Is there a memory leak in Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Smokey20

Is there a memory leak in Basilisk?

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-12-23, 14:02

I LOVE this browser. It has already, in this short period time since its public release, become my favorite browser (over even Pale Moon).

However, the memory usage is GIGANTIC. Pale Moon has always had a way too large memory usage, but at its highest about ONE-HALF what Basilick uses.
Saturday, December 23, 2017 03;41;23001.png
I'm waiting on delivery of a new desktop computer and after seeing this amount of memory usage, I am worrying that I made a mistake in not buying 32GB RAM for the new computer. I didn't think I would need more than 16GB because on Windows 8 Pro I never exceed 50% RAM usage in 5 years and that is with Pale Moon being the biggest eater of RAM. But Basilick is showing about 4GB RAM being utilized with a total of 70% of RAM available used!

I run my desktop 24/7/365 with several browsers always running. (The one I use the most is this wonderful Basilick). I have ONLY 49 tabs open and usually have 70 or more on various browsers with nothing like the amount of RAM being eaten by Basilick. I do not want to have to be very frequently rebooting the computer as simply closing and restarting Basilick does not fix this problem. (Plus, I don't want to wait several times a day for 50 or more tabs to load each time I close and restart Basilick).

In comparison, Fx 52.5 ESR has 50 tabs open and has a very modest amount of RAM used. I understand Basilick is beta and may have problems so I don't mean to criticize but to alert you to a problem that for me is a serious one.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Is there a memory leak in Basilisk?

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-23, 19:30

Personally i think you have issues with your computer if palemoon is using that much ram.that is ridiculous.
i use pm on linux and it only uses 255mb so there is definately issues with your computer setup and i would suggest you address those first and then test browser performances.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-23, 20:45

Doesn't address the fact he is talking about Basilisk... In a Thread about Basilisk in the Basilisk board about Basilisk and UXP which next year Pale Moon will be ported to...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-23, 21:32

Smokey20 wrote:I do not want to have to be very frequently rebooting the computer as simply closing and restarting Basilick does not fix this problem.
This is the key sentence out of your entire report.
If closing basilisk and re-opening it does not fix the issue, then it cannot be a leak in the browser. If it would be a memory leak, it would be solved by a browser restart as all memory would be released to the system on application shutdown.

If it uses this much memory on a fresh start, then you should look at which of your 50 tabs uses a ridiculous amount of memory (see about:memory). If it's not used by any of the tabs specifically, then see where this memory is reported as being used.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 13:13

No disrespect intended here but if you are opening 50 tabs at once then why on earth complain about ram usgae.?.what did you seriously expect.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-03-22, 09:04

Moonraker wrote:No disrespect intended here but if you are opening 50 tabs at once then why on earth complain about ram usgae.?.what did you seriously expect.?
I have 203 tabs open right now (sorted into ten groups with the wonderful Tab Groups add-on; and yes, Tobin, I am abusing tabbed browsing ;)), and I find that Pale Moon handles them perfectly fine. Mozilla-based browsers seem to handle large numbers of tabs very gracefully (and, anecdotally, Pale Moon crashes/has problems with sessions much less frequently than Firefox; almost never).