ABPrime delays splashed add-on Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

ABPrime delays splashed add-on

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-02, 06:47

How can I get the Splashed add-on to display using ABPrime?

If I enable ABPrime then I do NOT see the image in the splash-screen when the Splashed add-on loads.
ABPrime enabled
ABPrime enabled
w ABPrime.png (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
If I disable ABPrime then I DO see the image when Pale Moon loads.
ABPrime disabled
ABPrime disabled
w-o ABPrime.png (104.58 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
I understand this is the way ABPrime works (prior to anything loading).

What do I need to do (i.e. Filter Preference) to have ABPrime allow the Splashed add-on to work when Pale Moon loads?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-02, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: ABPrime delays splashed add-on

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-02, 13:02

Yeah.. ABPrime blocks startup as it loads.. What do you expect?

Also, ABPrime specifically states to use its issue system on github for reporting things.. Not the Pale Moon forum.. But you disregarded.. So don't bother.

RESOLVED INVALID
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-02, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-02, 14:57

Point of reference -- I am aware ABPrime blocks startup as it loads as evidenced by my comment: "I understand this is the way ABPrime works (prior to anything loading).". My question is whether exceptions to this is at all possible?

I have attempted many times to get github to verify my email address (the same address I use for Pale Moon topic reply and announcement notifications) but I have never been able to get the email account verification message from github and I've checked every folder possible including "Junk" so for some reason I am unable to use github for this reason.

But since this is a help forum for Pale Moon users and some Pale Moon users presumably use ABPrime it would be greatly appreciated if any one of those users would contribute to this topic even if it is nothing more than to say "nothing can be done to address this based on the way ABPrime works".... I was hoping perhaps there might be a way to make an exception such as setting a preference to allow the Splashed add-on load first. If the answer is that the Splashed add-on will not work using ABPrime thus the two add-ons are incompatible then so be it, all I ask is if this is the answer to my question it would be a nice thing for an ABPrime user to simply let me know this.... ;)

To be perfectly candid I have no idea what "RESOLVED INVALID" means in the prior post. :? (let me be clear in regards to the previous contribution to the topic -- I am very appreciative as we all should be when that contributor offers helpful assistance, which often does undoubtedly happen thankfully and which I can honestly say I have many times found invaluable -- so I mean absolutely no disrespect of any kind).

Thanks in advance for any assistance from any forum member who really wants to be helpful as opposed to offering very little more than unhelpful reprimands in this case unfortunately (unless there is some esoteric helpful meaning in "RESOLVED INVALID" that I am missing :D).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-02, 15:46

It means the issue you are having isn't my problem. Also, GitHub is the only valid support point for ABPrime.. ABPrime has nothing to do with the Pale Moon project.

As well as your issue has nothing to do with ABPrime in and of its self.. Why don't you ask the guy doing that splash screen extension.

I notice you blame me for your problem.. Why is that, hmm? Did it occure to you that I might have already known about this and decided not to bother with it?

How about this one.. How about I don't want to use the forum for ABPrime support because you guys REALLY made a mess with ABL 3.5 that ended up in total reversion to 3.0 bumped to 4.0 that ultimately soured me to providing free form support especially here for my work.

I simply want issues bugs and requests to go through github issue tracker to keep it on a yay or nay basis and not have to reiterate crap here and be pissed off or piss anyone else off in the process regarding history.. But nope! Had to push and this is your reward.. Go back to ABL or use uBlock it won't block startup.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-03-02, 18:20

This does appear to be an issue with how ABPrime and Splashed! work. If you increase the Auto-Close Timeout setting in Splashed, you can keep it open long enough that ABPrime finishes loading and you will see the logo after a few seconds. On my computer it takes a little under 6 seconds.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-02, 20:21

Cassette wrote:This does appear to be an issue with how ABPrime and Splashed! work. If you increase the Auto-Close Timeout setting in Splashed, you can keep it open long enough that ABPrime finishes loading and you will see the logo after a few seconds. On my computer it takes a little under 6 seconds.
Thanks for the feedback, yep I played with it and if I use at least 7 secs or more (was using 3 secs) then I'll see the image (but not for very long). What I find is that without ABPrime Pale Moon loads in no more than 6 seconds as opposed to 16+ seconds with ABPrime and I'm only using one filter (Malware). If I set Splashed to 9 secs or more then the browser load will get delayed beyond the 16 seconds that it would have taken w/out the splash-screen -- so I only have a "working" time-frame of 1-2 seconds when the image will display and still have Pale Moon load as fast as it can unless I want to display the image longer for the sake of a longer Pale Moon load-time (which doesn't make a lot of sense really).

