YouTube downloader extension with Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

YouTube downloader extension with Basilisk?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-12, 22:22

Is there a YouTube downloader extension (not an external program) that works with Basilisk?

Thank you.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: YouTube downloader extension with Basilisk?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-03-12, 23:30

Have you tried any of these?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-13, 16:46

Thank you.

Yes, I've tried all of them. Some of them don't install, some don't do anything, and the rest give a download of 0 bytes.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-13, 17:31

I use netvideohunter and it works perfectly in palemoon.
http://netvideohunter.com/
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-13, 17:49

Netvideohunter appears to install OK in Basilisk, but it doesn't find any videos.

I had it set up to open in a new tab, which it did. I was able to see the text and two little ads in the right pane, but the left pane, in which the video to be downloaded is supposed to appear, remained blank.

Thanks anyway.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-03-16, 01:35

Ant Video Downloader v2.4.7.50 works well for me in Basilisk.

Although you specified only extensions & not external programs, Internet Download Manager (IDM) works well in Basilisk also.

Between the two of them, I can pretty much download everything on YouTube & elsewhere.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-16, 03:53

You could always stop stealing other people's content instead.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-16, 12:35

Trapper852 wrote:Ant Video Downloader v2.4.7.50 works well for me in Basilisk.
It didn't find any videos to download. I got the message "You may have to start to play the video", but it was already playing.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-16, 12:43

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You could always stop stealing other people's content instead.
Thank you for your observation.

Very generally formulated, here in Germany, downloading from You Tube is not illegal as long as you are not logged in.
https://praxistipps.chip.de/download-vo ... nicht_9496

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to translate the article into English. If you're interested, there's a very good German->English translator online.
https://www.deepl.com/translator

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-03-16, 13:21

strange that you're having incompatibility with all of these addons, including those confirmed to be working by other users. have you tried testing with all your other addons disabled?
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You could always stop stealing other people's content instead.
peak tobin

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-16, 13:39

Well maybe if video download sites were so concerned about downloading extensions then they would put a stop to such practices and implement more stringent mitigations.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-16, 15:08

fillerup wrote:strange that you're having incompatibility with all of these addons, including those confirmed to be working by other users. have you tried testing with all your other addons disabled?
Good idea. Thank you.

OK, I've now tried the Ant, Easy YouTube Downloader Express, Video Downloader Professional, 1-Click YouTube Video Download, YouTube Downloader 4K, and NetVideo Hunter.

I used an absolutely new, pristine profile with no other extensions. I also tried them all individually, i.e., I installed one, when it didn't work I uninstalled it and restarted Basilisk, installed the next one, etc.

Not one of them worked "out of the box". I think it was the Ant that told me I had to install a converter, some produced downloads with 0 bytes, etc.

"fillerup" mentioned "those confirmed to be working by other users", but in rereading the other posts, actually only one person, Trapper852, explicitly said an addon (the Ant) was working with Basilisk. As I mentioned, it asked me to install some type of converter.

I'm going to drop this for now. Though it requires a couple of extra clicks, I've found an external program called 4K Video Downloader. So far, it's done what I want. I guess if I really get desperate, I'll use my Firefox ESR, in which I've got a couple of working downloaders installed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, and have a nice weekend.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-03-16, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-03-17, 01:54

JoeyG wrote:Not one of them worked "out of the box". I think it was the Ant that told me I had to install a converter, some produced downloads with 0 bytes, etc.

"fillerup" mentioned "those confirmed to be working by other users", but in rereading the other posts, actually only one person, Trapper852, explicitly said an addon (the Ant) was working with Basilisk. As I mentioned, it asked me to install some type of converter.

