Webpage Problem with PM and Windows 8

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Webpage Problem with PM and Windows 8

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-25, 00:46

I am running Windows 8 and Palemoon 27.6.2.

I am having problem with the following webpage:

https://www.sportchek.ca/weekly-deals/b ... tNumber=48

It will not scroll properly. There is about a 3-8 second lag when I try to scroll the page. I have tried it with uBlock origin enabled and disabled, and it makes no difference. I tried FF 57.0.2 and Cent browser on the Windows 8 laptop and neither had a scrolling problem with this webpage.

Please advise me if there is anything that I can to to fix this problem with PM.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

lyceus

Re: Webpage Problem with PM and Windows 8

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-12-25, 03:50

Merry Christmas!

I can confirm that this page does the same with Windows 7 SP1 64 bits. But checking the JS code, I saw that it try to avoid the fine scroll of the user for show "rows" of articles using WebKit code.

Code: Select all

,window.performance["webkitC"+s]()},
        !1)),document[f]("scroll",r,{passive:!0}),document[f]("keypress",r,!1),document[f]("click",r,!1)}},{}]
From what I remember from WebKit it was deprecated from Pale Moon in some moment and later added as partial support. Since the webmasters of this page use the WebtKit extension for always show merchandise (scroll to the end and you see in the URL https://www.sportchek.ca/weekly-deals/wk51/nike-shoes-25-off/mens/cleats-court.html#lastVisibleProductNumber=64 hence they know what was the last item you showed on screen) this tax the scroll and then the delay occurs(heh sorry the Engrish meme).

Basically for this page you will need to use another browser or tolerate the delay or expect better WebKit support from some volunteer.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-25, 05:01

Just scrolling up and down by dragging the scroll bar thumb quickly up and down from top to bottom and bottom to top many times I do not get any kind of noticeable scrolling delay worth mentioning in Pale Moon 27.6.2 (32-bit) using a Windows 7 SP1 64 bit OS. Or do I have to elsewhere on this page than just directly using the link posted (considering that there is not a lot of scroll space for this direct link)?

The webpage header expands and retracts (minimizes) depending upon the position on the page (from top to bottom):

Page Top:
Page Header expanded
Page Header expanded
Page Bottom:
Page Header minimized
Page Header minimized
but the page scrolling from top to bottom and bottom to top scrolls relatively smoothy and without any meaningful delay in my case.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-25, 20:01

The url for the problem page is not complete in the original post.

Here is the complete problem webpage: https://www.sportchek.ca/weekly-deals/b ... tNumber=45

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-25, 20:07

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Just scrolling up and down by dragging the scroll bar thumb quickly up and down from top to bottom and bottom to top many times I do not get any kind of noticeable scrolling delay worth mentioning in Pale Moon 27.6.2 (32-bit) using a Windows 7 SP1 64 bit OS. Or do I have to elsewhere on this page than just directly using the link posted (considering that there is not a lot of scroll space for this direct link)?

The webpage header expands and retracts (minimizes) depending upon the position on the page (from top to bottom):

Page Top: top.pngPage Bottom:bottom.pngbut the page scrolling from top to bottom and bottom to top scrolls relatively smoothy and without any meaningful delay in my case.
This is not the problem webpage. See correct webpage above.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-26, 04:27

^ Tested the webpage linked above and get the same result --- no issues in my case scrolling from top to bottom and bottom to top of the page.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-26, 19:27

Pale Moon Rising wrote:^ Tested the webpage linked above and get the same result --- no issues in my case scrolling from top to bottom and bottom to top of the page.
Thanks for checking again.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-12-26, 19:48

I get the same lag issue using win 8.1(x64) PM 27.6.2 (x64) with and without addons.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-28, 15:12

I am wondering if this is a bug that needs to be reported.
Or, will the developer read this post and correct the problem?
Last edited by greyowl on 2017-12-28, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-12-28, 15:32

I can confirm the lag here on Win 10/64 - PM 27.6.2/64. I tested also on PM unstable version -clean profile and is the same.
There is no lag on Firefox.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-28, 16:06

Lags for me too.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-12-28, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-12-28, 17:33

Lags here in PM, Chrome and Vivaldi. Looks like a badly coded page...

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-28, 18:58

For me it lags in Chrome, IE11, PM and Basilisk and works normally in Edge and FF.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-12-28, 19:06, edited 2 times in total.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-29, 12:53

Thanks for the verification.

Since the website works OK on FF 57, is it possible to change PM so that it will work OK?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-29, 14:13

greyowl wrote:Since the website works OK on FF 57, is it possible to change PM so that it will work OK?
Since that site; in my opinion, has a badly coded page, why should PM cater to pages with badly coded pages? This is a slippery slope in my opinion. Do this for one site and then people would expect PM to do this for all badly coded sites.

I think it would be better for you to inform the website about the bad code since their coder in their employ "ain't the best" and let him/her fix the problem since he/she created the problem. Either they'll fix it or they won't. If they won't fix it, then use a backup browser of your choice.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2017-12-29, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-12-31, 01:56

Thanks for the suggestion.