More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-18, 21:05

Since my thread was locked before I could respond, I would like to say that I myself could not successfully install any extension into Basilisk until I changed the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled to false.

And I noticed other folks had trouble until they modified that setting. So that was where I was coming from in the OP.

I was not talking about copying profiles. Not sure how it went down that path; maybe the thread I chose, but I simply picked something at random where changing the setting helped. If that caused problems, I am sorry.

Again, my experience was that the setting value of 'true' caused needless confusion since I could not install any extension until it was switched to 'false'. So I suggested that the value be changed.

Peace out.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-12-18, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 21:09

Did YOU try to install add-ons in a clean fresh new Basilisk profile? Or did you try and migrate a Pale Moon or Firefox profile first.. Cause if it is the former.. We have more exploration to do to find the root cause.. IF it is the latter then the issue is with you.. Not us. In that case the code is doing what it is supposed to do and you are in effect feeding it garbage data.

Disabling the blocklist and suggesting users do that.. Is NOT a fix and indeed is recommending to people to cripple their security. The default value will not be changed in ANY event and creating a new thread after the previous one was locked will ONLY get you in trouble with the moderators.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2017-12-18, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-18, 21:11

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Did YOU try to install add-ons in a clean fresh new Basilisk profile?
Yes.
In fact, I believe I reported this in another thread.
I will try to find it and modify this post.

UPDATE: Here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17398
And the workaround suggested: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17398#p127467
MC mentions changing the blocklist server: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17398&start=20#p127770
— so I guess if that is done by the next release, the necessity of changing the relevant setting to 'false' will be negated
And here I state that I did not try to copy Fx profiles: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17398&start=20#p127789
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-12-18, 21:25, edited 3 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 21:20

I suggest you try it.. again, instead of searching for posts.
basilisk.png

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-12-18, 21:25

I had reported the same problem: With a fresh profile (nothing copied) I was not able to get the extensions to work - but with blocking the setting of the blocklist everything works fine. I found this solution just by chance - because I set the preferences in every profile (Pale Moon, Firefox ...) to false.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 21:26

The blocklist server is already set to our own. And installing extensions works just fine on the current (latest) basilisk release version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 21:26

What Add-ons did not install?

We need test cases..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 21:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:What Add-ons did not install?

We need test cases..
He did say "ANY" so I'm assuming any we try would have to fail which is obviously not the case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 21:29

Guess so.. Still, a list would help..
basilisk.png
Profile was created about 15 minutes ago...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-18, 21:45

Hello. I am still working on testing, but so far here is what happens when I install uBlock Origin (XUL):
When the extension is first installed, all is well, but a few minutes I get what you see in the above screenshot.
Additionally, when I refresh the page, the warning goes away. Then I refresh it again, and it comes back.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-18, 21:58

Here is a list, click on thumbnail to enlarge:
But, I reiterate, this will happen with any extension.

EDIT: I added more extensions for a bigger list:
Decentraleyes, DownThemAll, Persona Switcher, QuickNote, Show Profile, uBlock Origin, & Flagfox

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-18, 22:40

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:... IF it is the latter then the issue is with you.. Not us ...
To me, as a "normal user", the "issue" looks a bit different.

First of all, IMNSHO the distinction between "you" and "us" doesn't fit in this conversation. I understand that "us" refers to the developers and "you" to the user, but what's the point?

I mean, if "you" are not in the least interested in creating a "good experience" for "us", what's the whole exercise about?

I've read this page a couple of times: https://www.basilisk-browser.org/. It's pretty clear that "you" aren't particularly interested in how cute the little pussycat that I've got for my activity indicator is.

This, of course, is fully legitimate.

What I wonder, though, is what "you" actually want or expect from "us".

I suspect that there are, and will increasingly be, people who land here because they're looking for alternatives to post-v57 Fx. There is, I guess, a broad discrepancy in "our" levels of computer knowledge.

If "you" only want people with computer science degrees to use "your" browser, that's legit, too, but why not be upfront and say it.

As far as my two-month experience with Pale Moon goes and my three days with Basilisk, I very happy with and impressed by what "you" have put together.

Ultimately, pretty much everything works the way I want, and - whether "you" care or not - I'm actually having a good time (some call it "fun") surfing with "your" browsers.
-------------------------------
As for changing the setting extensions.blocklist.enabled to "false", it was a tip that helped me a lot.

I'm not sure where the blocklist.xml in my "cross-application, mangled profile" originally came from, but having read Moonchild's FAQ, I re-downloaded the Basilisk zip version (I only use zip versions) extracted it into a junk folder, copied its blocklist.xml file, and used it to replace the one in my profile.

