Suppress Google Chrome?

General discussion and chat (archived)
jthorusen

Suppress Google Chrome?

Unread post by jthorusen » 2018-01-10, 01:33

Greetings to the Forum:

Every time I get on my wife's computer (not all that often) I find Google Chrome installed. Is there a way to permanently block this software from downloading? Operating system: Windows 7 home edition; browser: Pale Moon

Thanks,
Jim T.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Suppress Google Chrome?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-10, 02:52

It is usually bundled with lots of other software. Has she added anything lately? :think:

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-01-10, 14:43

I found a bunch of good leads for you here: https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=prevent%20googl ... installing

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-10, 15:22

well usually a pair of glasses and reading the small print on these installers is suffice to stop the chrome from installing.it doesnt install itself you know lol.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-01-10, 15:34

If using Avast then I'm pretty sure you have to uncheck Install Chrome when updating the Anti-Virus program as it has in the past installed by default if you do nothing (bad practice since in my opinion collateral software should never install by default).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-01-10, 15:51

I use Unchecky to help prevent unwanted programs from sneaking in from other program installers.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-01-10, 16:50

Cassette wrote:I use Unchecky to help prevent unwanted programs from sneaking in from other program installers.
Can't remember why I uninstalled Uchecky (years ago) -- What I do when installing/updating software is make a point to never use the "Default" option but instead always use the "Custom" option and then be sure and thoroughly peruse every step of the install.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-01-11, 17:19

Pale Moon Rising wrote:What I do when installing/updating software is make a point to never use the "Default" option but instead always use the "Custom" option and then be sure and thoroughly peruse every step of the install.
+1
Last edited by Falna on 2018-01-11, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-11, 18:14

Go to Program Files (x86)\Google, create a file named Chrome and make it read-only. This will prevent Chrome from installing forever :twisted:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-12, 12:57

JustOff wrote:Go to Program Files (x86)\Google, create a file named Chrome and make it read-only. This will prevent Chrome from installing forever :twisted:
No, it won't, because it will just install in %APPDATA% instead, then.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-12, 13:28

Hmm, I checked my suggestion before posting it and everything worked as it should. However, nothing prevents to repeat the same steps in %APPDATA%\Google, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google and Program Files\Google to be confident.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-01-13, 08:50

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Can't remember why I uninstalled Uchecky (years ago) -- What I do when installing/updating software is make a point to never use the "Default" option but instead always use the "Custom" option and then be sure and thoroughly peruse every step of the install.
While it's all well and good to be diligent while installing programs, I'm no longer foolish enough to think I could never make a mistake. I had that happen with a CCleaner installer because the screen that prompted the Chrome installation had to download so I hit next before it was even visible. Then it was too late to stop it. Unchecky also adds a few entries to the hosts file to prevent certain adware servers from being connected to at all. It's lightweight and unobtrusive.
Last edited by Cassette on 2018-01-13, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-01-13, 16:01

Cassette wrote:...the Chrome installation had to download so I hit next before it was even visible. Then it was too late to stop it.
I never let installers connect to the Internet when installing programs (I also don't use stub installers). You should set your Firewall to disallow installers their connections.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18