I've concluded that because ABPrime adds (in my case) about 10 seconds or amounts to nearly 3x's the load time (from 6 seconds w/out to 16 seconds with) that ABPrime in my opinion should have it's own optional splash screen (I would suggest this if I were able to log-in to github). I only say this because for users who are not used to a delay (nothing happening) for 16 seconds subsequent to requesting Pale Moon to load can lead to the user possibly thinking the click on the Pale Moon shortcut didn't take and end up clicking it again (as my wife has done in the past). So if ABPrime had a "safe" built in splash screen this would solve the dilemma. That said, since this is not the case it comes down to a catch-22 situation. ABPrime increases load-time that includes the time to load ABPrime which creates the need for a splash-screen (i.e. Splashed add-on) during which time the image will not render for the most part so this added load time w/out the splash-screen image getting displayed due to how ABPrime works reduces the efficacy of the Splash add-on to the extent the Splash add-on is arguably inadequate in conjunction with ABPrime (which again is the reason a splash-screen is a nice thing to have in the first place if ABPrime is used).

The catch-22 amounts to:
With ABPrime = splash-screen nice to have (w/ 16 sec load-time).
With ABPrime splash-screen image is blocked for the most part.
Without ABPrime splash-screen works well.
Without ABPrime not much need for splash-screen (w/ 6 sec load-time).
Conclusion: ABPrime with native splash-screen solves the entire catch-22 dilemma.

Again Cassette -- many thanks for the info (the way the situation is ----- I'm now leaning toward using neither add-on since w/out ABPrime the PM load-time of 6 sec at most doesn't really need a splash-screen as opposed to using ABPrime which does need a splash-screen if it worked reasonably well that is).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-02, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-02, 20:35

Then don't use my extension. In fact, I don't want you to use it.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-02, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-03-02, 20:38

If I enable ABPrime then I do NOT see the image in the splash-screen when the Splashed add-on loads.
That is,the splash-screen loads and appears, stating that the Pale Moon browser program is loading, but without Pale Moon's distinctive moon-logo and blue text ("Pale Moon"). The reason(s) are unclear why you consider this trivia, the Pale Moon logo and text not appearing as elements of the splash-screen, so essential.
splash-with-prime.png
splash-with-prime.png (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
The current behavior and interaction of these two add-ons should be considered as a positive, not a negative. The splash-screen appears to indicate that Pale Moon is starting or loading as intended. But also, because the Pale Moon logo and text do not appear, this omission indicates the ABPrime add-on is also loading as intended.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-02, 20:50

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Then don't use my extension. In fact, I don't want you to use it.
Sorry, I didn't realize it was your extension. :? I meant no disrespect --- but then if it's your extension then I'm confused as to why you were reticent to offer any suggestions (as was the case with Cassette) regardless of who supports it. Don't get me wrong -- I really do like the concept of loading the protection before the page loads and if there was a workable splash-screen I'd certainly prefer using ABPrime. :thumbup: --- so regardless I sincerely feel ABPrime definitely does offer a very nice optional add-blocker and have personally been using it for some-time and forgive me if in-fact I do return to using it at some point in the future as I haven't totally made up my mind. ;)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-02, 20:53

riiis wrote:
That is,the splash-screen loads and appears, stating that the Pale Moon browser program is loading, but without Pale Moon's distinctive moon-logo and blue text ("Pale Moon"). The reason(s) are unclear why you consider this trivia, the Pale Moon logo and text not appearing as elements of the splash-screen, so essential.
splash-with-prime.png
The current behavior and interaction of these two add-ons should be considered as a positive, not a negative. The splash-screen appears to indicate that Pale Moon is starting or loading as intended. But also, because the Pale Moon logo and text do not appear, this omission indicates the ABPrime add-on is also loading as intended.
Excellent points in many respects --- for the sake of comity I withdraw my concerns regarding an empty box that simply says ".... Loading" -- who needs esthetics anyway... ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-02, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-03, 06:10

Cassette wrote:This does appear to be an issue with how ABPrime and Splashed! work. If you increase the Auto-Close Timeout setting in Splashed, you can keep it open long enough that ABPrime finishes loading and you will see the logo after a few seconds. On my computer it takes a little under 6 seconds.
To my surprise it paid off contacting the Spashed developer FranklinDM as the image issue with ABPrime has been addressed -- see link: Re: Splashed! [support topic] for details. :thumbup: It's also worth noting that Pale Moon loads a tad faster (within a range of 8-12 seconds) while using ABPrime by not setting any time-out value at all in Splashed (which isn't necessary now) so got best of both worlds -- better ABPrime protection with decent browser load-time to boot ;))

Oh, btw -- I'll now be able to go back to using ABPrime --- to someones chagrin I'm afraid. :lol:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-03, 16:32, edited 4 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-03, 06:55

Splashed! is a good extension based on a great history.. Glad I can start using it again.

Sorry for the sour reation guys.. Just bad .. feelings regarding criticisms when it comes to ABL 3.5 that lead to ABPrime having to exist.

Let's just move on and keep it on the github tracker on a yay or nay basis.. k?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-03, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-03, 07:49

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'll now be able to go back to using ABPrime --- to someones chagrin I'm afraid. :lol:
And who would that be, you think?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite