palemoon.start.me/uk banner = why / what

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ghost123uk

palemoon.start.me/uk banner = why / what

Unread post by ghost123uk » 2018-02-04, 14:12

Hi all,

Sorry about this, second post on here and already asking for help :oops:

Just getting to know Pale Moon and liking it a lot when I install the English as per = https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tionary-2/ as recommended in this post on here = viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5448&p=56276&hilit ... ker#p56276 - The spell checxker now works fine in "English UK" but now when I click on my Pale Moon home page, I get the following "palemoon / start.me" banner, just under the Bookmarks Toolbar (see attachment).

Q1 = what is it?
Q2 = how do I get rid of it?
Attachments
Pale Moon1.png

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: palemoon.start.me/uk banner = why / what

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-04, 18:58

i dont use start-me but i would of thought that banner is a fixed option to sign in or customise the startpage,i may be wrong but thats my opinion.also whitelisting cookies may help too.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-04, 19:10

It's part of the start.me portal web page. it has always been there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2018-02-04, 19:23

uBlock Origin's element blocker should get rid of it but I see from the pic that you're not using it.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/21/ubloc ... rmanently/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-04, 21:22

Why would you want to get rid of it? it's an inherent part of the site and does have a function, you know.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ghost123uk

Unread post by ghost123uk » 2018-02-05, 08:14

Thanks for the replies folks.

I don't recall it being there before I installed the UK spell checker. I would have noticed it and clicked onto "sign in" or "Customise". For now I have set DuckDuckGo as my start page, but I quite like the colourful and sensibly laid out shortcuts on the normal start page, just don't like or want that large grey banner!!
However, as I see that Moonchild has had summat to do with Pale Moon :D :ugeek: I guess I should sign in to the "Start.Me" thingy and see what it does - will report back.....
Last edited by ghost123uk on 2018-02-05, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-02-06, 18:23

Moonchild wrote:It's part of the start.me portal web page. it has always been there.
Yes, but it (the banner or header that provides page settings) used to be stationary and remain at the top of the page --- now since the infamous "2018 upgrade" the banner (header with settings) floats at the top of the page at all times reducing start-page visibility. This banner is rarely if ever used once a start-page is setup!! This "floating" banner idea should have been made optional. The same with the little tab at the bottom that expands to show the footer links. How many times will anyone use the footer --- probably never but we have a little tab that floats and if expanded a footer that floats with the start-page while scrolling the same as the banner that also is virtually never used as I pointed out.

Why have a setting header banner float on the page so it is always visible hence more noticeable (for the start.me team presumably a good thing however from a users point of view not necessary and bothersome)?!? --- it's not only irritating to always have to see the header displayed but if in the rare case the user wants to modify their start-page it always easy enough to scroll to the top of the page to get to the "setting banner" as was the case before the floating header change was added in the "2018 upgrade" :idea:.

More importantly on top of this, among other things I won't go into here, as I've posted in THIS TOPIC the new "2018 upgrade" has caused Pale Moon and Firefox to have very slow page load times the more that Bookmark links are used in the start.me page to the extent that anything over 100-150 links the load time starts getting unduly impacted. Also News Feed Widgets are now sluggish to respond post the "2018 upgrade". As I mentioned in the linked topic I had to increase the JS wait-time 4x's the default (i.e. dom.max_script_run_time for Pale Moon had to be increased from my previous default value "20" to "80") in both Pale Moon and Firefox to avoid the persistent "JS busy" errors that had to be "stopped" to get the page to finally load.

It appears to me this "2018 upgrade" that presumably now uses the "Cloud" more extensively as opposed to dedicated Servers has placed undue restraints on page load-time for Gecko related browser users that happen to have larger start.com start-pages (why PM and FF are impacted differently I have no idea -- but it appears the increased latency that is possibly the result of using the "Cloud" more extensively is presumably impacting load-times for these, Gecko related, browsers).
Off-topic:
Me thinks that start.me is favoring Chrome (they of of course refer to Chrome involving their "help" pages) and as such blink engine browsers load faster than Pale Moon and/or Firefox. On that point, ironically it looks like they have currently broken start.me this morning on Chrome due to new JS requests (7 of them) on the new Twizzle.com site they have added to the start-page because I get the following using Incognito in Chrome so presumably not impacted by extensions as I have the "Allow in incognito" option disabled for all extensions (I've noticed this since I had to "allow" the new Swizzle.dom site this morning for Pale Moon which has 7 script requests, otherwise you get similar to what you see in the screen-shot below in Pale Moon as well):
start dot me still broken using incognito in chrome.png
but then this is incidental to the topic as I do not normally use Chrome (just checking because of this new start.me change this morning) The start.me crew are messing things up a bit since the "2018 upgrade" it seems to me..... :think: UPDATE: Opera has the same issue - so there you go Blink engines are currently on the blink :lol:
That all said, Start.me is still the best start-page for my needs so I've incorporated CSS code to remove the start.me header and footer (which can of course be disabled if I need either) and also written a simple start-page that loads with start.me to include all of the bookmark links that I am unable to use in the reduced start.me page I now use in Pale Moon due to the Pale Moon start.me load-time issue as a result of the "2018 upgrades" (I've reduced my Bookmark links down to less than 60, to get my load-time down to where it used to be, from the original 408 that I used to have no problems with start.me pre-2018 upgrades --- apparently load-time issues are not that noticeable for smaller start.me pages)....
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-02-06, 20:42, edited 8 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ghost123uk

Unread post by ghost123uk » 2018-02-08, 12:39

Well I've had a play with the functionality of the Start.Me banner, and I've used it to customise my start page quite a lot 8-)

However, I tend to agree with Pale Moon Rising regarding the size, position, and even the need for that permanent banner.
I will likely arrange, by whatever means comes to hand, to be able to access it when I want, but not having it taking up desktop space when I don't.

I'm still loving PM and will continue to use it, recommend it, and install it as the default browser on my customers Linux builds :thumbup: