xulBlock Advanced -- my fork of uBlock Origin

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

joe04

xulBlock Advanced -- my fork of uBlock Origin

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-01-28, 16:39

Announcing the release of my new extension, xulBlock Advanced (xBA). As the name suggests, it's a XUL fork of uBlock Origin for Advanced users.

I've used it on Pale Moon, Basilisk, and Waterfox.

Note that xBA is only for Advanced user mode.

xBA is thoroughly documented, including reasons for this fork and all the ways it differs from uBO.

everything is at:
https://github.com/joey04/xulBlock-Advanced

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: xulBlock Advanced -- my fork of uBlock Origin

Unread post by adisib » 2018-01-28, 17:48

Are you planning on adding a build script to the repository?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-28, 18:47

Do you have any plans to add this to APO?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-01-28, 19:29

Can we get an xpi for Win7
:?:

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-01-28, 20:57

jars_ wrote:Can we get an xpi for Win7
:?:
xpi here:

https://github.com/joey04/xulBlock-Advanced/releases
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-28, 20:58

This sounds exciting. Glad someone is finally doing this!

Deff needs submission to the Add-ons Site.

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-01-29, 04:49

hello, much appreciated this extension but for me,
the "disable/activate" xulBlock button is missing,
thanks
Last edited by laozi on 2018-01-29, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-01-29, 15:48

First of all, thanks for the nice responses so far.

A few points I need to make:

1) It's essential to understand that xBA is only for Advanced users. This is not a tool for regular uBO users looking for a direct replacement. So if you're not already an Advanced user or willing to put the time and effort in to learn, xBA is not for you.

2) nothing is missing, no build scripts will be provided

3) if xBA were to be listed on the Pale Moon Add-on site, it could only be [External] linked to my Github the way uBO is now. This is for point #1. Potential users need to read about xBA then make an informed decision to install it manually.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-01-29, 17:31

joe04 wrote:if xBA were to be listed on the Pale Moon Add-on site, it could only be [External] linked to my Github the way uBO is now. This is for point #1. Potential users need to read about xBA then make an informed decision to install it manually.
If it were to be an external, it MUST have an updateURL in install.rdf. Evidently the listing for uBlock Origin slipped through the net here and has been removed as such.

If you include such an item into your install.rdf, it would be welcomed (though only as an external - add-ons hosted with us cannot use it).

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-01-29, 17:53

The only thing this will add is new advanced features, and no improvements/fixes to the general app, like we would be getting if we could still install new versions of xBO, correct?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-29, 18:53

Brian wrote:The only thing this will add is new advanced features, and no improvements/fixes to the general app, like we would be getting if we could still install new versions of xBO, correct?
Depends what the maintainer wants or not wants for their fork.

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-01-29, 18:57

bonsoir,
too bad, I have been using uBlock O (1.13.8) for a few years now in "advanced functionalities" mode and this possibility to deactivate uBo is is very useful and necessary for me to consult precise elements in an already filtered page.
I only have three checkboxed filter lists, Resource-abuse filters, NoCoin Filter List and "my filters" (330 dynamic filters and 288 esthetic filters)
cordialement
Last edited by laozi on 2018-01-29, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-01-29, 19:58

i have some questions.

Why do you need to spoof referers? There is little point in doing anything to first-party referers, since a website sysop can log everything a visitor does there. There is already a way to block third-party referers using settings in about:config.

Why wait to load and then close an unwanted popup? Why not just block it? The latter saves bandwidth.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-01-29, 21:14

Sajadi wrote:
Brian wrote:The only thing this will add is new advanced features, and no improvements/fixes to the general app, like we would be getting if we could still install new versions of xBO, correct?
Depends what the maintainer wants or not wants for their fork.
I was asking the maintainer.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-01-29, 21:26

Several responses all in one:

1) @Lootyhoof -- is updateURL supported by GitHub? I don't know what a "well formed xml (rdf) file on your own service" means nor would I setup one myself. It would have to be an existing capability provided by GH.

2) @Brian -- your question is unclear and there is no such thing as "xBO"

3) @laozi -- you can whitelist in the dashboard, or try temporarily allow-all 1p (sometimes the same effect as whitelist)

4) @Goodydino -- my Referer wiki page answers all your questions. Did you read it? Did you read the linked blog post? And, btw, there's a good reason I provided the VirusTotal example. hint hint

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-29, 21:38

joe04 wrote:@Lootyhoof -- is updateURL supported by GitHub?
While I'm not Lootyhoof, here is the simplest example how this can be done.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-01-29, 21:44

Thanks JustOff. So essentially there would need to be an "xBA Updater" extension created.

Perhaps I will look into that someday. But it's a very low priority item (practically zero) for me right now.

So if anyone else wants to adapt JustOff's extension for xBA, you have my blessing.

Keep in mind, though, I intend to update xBA as little as possible. It already does everything I need and want, and has been that way for several months. Plus, given the relative stability of XUL on Firefox forks, I sincerely hope I don't need to make any changes anytime soon.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-29, 21:48

joe04 wrote:Thanks JustOff. So essentially there would need to be an "xBA Updater" extension created.
No, sorry for such a bad example :? I did not mean to create additional add-on for updating, but how uB0 Updater itself is updated:

Code: Select all

<em:updateURL>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JustOff/ublock0-updater/master/update.xml</em:updateURL>
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-01-29, 21:51, edited 2 times in total.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-01-29, 22:08

:lol: our signals got crossed

I already stated the important item a moment ago: I have practically no interest in looking into this because I intend to update as little as possible. (That's why xBA uses a 2-digit rev starting at 1.0)

So I'll leave it at that, i.e. there won't be xBA on the Addons site anytime soon unless someone else wants to make it happen.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-29, 22:08

Add-on Validator Tool @ http://addons.palemoon.org/special/validate/ wrote:
  • Errors
    These items will cause an add-on to be rejected on the Add-ons Site very soon.
    • This add-on has an invalid maxVersion for Pale Moon - Infinite (*) maxVersion is not allowed on the Add-ons Site
    They say "No news is good news" but we think it is better to know!
    • This add-on has a valid ID format (user@host)
    • This add-on has a Pale Moon targetApplication block
    • This add-on uses Bootstrap (Restartless) Technology
Please select an actual maxVersion other than * such as 27.* for Pale Moon and 2.* for SeaMonkey.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-29, 22:11, edited 3 times in total.