YouTube downloader extension with Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: YouTube downloader extension with Basilisk?

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-03-21, 17:54

Or you could get off your soapbox & stop preaching to everybody, and stop assuming everybody is a criminal.

You have no idea what content I (and others) download. The internet is awash will videos that are legal to download... tutorials, help videos, videos put out by software developers which explain features & functions, news clips that don't play properly in the browser, etc, etc, etc.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-21, 21:50

Trapper852 wrote:... None of this applies if you install v2.4.7.50. Simply install it, install ffmpeg, set up the few simple preferences, and you're done. You now have a one-click downloading solution right in your browser.
Thank you for your follow up.

I've had ffmpeg on my machine forever; I hadn't read the Ant instructions carefully enough.

Again, thank you for your help.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-21, 23:59

This topic says YouTube.. So I can assume YouTube. Thus, anything you download off YouTube is content you don't own and THUS is committing piracy. In general however, unless the site or player in question OFFERS a download button or link to the raw file.. It can be reasonably assumed you are NOT supposed to do it.

Try again.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-22, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-22, 00:11

Hmm so developers of video download extensions are then in fact aiding and abetting theft and piracy.would this be correct in accordance with the mindset here.
So why dont you-tube just put an entire block on all downloading etc,Im sure google has the resources for this.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-22, 00:43

MSE already made it more complicated by splitting video and audio streams and using chunks.. DRM will eventually come to YouTube as it moves more in the direction of trying to be a cable network. Regardless, I shouldn't have to put of a fence to keep you from stealing my lawn chairs should I?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-22, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-22, 12:26

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:..., I shouldn't have to put of a fence to keep you from stealing my lawn chairs should I?
The digital world has rendered the issue of "theft" and "stealing" somewhat complicated.

The analogy of the lawn chairs, I think, will illustrate what I mean quite aptly.

If you have lawn chairs (which the writer seems to imply are on the lawn), you own them through purchase, theft, receiving them as a "gift", or whatever. In any case, not only do you own them, but they're in your possession, and you can use them.

However, and this is decisive to the issue, if someone steals them, even though you still technically own them, they're gone - they're no longer in your possession, and you can't use them anymore.

When people upload videos to YouTube, we enter a whole different world, the world of "digital rights".

Let's take a look at the the two FBI warnings that appear on some DVDs and BluRays.
Please notice that it says, "The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal." Please also notice that it DOESN'T say "The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work or any part thereof is illegal."

Just as the writer of the post upon which I'm commenting here makes assumptions, I'm going to assume here that the FBI people who formulated the warning knew YouTube exists and also knew people sometimes just upload a scene or an individual tune from, e.g. a ripped dvd. Why didn't they include or any part thereof?

And I also wonder who has the "authority" to authorize reproduction or distribution. I mean, if I legally bought the disk, am I not the owner? But what do I actually own - the silver plastic disk, or does my ownership somehow extend to the content? I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to be a pretty complicated issue.

This warning somehow pulls at our heartstrings by implying that "digital theft harms the economy".

(1) I can read, and I see that the warning includes the word "theft". Here's how the Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines the word "theft":
a: the act of stealing; specifically: the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
b: an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theft

Let's take a closer look: "the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it."

(1a) "taking and removing" -> When I download a YouTube vid, I neither take it nor remove it.

(1b) "with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it" -> The "rightful owner" (usually not the uploader, by the way) isn't deprived of anything other than the potential income that might be earned if I didn't have access to the vid on the web and was forced to buy it, say from Amazon or Apple. And if I did buy it, what do I own - some bytes stored somewhere on my computer or "a video clip" or "song"? It's really pretty complex.

(By the way, I haven't visited the website to which the warning politely invited me.)

(2) What's "the economy"? All I can say in this regard is that if a government sells weapons for millions or billions that are used to kill innocent civilians, and it helps "the economy", am I supposed to believe that it's "good"? When I download a song that makes me happy, I have no problem rationalizing my "crime", even if it, in some minuscule way, theoretically "harms the economy" that has benefited nicely from the weapons sales.

