Why I will never own a smart speaker (or windows 10)

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Why I will never own a smart speaker (or windows 10)

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-08, 19:02

This article says it all as far as I am concerned. While it doesn't mention Windows 10, what it does is not really any different from the smart speakers- make sure you have no control over anything. From Select/All (online):

This Is Why Alexa Is Laughing at You
By Brian Feldman
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/03/this-is-why-alexa-is-laughing-at-you.html
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Why I will never own a smart speaker (or windows 10)

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-03-08, 19:14

I have an Alexa and have no gripes about using it, actually it can be quite amusing at times. It is only switched on at the mains when in use and switched off when not in use. No problem (for me).

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-27, 14:21

I am happy for you not minding that your home is bugged or that you have almost no control over the device. How does one even know for sure when it says it is off that it really is.

What makes people think their data is even remotely safe? Do people really believe that companies like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple etc. etc. actually have one iota of respect for your privacy?
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-03-27, 14:39

TwoTankAmin wrote:I am happy for you not minding that your home is bugged or that you have almost no control over the device. How does one even know for sure when it says it is off that it really is.

Oh I'm pretty sure, as it's unplugged from the wall.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-27, 17:09

isn't it a bit of a pain in the butt to have to plug it in and then unplug it every time you use it? Plus, I believe some of the other other models are battery powered?

About the only piece of software I currently use that I feel respects my privacy and does not collect my data is Pale Moon. Based on what I consider to be important, I would be a complete fool to use any other browser. Which is why I have only one one browser on my box.

It is not paranoia if you are actually being tracked........ :crazy:

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-27, 21:29

TwoTankAmin wrote:It is not paranoia if you are actually being tracked...
Once upon a time in the days of Win95 I was discussing some suspicions by email and every time I typed in the company's name the mail client froze and then refreshed after removing that name that I had just typed. Suspecting that my PC had been possessed I toyed with it for a while to confirm my paranoia.

That is something that I have learned to live with :angel: