uBlock Origin Updater

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Unread post by eskaton » 2018-04-02, 13:14

Well, it's not like he promised to support PM and then broke that promise. That he never commited to supporting PM for the rest of his life is not some egregious sin. From his perspective I assume it's a matter of seeing a very small portion of his userbase relying on code that's blocking or complicating further development.

From the 1.15.20 Release Notes:
"Keep in mind I plan to drop support for Firefox/legacy once Firefox 60 ESR is released on May 7. This will remove a roadblock for simplifying uBO's code base in many areas."

I've seen Moonchild and yourself state the PM won't support or add functionality based on the same rationale.

I feel your ire is based on the poor feedback you received on your version of ABL / ABPrime and that most users here kept suggesting uBlock, which you took as a personal affront.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-02, 13:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:uBlock was NEVER designed for Pale Moon nor has he EVER made a SOLID commitment to Pale Moon support
Oh come on, could you please finally stop this war?! At the moment, uBlock perfectly suits Pale Moon and none of ABP forks does it any better. As for the future, I'm absolutely sure that if Pale Moon updates will require uBlock adaptation, it will be forked and fixed without any problems, just like it happens with other extensions that are important to users, or it will rest in peace if it's not. There is no drama or reason for accusations at all.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-02, 14:21

If it functions as is now then why update at all unless there are specific features which are needed.Updating like a rabid dog on heat can bring issues itself.as long as the filters can be updated manually then i see no issues with this.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-04-02, 14:28

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:ONCE and ONLY once did he fix an issue specifically for Pale Moon..
Well, to gorhill's defence, he actually committed a new Pale Moon fix just a few hour ago:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/commi ... f1a9940bc/
Because of this bug that I reported:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/3665/
As it turns out, this also affects SeaMonkey.
..but at the time that he fixed it, he believed it to be a Pale Moon issue only.
Last edited by Tomaso on 2018-04-02, 14:38, edited 2 times in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-02, 14:41

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:For THREE years now I been telling people not to rely on uBlock and Gorhill and this is why.. I tried giving him and his users the benefit of the doubt.. Tried to rationalize my previous criticism away to improve the situation even swallowed my pride to think of the bigger picture.. Even tried ignoring it.. uBlock was NEVER designed for Pale Moon nor has he EVER made a SOLID commitment to Pale Moon support. Yes, he accepted a patch from the pre-origin fork off point that added Toolkit widget support .. FOR SEAMONKEY.. Yes he added an install.rdf entry.. and yes even ONCE and ONLY once did he fix an issue specifically for Pale Moon..

However, even given that he has remained in a position that has only been ONE step away from the good folks at Adblock Plus with regards of supporting us. Maybe next time you will listen to me..

The bottom line is.. I speak only the truth and everything I say is almost always eventually right.
Who would you suggest users rely on then.?
its a damn fine extension and i for one am grateful it is here and the longevity of the developer is a nonsense.
the adblock plus team ,are they going to be around forever.?.Can they be relied upon.?
or you yourself.?.how long can your presence be relied upon.?.I am sorry but your logic is seriously flawed.

And with that note.....
The bottom line is.. I speak only the truth and everything I say is almost always eventually right

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-02, 20:57

I will be here until the heat death of the universe.. I think I have proven that already.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-02, 21:59

JustOff wrote::!: Please pay attention that today Raymond Hill announced that he plans to drop support for Firefox/legacy version of uBlock once Firefox 60 ESR is released on May 7.

Obviously this also means the end of uBlock Origin Updater :coffee:
Well, no surprise here. If no-one will fork the add-on in the end, the old versions can be used still without trouble. That is all what can be said to this topic seen from a neutral point of view.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-02, 22:36

Sajadi wrote:
JustOff wrote::!: Please pay attention that today Raymond Hill announced that he plans to drop support for Firefox/legacy version of uBlock once Firefox 60 ESR is released on May 7.