I'm going to drop this for now. Though it requires a couple of extra clicks, I've found an external program called 4K Video Downloader. So far, it's done what I want. I guess if I really get desperate, I'll use my Firefox ESR, in which I've got a couple of working downloaders installed.
You gave up on Ant too soon... all you have left to do is install the FFmpeg video converter like the program asked you to do, then everything will work perfectly. FFmpeg video converter is freeware, and is universally used be many, many programs. It's needed when you're trying to download a streaming video, so that it can compile the various pieces together on your computer. Otherwise your downloads will fail, as you already found out.

You can find all the relevant info about FFmpeg here:

https://support.ant.com/hc/en-us/articl ... -X-VERSION

and

https://support.ant.com/hc/en-us/articl ... converter-

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-03-17, 08:14

Video Downloader Professional works for me. I have K-Lite Codec Pack installed, but I'm not sure it's required.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-03-19, 15:38

I use Video DownloadHelper v6.3.1 in both Pale Moon and Basilisk. I've also tested the Web Ext version 7.20 successfully in Basilisk (I use v6.3.1 to keep synchronized with Pale Moon, plus I prefer this version.).
Works good enough on Youtube (not always on "supported sites" though).
Like most programs for downloading from HTML5, some muxing of the audio+video is often required, thus an external converter.

Here isa partial bit on my modification notes for this addon from my list (left out bit related to OSes):
"install.rdf add ID for Pale Moon as Target - delete META-INF folder"
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-03-19, 15:49, edited 2 times in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-20, 12:06

Trapper852 wrote: You gave up on Ant too soon... all you have left to do is install the FFmpeg video converter like the program asked you to do ...
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I have ffmpeg on my machine, so I decided to give "Ant" another try and installed version 3.2.34.

When I tried to download a video, this is what I got.

As you can see, it doesn't say anything about ffmpeg, but rather, it asks me to install something called "Native Application".

Any idea what's going on?

Again, thank you for your reply.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-20, 12:18

dr_st wrote:Video Downloader Professional works for me. I have K-Lite Codec Pack installed, but I'm not sure it's required.

It didn't work at all with my profile, so I tried it with a brand-new profile with no other extensions whatsoever installed. This is what I got.
I guess something must have changed.

Thanks anyway.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-03-20, 12:27

kelendral wrote:I use Video DownloadHelper v6.3.1 in both Pale Moon and Basilisk. I've also tested the Web Ext version 7.20 successfully in Basilisk (I use v6.3.1 to keep synchronized with Pale Moon, plus I prefer this version.).
Works good enough on Youtube (not always on "supported sites" though).
Like most programs for downloading from HTML5, some muxing of the audio+video is often required, thus an external converter...

If I have to start muxing, I may as well use an external program, which is what I've decided to do.

As I mentioned above, for the very limited downloading I do, the little program 4K Video Downloader meets my requirements nicely. It offers a couple of different resolutions and, somehow, downloads the video and sound in a single .mp4 file that works on my computer; I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Just for the record, I am not connected in any way with the program (4K Video Downloader), the developer, whatever.

I simply found it mentioned on the website videohelp.com, tried it, and decided to keep it.

Again, thanks for your help.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-03-21, 17:25

@JoeyG

1) You can't use any v3.xx version of Ant in Basilisk. v3 is a WebExtension add-on and requires at least Firefox 57.0 and later, which Basilisk isn't. Uninstall it & install v2.4.7.50, which will work in Basilisk.

2) The reason you were getting prompts to install a "native application" is because the crippled WebExtension API isn't allowed to call any external components (like ffmpeg) or install any additional software, so the Ant devs had to create a new compatible "native application" which you have to MANUALLY install... hence the prompt you were getting.

None of this applies if you install v2.4.7.50. Simply install it, install ffmpeg, set up the few simple preferences, and you're done. You now have a one-click downloading solution right in your browser.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-21, 17:41

Or bypass the hassle and stop stealing content that you do not own or have a right to download accelerating DRM adoption everywhere because the majority of people simply can't help being thieves and criminals.

That's right, you people are responsible for the proliferation of DRM.. You're doing it right now.. Stop it.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-21, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.