Classic Theme Restorer

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Classic Theme Restorer

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-17, 00:22

I just discovered Basilisk this evening and decided to give it a try.

I like to use my browser in "text" mode (which Pale Moon offers, but Basilisk apparently doesn't), so I tried to install the Firefox extension "Classic Theme Restorer".

Basilisk wouldn't allow me to install it, citing "security and stability" concerns.

I tried an "end run" by simply copying and pasting it from my Firefox ESR profile, but Basilisk refused to enable it.

I did a bit of reading about the Basilisk project before downloading it and realize it's a work in progress, and at a pretty early stage of development.

I can also understand that the devs probably never thought there might be a crazy user who actually uses "text".

Anyway, is it somehow possible to get Classic Theme Restorer to work in Basilisk?

Thanks.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Classic Theme Restorer

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-17, 00:36

Go to about:config and change the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled to false. See if that works.
I got this from forum member gracious1 and it solved my add-on problems in Basilisk.

EDIT: It should be changed to false, not true as originally written.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-17, 01:19

helloimustbegoing wrote:Go to about:config and change the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled to true. See if that works.

I got this from forum member gracious1 and it solved my add-on problems in Basilisk.
Thank you VERY much!

Actually, it was set to "True"; the secret was to set it to "False" and, as we say, it worked slicker'n snot. :clap:
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-17, 01:21

You said you tried to use your Firefox profile.. before that did you try and use your Pale Moon profile?

Please try to install CTR on a CLEAN profile on Basilisk.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-17, 02:00

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You said you tried to use your Firefox profile.. before that did you try and use your Pale Moon profile?
Thank you for your reply. Actually, I've got almost everything looking the way I want it now.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is customizing the Title Bar; I think I have a conflict somewhere, but it's not crucial at this point.
Please try to install CTR on a CLEAN profile on Basilisk.
It's 3AM here in Berlin, and I'm off to bed. I plan to do a more experimenting when I have more time.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-17, 02:07

I was hoping to get some information from YOU so we can fix this intermittent issue once and for all.

Please indicate if you, when you first installed Basilisk, did you start with a clean default profile and was unable to install CTR?

Also, would you, try a clean profile and see if you can install CTR?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-17, 02:13

Thanks for your reply.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I was hoping to get some information from YOU so we can fix this intermittent issue once and for all.

Please indicate if you, when you first installed Basilisk, did you start with a clean default profile and was unable to install CTR?
No, I never tried to install CTR on a clean Basilisk profile.
Also, would you, try a clean profile and see if you can install CTR?
Yes, gladly, but as I've said, it's late now. I'll try to do it tomorrow. When I do, I'll let you know what happens. OK?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-17, 02:33

Then here is what is happening, boys and girls.. When Mozilla-style applications download the blocklist from the server it is specified to download from it saves a copy in your profile.. When you copy a profile from Pale Moon or Firefox or Waterfox.. Your profile will contain a blocklist xml file from that application..

You MUST delete the cached blocklist so that the target application.. In this case, Basilisk can use the one baked initially until it is time to download a new cached version from the server. Else, this exact issue will show up..

Now, let's get to the specifics.. It is VERY inadvisable to copy a profile from Pale Moon to Basilisk at this time because of the radically different platforms and profile formats. It is also a bad idea to copy a profile from Firefox 55 (including whatever Waterfox is based on) or higher because of incompatible changes to the profile that WILL cause issues. These profiles cannot really be shared problem free between applications. ESPECIALLY when it comes to Pale Moon and Basilisk which are radically different. As radically different as Pale Moon 27's profiles are VS Pale Moon 26.

Also.. KEEP IN MIND that the profiles do go through an internal "upgrade" that makes them backwards incompatible with older versions from a "Mozilla" perspective.

Also, when going cross-application many MANY important preferences may not match what they should be. This will be reduced once Pale Moon is ported to UXP but still.. Different applications.. Different use cases and as a result.. Different default preferences.

Either dissect your profile for manual replacement on top of a clean profile.. Or export data using built in and extension methods.

WE do NOT support and WILL not support cross-application or cross-generation profile mangling.. You are on your own. ANY assistance from us regarding specifics SHALL ALWAYS BE at our sufferance.
Off-topic:
Moonchild should de-Tobinify this post and make it a FAQ...

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-17, 13:07

As always, thanks for your reply.

