PM 27.7.1 and minds

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
breadmoth

PM 27.7.1 and minds

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-02-05, 20:19

Screenshot_2018-02-05_14-13-20.png
So, I still am experiencing issues with a specific site - minds - even on the latest stable PM release 27.7.1 , with or without ublock/noscript - pages do not display properly, was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to try to get PM to properly display minds ?

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: PM 27.7.1 and minds

Unread post by badnick » 2018-02-05, 20:30

Latest release is 27.7.2
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

breadmoth

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-02-05, 20:55

badnick wrote:Latest release is 27.7.2
Just upgraded, issue remains though.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-02-05_14-55-04.png

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-02-05, 21:10

Hmm...looks OK on the MX Linux build:
screenshot_1.png
The font is different. Also, I'm pretty sure that the graphics missing in your version above the messed up choices are actually font glyphs...do you have font downloads from sites disabled somehow? I know you can do that with Ublock Origin.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-05, 21:13

@breadmoth

I went to the Minds site and it renders properly for me. Of course, since I don't have an account, I can't log in.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.7.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-02-05, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-05, 21:40

this is what i get with ublock origin disabled.BTW i like the rotating globe effect.
I dont have an account so i could not log in.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-02-05_21-38-20.png
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

breadmoth

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-02-05, 21:57

Night Wing wrote:@breadmoth

I went to the Minds site and it renders properly for me. Of course, since I don't have an account, I can't log in.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.7.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
FSCK ME, that was it. Checked Allow Pages to Choose Their Own fonts instead of my selection above
Screenshot_2018-02-05_15-47-33.png

Now the page displays as it should, I guess the fonts I were defaulting to did not like it
Screenshot_2018-02-05_15-46-46.png

Still I don't know what is wrong with those fonts, seems like standard fonts with no oddball encoding but apparently minds just doesn't like it.
Last edited by breadmoth on 2018-02-05, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2018-02-06, 01:01

breadmoth wrote: Still I don't know what is wrong with those fonts, seems like standard fonts with no oddball encoding but apparently minds just doesn't like it.
These are not normal fonts but icon fonts... so called Material Icons font:

https://google.github.io/material-design-icons/

Try to select and copy some of that icon and when you paste it you will see text, so icon font
Last edited by smoki on 2018-02-06, 01:24, edited 6 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-06, 12:04

Normally, you would only want to disallow web-specified fonts if you have special needs for it. Websites are in 95% or more of the cases designed to be using their supplied fonts, not system fonts.
This is also why allowing pages to use their own fonts is default in Pale Moon. Why did you change it?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

breadmoth

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-02-06, 15:45

Moonchild wrote:Normally, you would only want to disallow web-specified fonts if you have special needs for it. Websites are in 95% or more of the cases designed to be using their supplied fonts, not system fonts.
This is also why allowing pages to use their own fonts is default in Pale Moon. Why did you change it?
I guess because I was so used to the Serif fonts , even back in the days of Windows that the pages to me looks weird when allowing the fonts be chosen by the webpage itself. I can live with it though, and let PM allow the websites to override system fonts.
Last edited by breadmoth on 2018-02-06, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-02-06, 19:06

Moonchild wrote:Normally, you would only want to disallow web-specified fonts if you have special needs for it. Websites are in 95% or more of the cases designed to be using their supplied fonts, not system fonts.
The other side of the argument is speed, privacy, security (mostly Windows), and accessability issues. See As far as security goes, I never assume "it can't happen here". In many cases, the website is (ab)using one or two cutsie unicode characters to function as images/icons, instead of using real images/icons.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

breadmoth

Unread post by breadmoth » 2018-02-06, 20:24

Walter Dnes wrote:
The other side of the argument is speed, privacy, security (mostly Windows), and accessability issues. See As far as security goes, I never assume "it can't happen here". In many cases, the website is (ab)using one or two cutsie unicode characters to function as images/icons, instead of using real images/icons.
That was originally why I disallowed websites overriding my system fonts - and serif looks just fine on a page. If PM had an option to only allow minds to override my system fonts, and I can use my system fonts for any other page, I guess that would be fine, but yea I wish the folks at minds would find other ways of making their site display properly without the need to override my system fonts.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-02-06, 23:45

Ublock Origin has the option to block all font downloads, but then you can allow them on a site by site basis. It's that "A" in the lower right corner of its quick settings panel. I turn fonts on if the "tofu" on a page gets too annoying.

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2018-02-07, 14:09

stevepusser wrote:Ublock Origin has the option to block all font downloads, but then you can allow them on a site by site basis. It's that "A" in the lower right corner of its quick settings panel. I turn fonts on if the "tofu" on a page gets too annoying.
Which A? Even Ublock Origin does not show that A (nor other font images it uses) if you have "Allow Pages to Choose Their Own fonts" disabled.

That is funny thing since it can block other sites from font download, but doesn't block itself from font download :lol:

Probably that option "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above" should be more descriptive "Allow pages (and Add-ons) to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above"
Last edited by smoki on 2018-02-07, 14:35, edited 4 times in total.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-02-08, 00:17

I find this setting useful for having better looking (more crisp) fonts in PM on Linux. Often the site provided fonts don’t render well on Linux.

The occasional glitch is to be expected, but better looking fonts are worth it IMO. What constitutes a better looking font is subjective and also depends on your display/resolution etc. I find this setting valuable and have used it for years.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-02-21, 06:53

FWIW, I just went there & saw your glitch. I allowed all scripts, did not download any fonts (I almost never do - anybody that makes a website dependent on specific fonts doesn't deserve traffic IMO). I zoomed out a bit & it went away. After that I couldn't get it to do it again, no matter how I zoomed. So, for me, that particular glitch was trivially easy to deal with. But Minds, oh boy, I have an account but you need to study a manual to get much out of the place. It is heavy, bogs my system down & generally not very easy to use. I'll keep trying because I like what they are doing & there are some creators there that I like that aren't on bitchute. But truthfully, of all those kinds of sites, Grandma Youtube included, Bitchute is the only one that actually works well for me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-21, 08:51

I think we just need a distinction between first and third party fonts.. I always serve fonts my self because I want a specific look to text and they are part of the design.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-21, 12:07

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I think we just need a distinction between first and third party fonts.. I always serve fonts my self because I want a specific look to text and they are part of the design.
It won't help because many, many websites will use fonts supplied by a font forge and often downloaded from a CDN for both bandwidth and licensing reasons. For the browser, those will be third-party, but still as must part of the design as first-party-self-hosted fonts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite