Long-term usage of basilisk

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Long-term usage of basilisk

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 20:07

Sajadi wrote:Pale Moon will most likely never support Webextensions. As they require the Australis UI - aka inside Basilisk. Pale Moon does not have Australis - so Webextensions are not working for sure as they should and it would make no sense to have them in Pale Moon.
No this is utter nonsense.Firefox as it is now at v59 quantum uses web extensions and it is not australis.This evening i installed basilisk and was able to install "dark mode" which is a web extensions.The natural course of time should reveal that palemoon will be merged with basilisk and become one entity.Hopefully basilisk will be around for quite a while although mr tobins earlier comments were not very encouraging and seemed rather pessimistic in its tone.
People need reassurances that there will be continuance of basilisk and when it comess to browser choices there should not be any doubts as to how long the platform will be around.

Overall basillisk seems to be working just fine however the passage of time may inflict great hardship on the developers in the future as present and forseeable technologies become more advanced and the web as a whole is in a never ending whirlpool of changing standards. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-21, 20:20

Moonraker wrote:The natural course of time should reveal that palemoon will be merged with basilisk and become one entity.
Not true. Basilisk is intended to be test software for the UXP platform - back-end code of sorts that Pale Moon will eventually use as well. But the two browsers will always be two completely separate applications with different front-ends and feature sets. Pale Moon will remain Pale Moon. This has been repeated at length numerous times.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 20:29

Isengrim wrote:
Moonraker wrote:The natural course of time should reveal that palemoon will be merged with basilisk and become one entity.
Not true. Basilisk is intended to be test software for the UXP platform - back-end code of sorts that Pale Moon will eventually use as well. But the two browsers will always be two completely separate applications with different front-ends and feature sets. Pale Moon will remain Pale Moon. This has been repeated at length numerous times.
Not true.
I have seen for myself here on this very forum it cited that palemoon will eventually be ported over to UXP.It stands to reason my good man that they will merge as one.Why should a relatively small developement team tackle 2 completely different entities and put more pressure on themselves.The suggestion is preposterous .

Pale moon 29.4.1

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-03-21, 20:33

It is true that Pale Moon and Basilisk will use the same platform beginning later this year, but the two are and will remain completely seperate applications. What Isengrim said is completely true. Search the forum you will find this has been explained in detail many times.
Last edited by trava90 on 2018-03-21, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 20:39

trava90 wrote:It is true that Pale Moon and Basilisk will use the same platform beginning later this year, but the two are and will remain completely seperate applications. What Isengrim said is completely true. Search the forum you will find this has been explained in detail many times.
Thanl you trava for that information.starting off with the same platform must im sure eventually lead to a complete merge and rightfully so as i would imagine palemoon would benefit greatly from this as a whole.Time is a great healer and revealer and things that are stated here and now can also change in the future.

Pale moon 29.4.1

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-03-21, 20:43

Yes Pale Moon will benefit from using the UXP platform that Basilisk uses, but that does not mean that the two will ever merge. That is the whole premise of UXP: a single platform that can be used by multiple applications.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-21, 22:07

Moonraker wrote:No this is utter nonsense.Firefox as it is now at v59 quantum uses web extensions and it is not australis.
At least that is what i have understood from irc - as that topic was discussed there at one point. I suggest you visit there and ask for yourself.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-03-21, 22:10, edited 3 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-03-22, 08:56

Moonraker wrote:starting off with the same platform must im sure eventually lead to a complete merge and rightfully so as i would imagine palemoon would benefit greatly from this as a whole.Time is a great healer and revealer and things that are stated here and now can also change in the future.
Not "must." Some would disagree that a "complete merge" of the application code would be beneficial—A lot of people like the current Pale Moon UI more than Australis, for example. Also, I'm not sure why you'd bother trying to merge them when one or the other would be just fine; a lot of both of them is shared underlying code inherited from Mozilla, and a lot what's different is only better or worse by personal preference
Off-topic:
(except that you can mute all audio sources in individual tabs in Basilisk, which is nice)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-03-22, 12:33

Off-topic:
SpockMan02 wrote:(except that you can mute all audio sources in individual tabs in Basilisk, which is nice)
I recommend the Expose Noisy Tabs extension. I use this extension personally and it works great!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-22, 14:15

Let me tell you guys something.. Basilisk and Pale Moon in many respects are very mutually exclusive when it comes to application features and code despite them using a similar and soon to be same backend platform..

If this merge bullshit was on the table with no other alternitive possible? That would be it.. I'd be so done and so would just about any regular who has been around.

Wanna know what happened last time this was even casually considered as a theoretical approach?

I ported Pale Moon up 14 Mozilla codebases in two weeks. Oh hai Pale Moon 27.

No.. This won't happen because there is no need for it to.. You want it? Build your self your own browser application with UXP..

BROWSERS FOR EVERYBODY!
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-22, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-22, 14:29

Moonraker: Basislisk and Pale Moon are 2 different applications.

Just because they use the same platform does not in any way mean that they must/should/will merge to become one application. By that logic, Thunderbird, Seamonkey and Firefox would have had to have merged into one... something.

You can build wildly different applications with XUL, that all fill a different purpose and all support different things. Extensions and extension technologies are application-specific, not platform-universal, especially so if they use front-end compromises that are only found in particular applications that don't even have anything to do with the platform.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-22, 14:48

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:If this merge bullshit was on the table with no other alternitive possible? That would be it.. I'd be so done and so would just about any regular who has been around.

BROWSERS FOR EVERYBODY!
Just saying - I would stop using Pale Moon if i would be forced to accept the solution Australis UI + CTR to get back my customization. Merging.. hell no!

I rather would use Chrome before i would touch Quantum or Australis - Because if there would only be look-alikes around i rather would use the real thing before i would use an imitation.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-03-22, 15:24, edited 4 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-03-22, 23:56

Off-topic:
trava90 wrote:
SpockMan02 wrote:(except that you can mute all audio sources in individual tabs in Basilisk, which is nice)
I recommend the Expose Noisy Tabs extension. I use this extension personally and it works great!
Yes, it is a good add-on, and I use it, but unfortunately it cannot detect or mute audio from Flash. So, for example, I cannot mute a Tetris Flash game while listening to something in another tab, but Basilisk is capable of this (it landed in Firefox 42).
Last edited by SpockFan02 on 2018-03-22, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.