Video "stuttering" on mouse moving in YouTube Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
just_passing_by

Video "stuttering" on mouse moving in YouTube

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-07, 19:57

Happens when I move the mouse over playing video. No problems with Firefox Quantum. Linux Mint 18.3; PM 27.6.2 (64 bit). :problem:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Video "stuttering" on mouse moving in YouTube

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-01-07, 20:07

After reading your post, I opened a tab, went to YouTube and could not duplicate the stuttering mouse cursor you're experiencing when moving my cursor over a video. I used the YouTube video below and I chose to view it in 720p in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkgWgGCbtw

I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.6.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-07, 20:15

Hm, it happens even with add-ons disabled.

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-07, 20:18

Very weird! Stopped Foobnix audio player (was running in the background, but not actually playing) and stuttering disappeared as well! :lol:

Well... not for long. Started again. I don't get it. Just to clarify: It happens ONLY when I move the mouse OVER the video that is playing ATM.
Last edited by just_passing_by on 2018-01-07, 20:30, edited 3 times in total.

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-07, 22:05

This might be a long shot, but do you happen to have a fancy mouse with a high polling rate (like a gaming mouse)? I think I used to have this issue when watching high quality (1080p and up) videos a long while back but it went away, probably with an update but I can't be sure. But one this I *do* remember it that never happened when I used the trackpad or my old mouse but started when I used a newer "gaming" one, it was really weird.

The fact that it went away when you closed your audio player makes me wonder if it's to do with high CPU usage, but then again if it's not playing I'm not sure what else it would be doing :think:

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-08, 08:32

Yes, my mouse is a Bloody V7
https://www.bloody.com/en/product.php?pid=10&id=107

About the CPU usage, it just can't be. Not that my CPU is very good, but not that weak either. 4 core AMD A8-3870. Never has such issues in the past. I was using Windows OS until recently. This started happening when I moved to Linux Mint.
Last edited by just_passing_by on 2018-01-08, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-08, 16:33

I can't reproduce this right now but I'm sure I used to have this, so tonight now I've got time I'll start with a fresh profile in case it was some setting I changed that fixed it.

In the meantime, did you change any advanced settings in about:config that might be related? Does *always* happen, no matter what the YouTube video settings are? What about under Preferences > Content > Video, what do you have ticked under that? There's been a lot of ongoing work on Media Source Extensions, I wonder if that could be related.

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-08, 20:44

I've managed to reproduce this now, it goes away by enabling Off Main Thread Compositing (OMTC). These are advanced (maybe buggy) settings so be warned, but you should be able to undo them (if it puts your mind at rest make a copy of your profile in ~/.moonchild productions). Your options are -

Hardware Accelerated
: If you have a decent graphics card and drivers maybe try this first. Go to about:config (read the warning! then click the promise) and change layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true (right click it > click toggle). To test it, close Pale Moon, open a terminal and do MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 palemoon, then go find a video. If it doesn't work just launch palemoon normally, then reset the setting.

Basic: If you're like me and you get graphical glitches with the above, go back into about:config, make sure layers.acceleration.force-enabled is set to false, set layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled to true. Like with the above close the browser and launch it with MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 palemoon in a terminal and try it out.

If either of these work then come back and we'll try and set MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 somewhere more permanent :)

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-08, 23:28

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16370&hilit=A4tech I have similar problem with my A4Tech 710BK, and only in Palemoon too :-/ .

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-09, 16:08

SGvagon, looking at your video that certainly looks like a related or identical problem, though I notice you're on Windows :think: I wonder, if you go to about:support in your address bar, what does it say next to GPU Accelerated Windows (under graphics)? If it just says "0/X Basic" (where X is just any number) and specifically doesn't mention OMTC, maybe try the steps I posted above while we wait to see if it worked for OP?

My theory is that most users with gaming type mice are (A) on Windows and (B) have good graphics setups where OMTC seems much more likely to be enabled by default and therefore they rarely see these problems, but who knows :eh:

EDIT: Just noticed you're in the Czech Republic :wave: I don't know what the exact wording will be if about:support is localised, hopefully you'll be able to work it out :D
Last edited by calibrations on 2018-01-09, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-10, 05:51

calibrations wrote:I've managed to reproduce this now, it goes away by enabling Off Main Thread Compositing (OMTC). These are advanced (maybe buggy) settings so be warned, but you should be able to undo them (if it puts your mind at rest make a copy of your profile in ~/.moonchild productions). Your options are -

Hardware Accelerated
: If you have a decent graphics card and drivers maybe try this first. Go to about:config (read the warning! then click the promise) and change layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true (right click it > click toggle). To test it, close Pale Moon, open a terminal and do MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 palemoon, then go find a video. If it doesn't work just launch palemoon normally, then reset the setting.

Basic: If you're like me and you get graphical glitches with the above, go back into about:config, make sure layers.acceleration.force-enabled is set to false, set layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled to true. Like with the above close the browser and launch it with MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 palemoon in a terminal and try it out.

If either of these work then come back and we'll try and set MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 somewhere more permanent :)
I think first option worked. :clap:

Yeah, it definitely works! At least for now :D

Now what? Should I launch it every time with that command?

Edit: That's what I get in terminal: "ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
Can't find symbol 'glXCreateContextAttribsARB'."

Is this ok? And how to save the above setting for permanent use?
Last edited by just_passing_by on 2018-01-10, 05:56, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-10, 08:12

If it otherwise works and resolves then you should be fairly ok.

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-10, 09:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:If it otherwise works and resolves then you should be fairly ok.
Yeah, but if I don't start PM with the above command, it doesn't work. So I have to somehow make it permanent. And I'm new to Linux.
Last edited by just_passing_by on 2018-01-10, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-10, 12:48

Glad to hear that worked! To set it somewhere more permanent, you should have a file in your home directory called .profile (note the ., the file may be hidden in your file manager, there should be a setting somewhere to "Show Hidden Files". If you're using Nemo in Cinnamon I think it's under View, or maybe try Ctrl-H as a shortcut). If you're sure it's not there you can just create it. Add a new line at the bottom that says export MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 and save it, then log out and back in again and it should be set so you can launch Pale Moon like you normally would with an icon or in your menu or whatever.

Sorry for not posting that earlier but I wanted to avoid dumping too much info at once (that and I wasn't 100% on which file it should be added to on Mint).
Off-topic:
If you're wondering why that works, before you log in the commands in .profile are automatically executed, and export just means that MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 will be set for all the commands that come after (in the same "scope", kindof like without opening a new terminal) and as your desktop is launched after it'll stay set in your graphical applications.
Last edited by calibrations on 2018-01-10, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-10, 13:11

Do you mean inside .moonchild productions folder or in directory "Home"? I don't have such file. Oops! Appeared after refresh!

Just tested it. Works like a charm! Thank you very much!
Last edited by just_passing_by on 2018-01-10, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-10, 15:08

You're very welcome :D If after a bit more use you do notice any graphical problems don't forget you can try the Basic OMTC settings I outlined

just_passing_by

Unread post by just_passing_by » 2018-01-10, 16:18

Sure I will! :thumbup: