VDPAU for video playback

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
breadmoth

VDPAU for video playback

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-03-13, 17:24

Is it possible for PM to make use of VDPAU when playing back videos off of websites like youtube? I only ask because I compared PM with VLC for video playback and noticed a significant use of CPU on PM (even though acceleration is enabled in the options.) Whereas VPDAU no significant CPU or GPU usage. Just wondering.

Also interestingly enough, this time I compiled 27.8.1 and everything actually seems rather stable, considering my GCC version:

Code: Select all

slackuser@slackmachine:~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/5.3.0/specs
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/5.3.0/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-slackware-linux
Configured with: ../gcc-5.3.0/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/man --infodir=/usr/info --enable-shared --enable-bootstrap --enable-languages=ada,c,c++,fortran,go,java,lto,objc --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --enable-objc-gc --with-system-zlib --with-python-dir=/lib64/python2.7/site-packages --enable-libstdcxx-dual-abi --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=gcc4-compatible --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-libssp --enable-lto --disable-install-libiberty --with-gnu-ld --verbose --enable-java-home --with-java-home=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib64/jvm --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib64/jvm/jvm-exports --with-arch-directory=amd64 --with-antlr-jar=/root/slackware64-current/source/d/gcc/antlr-runtime-3.4.jar --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-gtktest --disable-multilib --target=x86_64-slackware-linux --build=x86_64-slackware-linux --host=x86_64-slackware-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 5.3.0 (GCC) 
slackuser@slackmachine:~$ 

breadmoth

Re: VDPAU for video playback

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-03-13, 17:53

Well I spoke too soon about the stable binary. It still crashes on youtube, so I switched back to the repackaged binary, oh well. Still I would be interested to know about VDPAU, then again I could be totally wrong how that works (VDPAU) *shrug*

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-03-13, 18:16

Pale Moon does not support currently support VDPAU.

breadmoth

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-03-13, 18:20

trava90 wrote:Pale Moon does not support currently support VDPAU.
Are there any plans in the future to do so? I admit though I am not totally informed about VDPAU , I am thinking it is only an NVIDIA thing ? So maybe that would leave some users out anyways who do not currently use an NVIDIA chipset. Perhaps adding it might be more troublesome than it's worth, but I thought it would be worth a try to just ask about it.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-03-13, 18:31

Possibly. Though with that said Pale Moon on UXP will have improved performance when playing videos and other media (though VLC or some other dedicated player will still offer lower resource usage than a web browser can).

breadmoth

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-03-13, 18:43

trava90 wrote:Possibly. Though with that said Pale Moon on UXP will have improved performance when playing videos and other media (though VLC or some other dedicated player will still offer lower resource usage than a web browser can).
Well to be fair, HTML5 video playback is way better than flash, its just that VDPAU seems to be better than OpenGL which is what PM would use for acceleration? Again I am just guessing on that and I could be wrong. Perhaps a 2-3% difference is still better than over 10%+ CPU usage on flash. Either way I am not complaining , I am very happy with PM for a various reasons. Particularly the fact that it still supports GTK2 which helps in keeping in uniform with my color scheme, which VLC3 seems to now have dropped , not even QT4 support

biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by biopsin » 2018-03-13, 19:08

make use of VDPAU when playing back videos off of websites like youtube
I use the extension "mpv-youtube-dl-binding", you need to install youtube-dl and mpv,
and configure mpv to use vdpau as video out.
However the extension needs modification to be installed.
voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.38 / Palemoon_latest release (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-03-16, 00:52

This issue remains as one of the biggest obstacles of Firefox derived browsers on Linux for years. Video streaming became one of the major acts of Internet for a decade but we still discuss this issue (here and there) like adding some minor feature. This is really discouraging.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2018-03-17, 09:36

terranigma wrote:Video streaming became one of the major acts of Internet for a decade but we still discuss this issue (here and there) like adding some minor feature.
That's pretty much the case with every modern casual task you'll try to do on Linux; you can't even do something as basic as burning something to a blank Blu-ray disc the proper way (with UDF 2.50 or higher) on Linux, led alone use any sort of specialized hardware.
terranigma wrote:This is really discouraging.
You bet it is; in fact, I'm fed up! I am not going to be installing Linux on the next laptop I get! (I first used Pale Moon before I had even heard of Linux, so you don't have to worry about my usage of this wonderful browser!)

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-03-17, 12:33

AMD, Nvidia both use VDPAU and Intel uses VAAPI. These both APIs are opensource and you don't have to reverse engineer something to make them work. They are all there, well documented and readily used by many opensource applications out there. So, why Mozilla devs insistently disregard this issue for many years? It seems that opensource operating systems' market share is the decisive factor to make them really care.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-17, 13:35

As I stated on IRC.. What is wrong with OpenGL which we do support. Also, if you are so worried about this.. Why don't you bring this to us.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-17, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

terranigma

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-03-17, 17:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:As I stated on IRC.. What is wrong with OpenGL which we do support. Also, if you are so worried about this.. Why don't you bring this to us.
This is not a PaleMoon specific problem. This is a general issue[1] related with Mozilla derived projects. We are talking about video playback acceleration (CPU offload) here and OpenGL has nothing to do with it. Current video playback is software and requires a good cpu to decode & render HD content. As I'm writing this, 2 cores of my 3ghz/4core PhenomII cpu is getting eaten by 720p youtube video[2].

[1]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210729
[2]https://youtu.be/sVuJ9RuZ41I?t=209
Last edited by terranigma on 2018-03-18, 02:55, edited 7 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-17, 18:28

Patches welcome otherwise RESOLVED WONTFIX.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-03-17, 20:25

I don't know what is wrong with other systems but to me 1080p/60fps videos is playing with only 5-7 % CPU usage in PMoon.
And I have no big deal configuration ( i3-4160/3.6 Ghz + Radeon R7 200)

https://sendvid.com/ji3kem7v
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2018-03-17, 22:42

Off-topic:
badnick wrote:I don't know what is wrong with other systems
You are running Windows which is hardware accelerated differently; this is a Linux-related request.
Last edited by adisib on 2018-03-17, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.