Just saying "Hi" and glad I found Pale Moon

General discussion and chat (archived)
ghost123uk

Just saying "Hi" and glad I found Pale Moon

Unread post by ghost123uk » 2018-02-04, 13:49

Hi all, new here (but not new to forums ;) )

Came across Pale Moon by accident, but glad I did. I've been using it now (and customising it) for a good few hours and I like it, especially it's light impact on system resources :D , plus of course the security and privacy it offers of course 8-)

I am a retired computer technician (in the middle of the UK), but I still do work for local domestic and small business customers. I use Linux (currently Mint 18.3 "Mate") almost exclusively and I get as many of my customers on Linux Mint as I can. So far, it looks like I will be including Pale Moon on all my customers Linux builds and likely set it as the default browser :D

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Just saying "Hi" and glad I found Pale Moon

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-02-04, 20:36

Welcome ghost123uk, and enjoy the ride!

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-02-05, 05:46

Welcome to the Light side! I also commend your effort to introduce Pale Moon to others.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-02-05, 10:22

Welcome, welcome! You'll find you have not only made an excellent choice in browser but also you have found a great community for support!
It really is "The Light Side." :geek:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-02-05, 13:21

ghost123uk wrote:Hi all, new here (but not new to forums ;) )

Came across Pale Moon by accident, but glad I did. I've been using it now (and customising it) for a good few hours and I like it, especially it's light impact on system resources :D , plus of course the security and privacy it offers of course 8-)

I am a retired computer technician (in the middle of the UK), but I still do work for local domestic and small business customers. I use Linux (currently Mint 18.3 "Mate") almost exclusively and I get as many of my customers on Linux Mint as I can. So far, it looks like I will be including Pale Moon on all my customers Linux builds and likely set it as the default browser :D
Welcome to the forum! I love Pale Moon and it has found a very special place in my heart. Each update makes it more refined and fun to use :)
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-02-05, 21:26

Welcome to the Pale Moon community. :)

Out of curiosity, what were your reasons for choosing Mint over Ubuntu? I'm contemplating going back to Linux for a variety of reasons, but it's been over a decade since I ran Linux on my desktop (Ubuntu and then Arch, but I would like to spend less time of tweaking and fiddling this time around) and I'm a bit out of the loop.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-05, 21:43

Ubuntu is believed to have amazon adware(dare i say spyware) installed.Ubuntu is a bit of a bloated crap these days .I use linux lite which has been solid for years.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-02-05, 22:33

Moonraker wrote:Ubuntu is believed to have amazon adware(dare i say spyware) installed.
"Is believed"? So some people think it has spyware, and some don't ? I use Ubuntu, and I find this disturbing.

Frankly, I am very pleased with Ubuntu.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-02-05, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-05, 23:01

I think spyware is too strong a word as i dont think mark shuttleworth would allow anything like that in ubuntu.I use a buntu offshoot linux lite and its been very stable for years.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-02-06, 17:10

gracious1 wrote:"Is believed"? So some people think it has spyware, and some don't ? I use Ubuntu, and I find this disturbing.
I dug a bit around and found this article at eff.org. How relevant this is for current versions, I don't know.

ghost123uk

Unread post by ghost123uk » 2018-02-06, 18:30

Hi all :)

I use Linux Mint rather than Ubuntu because, for my "end user customers", I find the Mint menu system to be more easily adapted to when users are familiar with Windoze 7 / Vista style menus (I mean, lets not even talk about Windoze 8 / 10 "tiled" style menus :evil: ).

The Mint "Mate" desktop environment is easier on system resources, esp the graphics card. Works well for me and my customers :)

And, from now on, Pale Moon will be the default browser in my builds (but Chrome will still be there "just in case").

John