonchild's answer, tarball will be created in pmbuild/dist directory with a name like palemoon-xxxx-tar.bz2

stevepusser already distributes .deb packages for Ubuntu and Debian, so you might want to work with him - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466

Mintman

Unread post by Mintman » 2018-05-09, 11:16

Moonchild wrote:"mach run" is just meant for a test drive of what you've built, which uses a temporary folder in the objdir to store your profile.

What you should do is run "mach package" -- this will give you a properly packaged and cleaned up tarball that you can install like you would an official tarball of an application.
I finally found the tarball in ~/pmbuild/dist. I don't see anything named 'objdir' or 'obj' anywhere in either build directory. There's this huge directory structure of files surrounding the tarball. What is all this stuff? Is there some post somewhere explaining what all the other files and directory structure are doing?

There are actually three directory structures that could use documentation: the download directory where we do the initial ./mach build, the ~/pmbuild directory the gets created after ./make package, and the directories used by an installed PM. Right now I see I'm running the executable out of /usr/local/lib/palemoon-27.9.0 with its own libraries and config files. I'm assuming user profiles/extensions/bookmarks/prefs go somewhere in my user directory. Is this documented in an old FF install?

I installed on my machine by running "./mach install" from the primary build directory. is that the preferred method?

I'll get in touch with stevenpusser and see if he wants any help.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-05-15, 00:08

How familiar are you with the Debian packaging system which Mint also uses?

I admit that my /debian/copyright file needs a lot of work, since separating out which files in the source are covered by the Mozilla public License and if there are others under other licenses looks like a monumental task that I really don't have the time or knowledge to handle...

Anyway, I recompress and rename the gz tarballs from github releases to tar.xz files to save time and uploads, since I have a pretty slow upload speed.

Anyway...install packaging-dev on your machine.

Get the debian.tar.xz and the orig.tar.xz from my repo...or if you want to go to the source, get it from github and rename it "palemoon_27.9.1.orig.tar.gz" Note that the version in debian/changelog must match this.

https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... ntu_16.04/

See if you can fix debian/copyright :wtf:

extract both tarballs and place the debian folder into the source folder. Open a terminal inside the source folder and run as sysadmin:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends
to install the build-depends automatically, or run

debuild -uc -us
to get a list of the missing B-Ds so you can install them manually.

My debian/rules file uses a little bit of code to determine which Ubuntu or Debian version it's building on, and forces the use of gcc-4.9 on releases where it's not the default gcc. On Mint, run

lsb_release -cs
to se if Mint shows a custom name for that release, or uses the Ubuntu distrelease name, such as "xenial". If it's a custom name, add it to the list in the rules file if your version of gcc is greater than 4.9. Then run

debuild -uc -us
to rebuild the same version as mine. If you wish to customize the version, first run "dch -i" first and customize the new stanza atop /debian/changelog.
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-05-15, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-15, 10:57

@ Mintman

Mint is my favorite linux distro. I would like to see the Pale Moon tarball packaged as a .deb file for Mint, but not strictly for KDE since in Mint 19.0, which will be released sometime next month (June), Mint will no longer offer an official version for KDE. I'm also not a fan of using the linux terminal. Since Mint by default installs the gdebi package installer and I use Xfce (gdebi for Gnome, gdebi-core), would your .deb files work to install Pale Moon in Xfce or is your endeavor strictly for KDE (gdebi-kde)?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-05-15, 19:51

Night Wing wrote:@ Mintman

Mint is my favorite linux distro. I would like to see the Pale Moon tarball packaged as a .deb file for Mint, but not strictly for KDE since in Mint 19.0, which will be released sometime next month (June), Mint will no longer offer an official version for KDE. I'm also not a fan of using the linux terminal. Since Mint by default installs the gdebi package installer and I use Xfce (gdebi for Gnome, gdebi-core), would your .deb files work to install Pale Moon in Xfce or is your endeavor strictly for KDE (gdebi-kde)?
Are you talking about the binaries built by Pale Moon repacked into a deb package? I also have packages for that in my OBS repo, so you can use the sources for that as a template to get started. You do know that the Ubuntu packages there are compatible with Mint, right?

Either way, or whatever desktop you're using, it makes no difference to installing a Pale Moon deb package.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-15, 21:03

stevepusser wrote:
Night Wing wrote:@ Mintman

Are you talking about the binaries built by Pale Moon repacked into a deb package? I also have packages for that in my OBS repo, so you can use the sources for that as a template to get started. You do know that the Ubuntu packages there are compatible with Mint, right?
I'm not a power user. My linux Pale Moon is never installed. I start linux Pale Moon via the exectuable file in the Pale Moon folder. Since Pale Moon is not installed, Pale Moon is not listed under Internet in the Mint menu. I create the launcher icon for it, via the Image Files in the Pale Moon folder and place the Pale Moon launcher icon on my Mint Panel.

To make it clearer why I like .deb packages, I'll use an example and the example will be linux Teamviewer. By default, linux Teamviewer is not installed in linux Mint (18.3).

The download page for linux Teamviewer is below.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

All I do is scroll on down the page and choose the Ubuntu .deb package in 64 bit for the newest version of linux Teamviewer. Then I download the .deb package to my desktop. Once on the desktop, I right click on it and a gui window opens up and in that window I choose, by left clicking on, "Install with Gdebi Package Manager". Gdebi installs Teamviewer automatically for me. If I want to uninstall an old version of TV, I open my Synaptic Package Manager, find Teamviewer and after a few steps in the Synaptic Package Manager, it uninstalls an old version of TV for me.

This way, I don't have to mess (and "mess" is the appropriate word) with the linux terminal or even see a binary file. I've learned in Mint, the Gdebi Package Manager is the cat's meow to install any deb package since it does everything automatically for me and it's counterpart, the Synaptic Package Manager, is another cat's meow for uninstalling any program in Mint.

The only time I use the linux terminal in Mint is when I don't have any other choice and I'm forced to use it. Then I have go to the Mint forums and ask for help which is always forth coming. And a user listed as "karlchen" is the one who always helps me. Since 2012 when I started with linux Mint 14; in six years time, I've only had to use the linux terminal in Mint, four times. This is why I like .deb packages. Using Gdebi in Mint, there is no aggravation or frustration which the terminal usually gives me if I have to use the terminal without any outside help.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox