Webpage problem

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Webpage problem

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-24, 21:24

I am running Linux antiX 17 32 bit and PM 27.6.2. for Linux on a laptop.

I am having problem with the following webpage:

https://www.sportchek.ca/weekly-deals/b ... tNumber=48

It will not scroll properly. There is about a 3-4 second lag when I try to scroll the page. I have tried it with uBlock origin enabled and disabled, and it makes no difference. The only other addon that I use is a cookie exterminator. I also have the same problem with FF ESR 52.5.2 for linux.

Note: I tried this webpage on a Windows 8 laptop which runs PM 27.6.2 and it has the same problem. I tried FF 57.0.2 and Cent browser on the Windows 8 laptop and neither had a scrolling problem with this webpage.

Please advise me if there is anything that I can to to fix this problem with PM.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Last edited by greyowl on 2017-12-24, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Webpage problem

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-24, 21:40

im a linux user and it scrolls just fine for me.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-24, 22:06

Moonraker wrote:im a linux user and it scrolls just fine for me.
Well, this is strange because it does work right with both Linux and Windows 8 for me.

Are you using PM 27.6.2?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-24, 23:42

greyowl wrote:
Moonraker wrote:im a linux user and it scrolls just fine for me.
Well, this is strange because it does work right with both Linux and Windows 8 for me.

Are you using PM 27.6.2?
yes im using the latest version 27.6.2.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-12-24, 23:53

Also on Linux (Manjaro x64 latest) with no issues and UD enabled. Not the smoothest scrolling site (looks like they lazy load) but no display issues.

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2017-12-25, 09:10

Scrolling is laggy with me too.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-28, 15:14

I am wondering if this is a bug that needs to be reported.
Or, will the developer read this post and correct the problem?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-28, 15:23

It doesn't scroll smoothly for me either. Lots of "stop & goes" when scrolling. I even disabled Adblock Latitude, refreshed the page and still the same scrolling problems.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.6.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-28, 16:41

I'm running 32-bit unstable (27.7.0a2_171218) on Gentoo linux on a 2008 Dell (Core2 Duo cpu) with 3 gigabytes of RAM. Really laggy scroll for me. I noticed something interesting...
  • * Open "top" in an terminal window beside a Pale Moon window
    * Go to that webpage in Pale Moon and hold down the downarrow for several seconds to scroll
Top shows the Pale Moon instance pegging one cpu core a 100%

Speculation... this looks like a very inefficient webpage that basically redraws the entire webpage when you scroll. This implies that if you have a newer 4 (or more) core cpu to throw at it, it'll render OK. But on an older one or two core cpu it'll be painfull. Can the people who tested the page do it again, and mention their cpu, number of cores, and amount of ram? Also, can you push a cpu to 100% on "top" when scrolling?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-28, 18:17

The cores don't have anything to do with the scrolling fiasco for that website.

My first post above was made with my everyday desktop tower computer which was built in 2010. It has an i7 Intel processor with a speed of 2.80 without any overclocking. And it has 16 GB of memory.
The scrolling on that website was crappy.

So I decided to visit the website again using my second desktop tower computer which was built in 2013 and which I'm typing this post with. It has an i7 Intel processor with a speed of 3.40 without any overclocking. And this tower computer has 24 GB of memory. Same crappy scrolling.

In both tower computers, this cpu cores max out. In my opinion, bad coding on that website.

Both linux hard drives used to visit the website were using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.6.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2017-12-28, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-12-29, 06:54

It's also pretty dire on my built-this-year 16core amd machine. I think as you scroll it must be loading each image synchronously (rough guess from looking at the web console)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-30, 08:44

We can't magically fix bad webdesign on the browser side.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-30, 18:35

Moonchild wrote:We can't magically fix bad webdesign on the browser side.
I just thought that since FF 57 has no problems with the site that maybe there was a issue with the browser as well.