Well, no surprise here. If no-one will fork the add-on in the end, the old versions can be used still without trouble. That is all what can be said to this topic seen from a neutral point of view.
As long as the old versions still function and filterlists can be updated then i see no reason why UBO cannot be used for a few years more.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-04-03, 00:21

So I'm just wondering, won't it still work even after that? Won't the filters still be updated?
And if not, then what is the best alternative? :problem:

137ben
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 137ben » 2018-04-03, 00:31

Moonraker wrote:
Sajadi wrote:

As long as the old versions still function and filterlists can be updated then i see no reason why UBO cannot be used for a few years more.
I think it would be nice if someone made a fork that
a)Is hosted on the Pale Moon Add-Ons site, and
b)Got bugfixes for anything really significant that crops up.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-03, 06:01

137ben wrote:I think it would be nice if someone made a fork that
a)Is hosted on the Pale Moon Add-Ons site, and
b)Got bugfixes for anything really significant that crops up.
As Pale Moon is a project which sometimes requires the user to get active if they want something or if they want to keep something... Feel free to learn how to fork and maintain that add-on - or find a person who is helping you learning that skills or find someone who would be willing to do it for you and others ;)

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-28, 13:35

:idea: Some updates on the topic:

Raymond Hill decided not to drop support for XUL-based version of uBlock Origin completely and stated that he is willing to provide trivial fixes when necessary (pull requests are welcome). For this purpose, a separate brunch was created, and the file name of the future XUL-based versions will be uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi.

Warning! Files named uBlock0.firefox.xpi with version above 1.16.2 will contain WebExtension for Firefox (formerly called uBlock0.webext.xpi) and are not suitable for Pale Moon.

uBlock Origin Updater will be aligned with this changes soon.
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-04-28, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-29, 03:12

This is good (if only temporarily good) news. Thank you JustOff! :thumbup:
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-29, 05:50

>firefox-legacy

Sigh...
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-29, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-29, 06:37

JustOff wrote:Raymond Hill decided not to drop support for XUL-based version of uBlock Origin completely and stated that he is willing to provide trivial fixes when necessary (pull requests are welcome).

This is wonderful news!
Thank you JustOff, for posting.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-04-29, 11:07

JustOff wrote::idea: Some updates on the topic:

Raymond Hill decided not to drop support for XUL-based version of uBlock Origin completely and stated that he is willing to provide trivial fixes when necessary (pull requests are welcome). For this purpose, a separate brunch was created, and the file name of the future XUL-based versions will be uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi.

Warning! Files named uBlock0.firefox.xpi with version above 1.16.2 will contain WebExtension for Firefox (formerly called uBlock0.webext.xpi) and are not suitable for Pale Moon.

uBlock Origin Updater will be aligned with this changes soon.
FYI, joey04 has developed a fork of it - xulBlock Advanced (https://github.com/joey04/xulBlock-Advanced).

His thread on PM forum - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=18188
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-04-29, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-04-30, 01:12

Latitude wrote:FYI, joey04 has developed a fork of it - xulBlock Advanced (https://github.com/joey04/xulBlock-Advanced).

Considering he is moving on to other browsers, I wouldn't expect much further development of his fork.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-30, 02:53

Ouch. I'm reading the forum quite often now, but I often skip over usernames...
I just hope gorhill continues development.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-30, 12:03

BlueOwl wrote:I just hope gorhill continues development.

See six posts above yours.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-04-30, 13:51

Off-topic:
Nigaikaze wrote:
Latitude wrote:FYI, joey04 has developed a fork of it - xulBlock Advanced (https://github.com/joey04/xulBlock-Advanced).

Considering he is moving on to other browsers, I wouldn't expect much further development of his fork.
See here please :
https://github.com/joey04/xulBlock-Advanced/issues/13

I quote joey04 :
"I will no longer maintain xBA"
"xBA will continue to reside here for anyone interested in using it or forking it."
Last edited by Nightbird on 2018-04-30, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.