Basilisk: start browser = 331MB

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

liskaaa

Basilisk: start browser = 331MB

Unread post by liskaaa » 2018-05-02, 14:05

start browser = 331MB ? LOL :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Ashampoo_Snap_2 maja 2018_13h59m56s_001_.png

Fedor2

Re: Basilisk: start browser = 331MB

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-05-02, 14:45

Give the details os bit type and other

My empty basilisk = 103mb on win8x32

By the way i use procexp , on the taskman it showed 72mb, poked basilisk for some time - procexp = 124 ; taskman still = 72
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2018-05-02, 14:49, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-02, 16:22

2-300 megs on startup sounds about right to load all the binary code for the program and all the support code from the operating system plus render the UI load the graphics and javascript to drive it plus extensions, their graphics and javascript etc.. What is the problem.. We live in a world where 4gbs is a minimum requirement overall for systems and generally 8gbs in a system is standard. I'd worry when it starts getting closer to a gig while nothing is loaded. This is 2018 after all not 1998.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-05-02, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-02, 17:41

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:2-300 megs on startup sounds about right to load all the binary code for the program and all the support code from the operating system plus render the UI load the graphics and javascript to drive it plus extensions, their graphics and javascript etc.. What is the problem.. We live in a world where 4gbs is a minimum requirement overall for systems and generally 8gbs in a system is standard. I'd worry when it starts getting closer to a gig while nothing is loaded. This is 2018 after all not 1998.
Not everyone in this world conforms to standard and software developers incorrectly assume the majority are using the "standard".Odd because i do not recall being asked what i use lol.
My basilisk uses approximately 250mb upon startup and more or less hovers around that figure.I do find it irritating that developers tend to cater for the platters of the "latest" hardware etc and the others get left by the wayside and it sadly seems to be coming a trend.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-02, 23:05

2 things:
  • A current-day web browser is much more alike a full-fledged game than your average desktop application. This is because people have pushed web browsers to handle all sorts of content (including games) internally. So, 300 MB on startup is not odd if your system provides all the knobs and buttons for the browser to initialize all systems; accelerated audio, video, a full javascript language compiler, html5, css3, webgl (3D graphics), etc. etc. the list goes on. Things also depend on what your home page is.
  • Basilisk will use more memory if you have more available. So if you have 8GB in your system expect it to use considerably more than if you have 1GB available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-05-03, 01:57

I think 331MB upon startup is quite good. Really good.
What you should note is how your RAM usage change when you have, e.g. 10 tabs open. Compare Basilisk to something like Chrome and you'll soon see how amazing Basilisk is :)
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-03, 08:19

Not just Basilisk. Of the other in-development UXP applications I am seeing similar base nothing but its self loaded usage. Though, slightly less because Basilisk has a few more items than say Pale Moon 28 does.

That can be accounted for by subtracting inital commit of the binary code for webrtc all the operational glue for DRM and the overhead in the js area of Australis "CustomizableUI" plus the support JS of the WebExtensions translation framework.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-05-03, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.