I've installed CTR and a couple of other extensions. with a new profile. The process works as expected.

Thanks again.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-17, 22:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:WE do NOT support and WILL not support cross-application or cross-generation profile mangling.. You are on your own. ANY assistance from us regarding specifics SHALL ALWAYS BE at our sufferance.
Following my last posting, I spent about six hours this afternoon trying to get a brand-new Basilisk profile to do what I wanted. I really tried to start with Basilisk from scratch. I failed to achieve what I wanted.

I have now gone back to my cross-application, mangled profile. So far it seems to work as I'd hoped.

This neither makes me cool nor smart.

My problem is that the "philosophical" origin of my browser usage and setup goes back to Netscape Navigator; it has developed with Mozilla from the Phoenix iteration down to Fx 56.

My decision to dump Firefox was more traumatic for me than divorcing my first wife. (I actually still have the latest ESR on my machine and intend to keep it until it goes the way of v. 57 next June or whatever they've set the date for.)

Whether I receive assistance from the Basilisk forum members is - as you've put it - at your / their "sufferance".

At 71 years of age, though, and having faced much more meaningful challenges, it ain't such a big deal. Either I'll figure out a way to get things done with Basilisk or I'll dump it.

Having said this, I'll be extremely grateful for anyone prepared to "suffer" my questions.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-18, 00:50

JoeyG wrote:
Following my last posting, I spent about six hours this afternoon trying to get a brand-new Basilisk profile to do what I wanted. I really tried to start with Basilisk from scratch. I failed to achieve what I wanted.
What exactly isn't working?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-18, 01:29

helloimustbegoing wrote:What exactly isn't working?
Thank you very much for your reply.

It's a bit late now (almost 02.30 here in Berlin), so I'll have to wait till tomorrow for a fuller reply.

In the meantime, here's a screenshot of what I see when I open Basilisk. It's now exactly how I want it.
http://edu-net.net/images/Basilisk.jpg

There are lots of little tweaks that I wasn't able to get working from zero.

Again, thank you, and good night.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 11:16

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-12-18, 13:27

Moonchild wrote:In addition, when going cross-application, many, many important preferences may not be what they should be. This issue will be reduced (but not vanish entirely) once Pale Moon is ported to UXP, but they are still different applications, with different use cases and as a result: different default preferences.
There are the following preferences:

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 53d4fR2179
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... l.js#L2285

Code: Select all

mouse.button4.enabled
mouse.button5.enabled
vs.

Code: Select all

mousebutton.4th.enabled
mousebutton.5th.enabled
Is it alright (different names)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 13:31

Not sure what you are asking.
differently-named preferences will obviously NOT work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-12-18, 14:00

Moonchild wrote:Not sure what you are asking.
I wonder if it's deliberate (and if this - user - setting disappears after: Goanna 3 / Pale Moon => Goanna 4 / UXP), or a bug.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 14:28

...? deliberate, how? Deliberate that these preferences are named a certain way? Of course it is deliberate. No point in naming preferences something random and unrelated.
Don't tell me you're complaining that I didn't name everything exactly the way Mozilla named things in Firefox (or didn't make an effort to look it up, for that matter)
When I wrote that patch, I thought that 'mouse.buttonn.enabled' was a good naming convention. Mozilla's naming is rather odd IMO.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-18, 15:25

Hi, it's me again, the OP. :wave:

Having reviewed all the replies that are relevant to my original post, I am happy to report that I am now satisfied with how I have Pale Moon and Basilisk set up.

Despite my best efforts ;), I have not - as far as I'm able to see - been able to break anything.

I congratulate Moonchild and the dev team for the robustness they have managed to build into both browsers.

For the last ten years or so, I had been running Fx beta and Nightly side by side on my machines. Watching the "development process" was always interesting, though not always fun.

Fx ESR is still hanging around and will continue to do so till the Fx v.57 changes get integrated next spring, but it's just 'cause I have time on my hands and space on my HDD.

I sincerely look forward to watching the development of PM and Basilisk.

I've actually been trying to do a bit of proselytizing, and I'll continue to do so.

Again, my thanks to all who have taken the time to reply to my posting

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-12-19, 07:04

Moonchild wrote:Don't tell me you're complaining that I didn't name everything exactly the way Mozilla named things in Firefox.
It was not a complaint, I just commented (and I asked for information). This resolves:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 047a6b9ef2