As I've said elsewhere, I spent about six hours yesterday afternoon (17 Dec 2017) trying to get a brand-new Basilisk profile to do what I wanted, but I failed. I then went back to my "cross-application, mangled profile". I've been using it all day, and it's fine. Maybe I was lucky.
-------------------------------
Addendum, quoted from http://www.palemoon.org/ ...
"This browser is released as a community project to aim for open, collaborative development of a full-featured web browser, as much designed by the user as it is by our development team. It is released "as-is" and in the hope that it will be useful to its users." (Text highlighted in red by "joeyg".)

I assumed that the sentiment implied in this quote carried over to Basilisk.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2017-12-18, 22:58, edited 2 times in total.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-18, 22:55

I also had the same problem in a new, clean profile, just like gracious1 (I also mentioned that in one the threads somewhere). Changing that setting in about:config fixed the problem. But that was in the previous version of Basilisk, so I can't say whether I would have the same problem again or not if I started from scratch with the latest version.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 23:29

But disabling the blocklist isn't a fix. Why can't any of you understand that.. If there is an actual existing problem (which WE, the developers cannot reproduce) then how can we fix it.. Disabling the blocklist also is cripping YOUR security and suggesting it as a fix, WHICH IT ISN'T, not only makes things worse for everyone but ALSO does not help ANYONE in finding the root cause.

Every time I create a new profile for Basilisk I have zero problems installing extensions. Same when Moonchild creates a new profile.. So WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING DIFFERENTLY?!

Steps:
  • Winkey+R
  • basilisk -profilemananger
  • Create Profile
  • Next
  • Finish
  • Start Basilisk
  • Go to AMO and install something
Tell us what happens...

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-18, 23:49

Just an observation and don't know if it's helpful, but looking at 1 and 2 (3d issue down) ...

Looks like the overwhelming majority of people with this problem are on Linux, in particular those who didn't try to copy their PM/FF profiles to Basilisk.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-19, 01:29

coffeebreak wrote:Just an observation and don't know if it's helpful, but looking at 1 and 2 (3d issue down) ...

Looks like the overwhelming majority of people with this problem are on Linux, in particular those who didn't try to copy their PM/FF profiles to Basilisk.
Actually, that MIGHT give us somewhere to start looking.. I am on Windows and don't have a viable Linux setup at the moment.. Hmm.. Someone needs to re-ping Travis.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-19, 01:49

It must be a Linux issue then. I just created a new profile to test it out. I tried to install CTR but it wouldn't let me. Then I installed Decentraleyes, closed Basilisk, and upon restarting Basilisk disabled it. Then after another restart, it allowed me to install CTR, but then after another restart got the security/stability warning (also for Decentraleyes, so I guess it got reenabled?).

If there's anything more specific you need, let me know.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-19, 02:06

It deff is very strange.. I dunno what could be happening on the Linux side of things..

Can anyone on Windows reproduce this behavior just to rule Windows out?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-19, 02:35

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Every time I create a new profile for Basilisk I have zero problems installing extensions. Same when Moonchild creates a new profile.. So WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING DIFFERENTLY?!
Steps:
  • Winkey+R […]
One difference is that I am using GNU/Linux, specifically Ubuntu 14.04 .
Here are my steps:
  1. At Terminal window enter

Code: Select all

basilisk -P --no-remote
  2. When profile manager appears, hit "Create New Profile"; click 'Next', call it "foo"; click 'Finish'; click 'Start Basilisk'
  3. Open Add-ons Manager
  4. Go to github and install uBlock Origin (XUL/XPCOM edition)
  5. Go to AMO and install these add-ons (restart when prompted):
    • Decentraleyes
    • DownThemAll
    • Persona Switcher (3.0.4)
    • QuickNote
    • Show Profile
    • Flagfox
  6. Go back to Add-ons Manager and click Extensions. You'll see every one has a security warning:
    Image(click to enlarge)
  7. In about:config, change the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled to false
  8. Return to Add-ons Manager; security warnings are gone.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-19, 12:53

It seems something is really wrong with Basilisk on Linux, even Browser Console doesn't work properly. Tested using Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint 18.

UPD: I filled an Issue here. This has already been reported here.

PS: I also confirm issue with add-ons blocking, I guess it has nothing to do with actual blocklist contents, but I can't do anything without working devtools.
Last edited by JustOff on 2017-12-19, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.