Potential Icon for Palemoon?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

Re: Potential Icon for Palemoon?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-14, 00:54

So I've been playing around for the last couple of nights with all those widgets for Xwidget and found some great stuff.
There are a lot of the same type stuff but the coolest part is that you can actually change the way a widget looks with the editor.

So this is my second monitor set up so far. Gonna keep looking for more goodies tonight.
The bars on the bottom are my network history.
Screenshot - 12_13_2017 , 5_37_52 PM.png

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-01-11, 20:30

Thehandyman1957 wrote:So I've been playing around for the last couple of nights with all those widgets for Xwidget and found some great stuff.
There are a lot of the same type stuff but the coolest part is that you can actually change the way a widget looks with the editor.

So this is my second monitor set up so far. Gonna keep looking for more goodies tonight.
The bars on the bottom are my network history.
Screenshot - 12_13_2017 , 5_37_52 PM.png
I am SO sorry I didn't reply to your post, it was Christmas and I missed it.

Xwidgets are fully customisable with javascript or using the widget cores/API. They can be fun. Good to see that shot of your desktop.

An update of the palemoon icon, deeper shadow.

Image 27.6.2 XX.VI.II

You can download it here:

https://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Palemoon-Icon-Version-27-6-2-719052273
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-01-11, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-12, 02:32

No problem at all. ;) I'm just stoked to have these great widgets.
The weather widget is the best I have ever used. :mrgreen:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-01-12, 09:13

Thehandyman1957 wrote:No problem at all. ;) I'm just stoked to have these great widgets.
Xwidgets is a fun concept and they look good on your system (and mine - I always have one) but it could have been SO much more, javascript for the desktop, a graphical IDE, what's there not to like?

Unfortunately the main developer gave up on development and although he never officially abandoned it, he never, ever fixes bugs.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-13, 04:30

That's too bad, but hey, I'll enjoy what he made and hope it does it without any issues. ;)

So far, I have had almost zero issues. Just a couple of delayed starts but I can't say that's not my
fault as I almost bricked my operating system 1 week after getting the new machine finished.

I had an older registry defrag program from years ago and I thought in my infinite foolish wisdom
that I would clean things up a bit and ran it. Well it turns out that since I'm using a 64 bit version
of windows that you can't use the older defrag as it completely borks the registry. :o

It was so borked that even using the windows cd to try to repair or restore would not work.

It took me a few hours on a Linux Live CD online to finally find a forum post that finally helped me get
it back. But sadly the back up registry files I had were from the very beginning of the load and I had a
boat load of programs loaded afterwards including Xwidget that at first seemed to be fine but after a couple
of boots were showing some weird issues that were mostly fixed after just simply reinstalling the program.

Moral of the story? Don't blame my stupid mistake on a helpless program. :lol:
Oh, and don't use a 32 bit registry defrag on a 64 bit machine. :shh:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-01-13, 13:29

Thehandyman1957 wrote: Well it turns out that since I'm using a 64 bit version
of windows that you can't use the older defrag as it completely borks the registry. :o
I think that you can be forgiven for that. The Windows registry is one of Microsoft's biggest contributions to modern computing, many consider it their biggest mistake (but we all know they've made plenty more)...
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-01-13, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-01-13, 14:27

Thehandyman1957 wrote:No problem at all. ;) I'm just stoked to have these great widgets.
This is my own personal weather widget:
(right click and view image to see it in sharper focus)

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-01-14, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-16, 04:02

Very cool. Strange, your post did not show up on my unread post page. I have seen this a lot over the last year.
I have to remember to check my posts to see if someone has replied to something I said. :think:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-01-16, 09:20

Strangely enough there has just been a new release of Xwidgets and the dev says he has fixed some things. He has asked me to write a news item about the release and I am awaiting some clarification re: what he had repaired. The new splash screen is one of mine. Not implemented as well as I'd like but it was my idea and my suggestion for the wording. Might be worth trying out.

I don't get PMs in general when a thread is updated. Perhaps I have a setting set to something.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-01-16, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-17, 03:34

I did get the update post and I did intend to update it but I am finding so many issues with my computer that I think
I'm going to wipe and start fresh again (total pain). Today I just realized my firewall is corrupted and won't install or uninstall.

Fossa Mail just started crashing today. No amount of uninstalls or reinstalls will fix it. I have no idea why.
I had to install a old version of Thunderbird to get me by till this busy season is over.
I'm also having some other weird issues that I was putting up with but this kinda put it over the edge.
So when time permits, I will do it all over again. :evil:

They say stupid should hurt, it does. :sick:

I would love to hear what was fixed though, so please keep me updated. :)
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-01-17, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.