Basilisk display sharpness/contrast vs Pale Moon

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

BillZM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Basilisk display sharpness/contrast vs Pale Moon

Unread post by BillZM » 2018-04-16, 14:15

On my HP laptop, Basilisk screen display looks just like Firefox, fine but lacking in apparent sharpness and certainly contrast compared to Pale Moon's excellent display. With Pale Moon, black fonts are really black, showing much better contrast than Basilisk/Firefox (black fonts are grayish, background white a bit bluish compared with Pale Moon). Pale Moon's display is just richer.

I've been searching through about:config differences between Basilisk and Pale Moon, thinking there's a preference I could set which would help Basilisk match Pale Moon's display, but that doesn't seem to work.

I'm wondering if it's some OS-related smoothing that Pale Moon somehow overrides. Pale Moon's fonts seem well-formed though, at least to my eyes.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1709 32-bit with latest 32-bit browsers.

Any hints? Is there a tweak for Basilisk (and FIrefox?) to make the display match Pale Moon's?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Basilisk display sharpness/contrast vs Pale Moon

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-16, 15:40

I see no difference between Tycho (Pale Moon 27) and UXP (Basilisk Take 2/Pale Moon 28.0.0a1) in the way fonts are rendered on Windows 7.

Maybe Mozilla changed something after the post-esr refactor storm.. Who knows.. Part of the reason why we rebooted UXP as a project was to avoid a bunch of stuff we found out later with the codebase that current released Basilisk is using.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Basilisk display sharpness/contrast vs Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-18, 22:26

What you're seeing is most likely the effect of the Skia library, because "why use tried-and-tested native rendering when you can use a one-size-fits-all Google thing that cuts corners"...

Skia may be faster in tests, but lacks fidelity needed for page content, IMNSHO. On Windows, you wouldn't see it unless you can't use Direct2D for some reason or another.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite