Smart Preview for Pale Moon forum

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JustOff

Smart Preview for Pale Moon forum

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-26, 23:21

Smart Preview for Pale Moon forum is designed for quick preview of forum content using a popup frame. When you hover over a field containing a link to a topic or a single post, the cursor icon changes, indicating that you can preview this item by clicking the left mouse button. A further click outside the preview area will close it, and clicking on the small rectangle in the upper right corner will open the content in a new tab.

Topics with new messages automatically open on the first unread post, and when the preview closes, the corresponding thread will be marked as read. This can be especially useful in the "New posts", "Unread posts", "Active topics", "Notifications", "Private messages" and "Search" sections. Other internal forum links can be previewed by clicking the right mouse button while holding the control key.

This add-on was created for my own needs, but questions, suggestions and bug reports are always welcomed.
Off-topic:
I could not even imagine that one day I would create an extension using the Add-on SDK or jQuery. Now I used both of them and feel terrible. Because it was so simple and convenient ;)

Thehandyman1957

Re: Smart Preview for Pale Moon forum

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-27, 02:13

How freeking cool is that! :mrgreen: I like it a lot. Thank you for all your great help and contributions. :thumbup: :clap:

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-01-27, 09:38

Очень классно, красавчик :thumbup:
+ нужен выход по ESC
У тебя все расширения шикарные. и отдельная благодарочка, что не обзываешь их в guid, а даёшь осмысленые имена ;)

ЕЯПП то такую штуку , можно запилить для любого форума-сайта, нужно только изменить селекторы и включенные адреса? Это я к тому, что может оказаться бомбой, как тот же Imagus для изображений - так и твой плугин для форумов. Думаю, мысля понятна.
Last edited by jars_ on 2018-01-27, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-01-27, 12:52

It's very nice to have this function for the PM forum. Thank you.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-27, 16:13

jars_ wrote:нужен выход по ESC
Smart Preview for Pale Moon forum version 1.2.3 has been released:
Off-topic:
jars_, please use English anywhere except for foreign language boards.
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-01-27, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-01-27, 16:24

Well, it's just wonderful! Thank you.
Yes, you right. I'm sorry, it's all under the impression of this extension :oops:
:thumbup:
Last edited by jars_ on 2018-01-27, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2018-01-28, 09:08

Good work :thumbup:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-30, 14:04

Version 1.2.4 has been released:
  • Added the list of online users and some extra links into the forum header
2018-01-30_14-40-17.png
2018-01-30_14-44-31.png

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-31, 01:27

Thank you JustOff, Quick question. Is it possible to move the "Unread Post" down to the left of "Mark all Read"?

While reading new posts and after getting to the bottom of the list I often will just hit the "Unread Posts" to see what
happened during that time I was reading and more than once I have accidentally hit the "Mark all Read"
and lost everything thinking I was clicking the other one.

Just thought I would ask.

Thanks.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-31, 11:16

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Is it possible to move the "Unread Post" down to the left of "Mark all Read"?
I'm not sure I understand how the changes you asked for could help prevent accidental marking all messages as read, but that's not even the point. The main idea is to add new functions without changing existing ones so as not to disrupt the usual way of using the forum. Therefore, I'm sorry, but the answer is no.
Off-topic:
You can completely hide "Mark all read" item or using CSS:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("forum.palemoon.org") {
 .mark-read {
  display: none;
 }
}
or highlight it, to not confuse:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("forum.palemoon.org") {
 .mark-read {
  color: darkred;
  background: yellow;
 }
}
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-01-31, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-02-01, 00:08

No problem. Thanks for the CSS. Sadly, I do use the "mark all read" when I'm completely done reading so that won't work.

It's not a big deal. It just so happens that for some reason, some times I end up clicking on the "Mark all Read"
when I really meant to click on the "Unread Posts". :crazy:

So I thought if there was a way to move or even copy the "Unread Posts" to the left of "Mark all Read"
It would help me to stop doing that. Again, no big deal. Just thought I would see. Thank you. ;)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-11, 15:48

Version 1.3.0 has been released with improved history support and compatibility updates for the upcoming Pale Moon 28:
  • Store previewed pages in the browser history
  • Inject scripts after all the content has been loaded
  • Use XMLHttpRequest instead of .ajax

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-11, 18:11

Thank you Justoff. Works great. And again, thank you for all your hard work here.
You are truly appreciated. :thumbup: :clap:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-09, 19:19

I have been noticing for awhile now certain bugs with this add on.

1. When clicking on a topic, about 40% of the time, it will not remember where I was before in the thread.
Sometimes, it will just start me at the beginning again.
2. On this particular post especially, even though the icon glass is showing, there seems to be dead spots where it
simply won't open the thread. Particularly on the left side of the box, to the right of the title.
I do not get this on most posts, but this one seems to be really bad for some reason. :problem:
I'm still using PM 27 64 bit latest at this point on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-10, 15:32

I'm aware that there are several particular topics that always start at the beginning in the preview window, but I still can't deal with that. But this is not 40% by any means, and I don't see any problems with this thread. Could you please provide more details on how to reproduce your issue?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-11, 02:24

Shoot, I did submit a snapshot of the thread I was actually talking about
and it even showed in the preview but it's now gone. :wtf:

The thread I was referring to is this one. I'll add the link this time.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19244
Screenshot - 7_9_2018 , 12_15_57 PM.png
So when hovering over this topic the little icon shows the glass with the plus sign.
But in what seems to be around 40% of the box it does not actually allow you to click
on it. I have to keep clicking while moving the mouse around to get it to finally find
a spot it likes.

As for the amount of time I get threads from the beginning, your probably right. But it seems
like this week has been more than usual and thus it feels like 40% of the time.

Some times, it doesn't go all the way back to the beginning. Sometimes it will get stuck on a
day I read the thread and continue to take me back to that post on the thread even though
read those posts and it's been a few days with many new posts added.

I could try to log these issues when they happen and on what page if you like, but it would take a couple
of weeks to build a good picture of where and when it's doing it. It's not consistent.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-11, 14:43

Thehandyman1957 wrote:So when hovering over this topic the little icon shows the glass with the plus sign.
But in what seems to be around 40% of the box it does not actually allow you to click
on it. I have to keep clicking while moving the mouse around to get it to finally find
a spot it likes.
That's weird, I've never seen such a problem. Perhaps a conflict with some other extension, I've no better idea at the moment.
As for the amount of time I get threads from the beginning, your probably right. But it seems
like this week has been more than usual and thus it feels like 40% of the time.

Some times, it doesn't go all the way back to the beginning. Sometimes it will get stuck on a
day I read the thread and continue to take me back to that post on the thread even though
read those posts and it's been a few days with many new posts added.
What is your settings for cookies? Do you use any cookie-related add-ons?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-11, 17:01

I am using Cookies Exterminator 2.8.3

The weird thing is that that post I showed is the only one I have trouble with on trying to
click on the post. All others seem fine. :think:

It's not a big deal, I just wanted to let you know. I'm able to work around these issues. ;)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-11, 17:17

Thank you, I will keep this in mind.