Back with palemoon

General discussion and chat (archived)
mikeart

Back with palemoon

Unread post by mikeart » 2018-03-16, 09:58

I have been a palemoon user for many years, I keep trying other browsers but always end up back with palemoon just to say thanks for a great reliable browser.

newbie3

Re: Back with palemoon

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-03-16, 17:31

The situation is same with me. I like "Pale Moon", because it's graphically light and beautiful, fast, stable (especially after that last update 27.8.1), plays smoothly the videos from a local site I like and I can see my favorite Forecastfox in the status bar. :-)

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-17, 05:01

I used Pale Moon on Windows XP for a few months; which was a few years ago. I found that Firefox was usually more stable, a little better. I eventually uninstalled Pale Moon. I no longer have that XP machine.

These days, I still have a computer with Windows Vista, and although I have/had been using Firefox, and keep it updated, Firefox is just TOO SLOW. TOOOOO SLOOWWWW! Instead, I have found that Pale Moon is reasonably fast. Pages respond and load with little if any delay. ( 32 bit, if this is of any interest - the machine and the software).

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-03-17, 07:41

I agree with you, extra_D_string. I also browse with "Pale Moon" and "Firefox" for the same reasons. It's interesting what you say for the second one, because they say the Quantum is the fastest "Firefox" so far. In my opinion, currently the fastest browser is "Google Chrome". But I like traditionally the "Firefox" family, where "Pale Moon" belongs, too.

The speed of a browser is on one hand. But I don't understand why some of the web pages become heavier, when it's logically to be lighter.
Last edited by newbie3 on 2018-03-17, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2018-03-19, 07:51

newbie3 wrote:The speed of a browser is on one hand. But I don't understand why some of the web pages become heavier, when it's logically to be lighter.
I can answer that: Often webpages use toolkits from vendors like Google (an example is the famous captcha). The more of these inside a page, the longer you must wait to see the page, as it calls for external content from other sites. And I wont start with Ad banners, Google trackers, Facebook trackers, counters, bots, 1-pixel scripts, etc. etc.

If you haven't tried it before, you can use an ad blocker for speed up the loading of pages in slow machines. :mrgreen:

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-03-19, 09:55

Thank you for the post, lyceus.

I had an ad blocker some time ago, but removed it. Maybe I should add it again, but the problem with the speed and the resource consumption of "Pale Moon" is much bigger. I agree that the computer I use is not that new, but it still works fine and we wouldn't change it soon. Although I like "Pale Moon" very much, I don't have the same problems with "Google Chrome".
Last edited by newbie3 on 2018-03-19, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-03-19, 16:01

"Pale Moon" is still the best browser, despite the time lag and CPU and memory usage.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-20, 12:18

newbie3 wrote:time lag and CPU and memory usage.
While Pale Moon may take slightly longer to render pages and occasionally use more CPU (that might be due to inherent design issues with Mozilla-class browsers), its memory usage is way lower than other mainstream browsers. It feels snappy even on lower end hardware, yeah, if you discount few cases when you happen to visit a website created by kids using a lot of "modern" JavaScript.