And let's be brutally honest for a second: Despite the numerous and repeated acts of egregious theft resulting from downloading of YouTube vids, if you look at Amazon's and Apple's profits, they (and their stockholders) ain't doin' too bad. Where's the harm to the economy?

Am I comparing apples (pun intended) with oranges? Maybe baby, but I like fruit salad.

Anyway, I'll end this roundabout comment by acknowledging that I think I understand what the author of the posting that I've addressed here was getting at, and it certainly shows that the person's heart is "in the right place".

Living in a small hole somewhere in the "real world" as I do (or at least I assume I do), I confess that - for better or worse - I tend to relativize things. In this case, I have looked my conscience squarely in the eye (yes, my conscience actually has an eye), and when I explained to it my reservations about downloading YouTube videos, the good ol' conscience-eye just winked and said, "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

-- The End (almost)

P.S. By quoting the online dictionary, did I "steal" anything? After all, I cited the "source". Hmmmm, I guess I'll have to find the time to read Merriam-Webster's "fair use" policy. :wtf:
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-03-22, 19:53, edited 6 times in total.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Zitrus

Unread post by Zitrus » 2018-03-22, 16:41

In Germany and other european free constitutional democracies it is not forbidden to download Youtube videos. If someone wants to educate himself here just 2 of uncountable links of interest (content is in german - but I think when i can write this in (not so perfect) english others can read a text in german language which about 100 millon can):

https://www.fachanwalt.de/ratgeber/darf ... downloaden
https://praxistipps.chip.de/download-vo ... nicht_9496

Sueing others "stealing" and being "thieves and criminals" isn't acceptable! :thumbdown:
Off-topic:
The indecent speech used by some folks here is disgusting me in a way that I decided to end my membership
Last edited by Zitrus on 2018-03-22, 19:19, edited 3 times in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-22, 19:45

[quote="Zitrus"]Sueing others "stealing" and being "thieves and criminals" isn't acceptable! :thumbdown:

I think what Zitrus means is something like, "Accusing others of 'stealing' and denigrating them as being 'thieves and criminals' isn't acceptable!"

@Zitrus -> Bitte entschuldigen Sie mir wenn ich Ihre Aussage falsch interpretiert habe. (Please excuse me if I've misinterpreted what you said.)

Zitrus

Unread post by Zitrus » 2018-03-22, 19:58

JoeyG wrote:
Zitrus wrote:Sueing others "stealing" and being "thieves and criminals" isn't acceptable! :thumbdown:

I think what Zitrus means is something like, "Accusing others of 'stealing' and denigrating them as being 'thieves and criminals' isn't acceptable!"

@Zitrus -> Bitte entschuldigen Sie mir wenn ich Ihre Aussage falsch interpretiert habe. (Please excuse me if I've misinterpreted what you said.)
Thank You, you are right! My English isn't so good.
Off-topic:
But my decision is clear to end membership here.
Last edited by Zitrus on 2018-03-22, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-03-24, 18:14

This is perversion of property conception at all. Will you stop breathe and close your eyes if one claimed that the air and sun are property and disallowed of unauthorized usage?

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-03-28, 09:46

wow. Mr. Tobin, you're actually insane. i've been around these parts for almost 4 years and never made a comment about your behavior and attitude, but it has only gotten worse... patronizing people outside and inside the community comes naturally to you. it's very disappointing because the perception of the Pale Moon team would improve quite favorably, only if you conduct yourself with a little more grace and humility all this time. but somehow you can't help yourself from acting crude and disrespectful whenever given the opportunity, and in some cases (like this one here), lacking the most basic common of social courtesies
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-03-28, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-28, 19:24

Trapper852 wrote:None of this applies if you install v2.4.7.50. Simply install it, install ffmpeg, set up the few simple preferences, and you're done. You now have a one-click downloading solution right in your browser.
Bad news: Ant 2.4.7.50 stopped working after I updated to Basilisk version of 2018.03.21 :cry:

