Migrating from Firefox 59.02

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Logos

Migrating from Firefox 59.02

Unread post by Logos » 2018-04-08, 10:26

After losing around four hours of typing and discovering that Lazarus Form Recovery had been disabled at some point with no good equivalent available, I find myself seeking a new browser to try, and Pale Moon is known to me as a browser that is basically Firefox by with less drastic changes over the years.

I have successfully installed Pale Moon, and have managed to migrate my bookmarks by exporting them as html and importing that, but I find my efforts stymied by the importation of my session and history. I am aware that simply dropping the Firefox profile folder in, overwriting Pale Moon's, would likely work but would cause problems from overwriting configuration files. As such, I'd like to simply copy the relevant files.

As nearly as I can tell, this was once stored in sessionCheckpoints.json and sessionstore.js. Unfortunately, it would appear that sessionstore.js has not been written to in roughly a month - more or less when I last updated FF - and when importing the two to Pale Moon it opens a session from around that time. There is also a session.rdf, which was associated with an addon, but that appears to have stopped being written to at the same time. Meanwhile, I am quite unsure where the history is being saved.

As both of these are fairly important to me for properly comparing the two browsers before switching, I'd like to ask for help. Where can I look to find the files containing the current session of Firefox and its history?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Migrating from Firefox 59.02

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-08, 17:43

Firefox Profiles are no longer completely (barely) compatible with Pale Moon in a very serious way as of Firefox 55.. but the problems have been steadily growing for a long time now.. DO NOT just dump a Firefox profile and expect Pale Moon to function correctly...

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-04-08, 17:51

Perhaps you could use FEBE to port those items? :think:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-08, 18:36

How? How are they gonna run FEBE? It isn't a webextension and never can be..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-08, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-04-08, 18:52

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Perhaps you could use FEBE to port those items? :think:
FEBE will not work past Fx 56 as it is a XUL browser extension, not a Web Exetension.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-04-08, 19:03

Logos wrote:As both of these are fairly important to me for properly comparing the two browsers before switching, I'd like to ask for help. Where can I look to find the files containing the current session of Firefox and its history?
According to Mozilla Support:
The places.sqlite file contains all your Firefox bookmarks and lists of all the files you've downloaded and websites you’ve visited.
and
The sessionstore.jsonlz4 file stores the currently open tabs and windows.
You could try to see if copying these files will help, although I do not know what results you will get or whether you will break Pale Moon, so be careful! :!: Additionally, I do not know how to extract only the browsing history from places.sqlite without getting the file-download history and the bookmarks (which you already transferred).
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-08, 19:15

Mozilla support doesn't have much of a concept of Pale Moon.. Firefox profiles are incompatible. End of story.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-04-08, 19:30

gracious1 wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:Perhaps you could use FEBE to port those items? :think:
FEBE will not work past Fx 56 as it is a XUL browser extension, not a Web Exetension.
Ahh yea, I missed that. Thx :oops:

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-04-08, 21:22

Cmd+Shift+D to save all tabs as bookmarks in a folder, export as HTML and import into Pale Moon, right-click the folder and select Open All in Tabs—Session moved.

As for browsing history, I'm not sure, but there's probably a way.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-08, 23:43

There is no supported way to transfer history from Firefox.