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-03-29, 01:37

Ant v.2.4.7.50 is still working fine for me in Basilisk 2018.03.21

You might want to check Ant's preference dialog window & make sure that the correct path for your ffmpeg converter is still listed correctly.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-29, 10:57

Trapper852 wrote:Ant v.2.4.7.50 is still working fine for me in Basilisk 2018.03.21
OK, I don't know what happened on my machine.
Trapper852 wrote:You might want to check Ant's preference dialog window & make sure that the correct path for your ffmpeg converter is still listed correctly.
ImageEverything is OK as far as I'm able to see.

But it's OK. To be honest, I download stuff from YouTube about once every two or three months. The little program I mentioned "4KDownloader" or whatever it's called seems to work fine. I'm gonna stick with it. Getting rid of all the various downloading extensions I've got installed in my browsers probably isn't a bad idea anyway.

Bye bye Ant and all the others.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-03-29, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-04-01, 07:58

Don't use "youtube.com".

Use "hooktube.com" instead - it has integrated "Download" button.

Disclaimer: I don't condone piracy - my info is totally educational in nature.
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-04-01, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-04-01, 08:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Or bypass the hassle and stop stealing content that you do not own or have a right to download accelerating DRM adoption everywhere because the majority of people simply can't help being thieves and criminals.

That's right, you people are responsible for the proliferation of DRM.. You're doing it right now.. Stop it.
Off-topic:
Some would use the downloaders to preserve contents YouTube wants to "censor" - like MGTOW videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MGTOW/comments ... ce_flimsy/
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-04-01, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2018-04-13, 21:31

I use flashgot while it's not a youtube downloader it can download embedded video's from many sites inc youtube (for which it offers a choice of resolutions and formats)
https://flashgot.net/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /flashgot/
it's one of the addons that brought me to basilisk

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-15, 21:30

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:MSE already made it more complicated by splitting video and audio streams and using chunks.. DRM will eventually come to YouTube as it moves more in the direction of trying to be a cable network. Regardless, I shouldn't have to put of a fence to keep you from stealing my lawn chairs should I?
Actually i do tend to agree with you on this point and why DRM is becoming neccesary.This practice of obtaining this kind of stuff is not new.In the 1980s when the commodore amiga was at its height piracy did in fact affect the prices of the amigas software.It was rather easy to break copy protection.(i should point out i always bought my amiga software and only got free stuff on magazines or the public domain.)

It did eventually kill the amiga which was the best home computer on the planet in the 80s.
Last edited by Moonraker on 2018-04-15, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-06-01, 14:27

1) being so strict,radical and legal you should want youtube service being closed and owners (google) in jail because most content there has not approval of creator or right owners but the business and the world is still going on.
2) laws and rights in europe and non profit
3) you don't know how much content is free and what users of extension want to download

You are presuming many things but as far as you cannot prove you have to speak in a more hypothetical way. Do not take it personally and i like to read you in PM forum ;)
Anyway
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:This topic says YouTube.. So I can assume YouTube. Thus, anything you download off YouTube is content you don't own and THUS is committing piracy. In general however, unless the site or player in question OFFERS a download button or link to the raw file.. It can be reasonably assumed you are NOT supposed to do it.

Try again.
Last edited by dapgo on 2018-06-01, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2018-09-01, 18:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You could always stop stealing other people's content instead.
It's not always stealing. Some video content is in the public domain, whether because it was dedicated to the public domain by the creator or because it's aged out of copyright protection. (Amarilly of Clothes-Line Alley, a 1918 silent film featuring Mary Pickford, is an example of the latter.) Some videos may have been issued under a Creative Commons or similar license. (Vimeo has an entire category devoted to these, with literally millions of videos in it.) Depending on which jurisdiction you're in, it may be legal to make "fair use" of excerpts even of copyrighted videos -- for, e.g., education, public-interest commentary, or parody -- without permission or payment. In short, it's not always stealing. It depends on what you're downloading and/or what use you make of it.