Skipping YouTube ads... doesn't

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Skipping YouTube ads... doesn't

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-12-15, 17:38

I'm not sure exactly where this one should goes, so if anyone feels it's better suited in another category, feel free to move it.

Running Pale Moon 27.6.2 (64-bit) on Solus OS 3. When YouTube shows an ad before a video, I hit the button to skip it after 5 seconds. The ad briefly disappears, then immediately re-appears; this time with no ability to skip it. Refreshing the page means the ad isn't played again. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Skipping YouTube ads... doesn't

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-15, 20:20

Do you have a link to a YT video where an ad plays before the video so we check it out? All of the YT videos I have in my saved bookmarks don't play ads before the videos so it would help if you provided the link to one that did.

BTW, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.6.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce with Adblock Latitude 4.0.1 enabled for YouTube.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-12-15, 20:56

Now that I want to find one, I can't. lol. One video I tried played an ad, but the skip button worked correctly. Here it is anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQ_tf70DIs
I have uBlock Origin turned off for YouTube to support the people I watch; your ad blocker might block the ads, I'm not sure how ABL functions in that respect.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-12-15, 21:47

EbonJaeger wrote:I'm not sure exactly where this one should goes, so if anyone feels it's better suited in another category, feel free to move it.

The ad briefly disappears, then immediately re-appears; this time with no ability to skip it. Refreshing the page means the ad isn't played again. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
IIRC, I saw that kind of glitch before, with an ad playing, then when it ends, (And the red button possibly appears as well... With clicking on that button just resulting in the same ad being played again, IIRC.) it insists on repeating the ad, thus an ad infinite-loop that can only be cured by refreshing the page!

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-12-15, 22:00

Found one where it happened again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_tGCS_8sI
Also none of the media controls (pause, etc) work. So that's a thing.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-15, 22:10

I disabled my ublock origin in PM and tried the YT videos posted and they all work fine for me - I can skip the ad and media controls work well.

Update: I tried it a few times clicking from the link posted in post above, trying to generate ads, and then it happened on final try - one ad looped and media controls don't work. Refreshed out of it. Got some more ads but they all behaved normally.

Intuit quickbooks, video game ad, rockstar and daily drama ad worked fine. Out of 8 or 9 ads this issue happened only once for me.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-12-15, 22:39, edited 3 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-15, 22:36

EbonJaeger wrote:Here it is anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQ_tf70DIs
I have uBlock Origin turned off for YouTube to support the people I watch; your ad blocker might block the ads, I'm not sure how ABL functions in that respect.
After clicking on the link you provided "five" separate times, there were no ads playing before the video in any of those five sessions.. I'm guessing the ad (or ads) didn't play was because of my Adblock Latitude which is enabled for YouTube.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-12-15, 22:39

Seems to be pretty random then. It doesn't help that the ads shown both appear randomly, and are randomly chosen. Makes figuring this out that much more of a pain.
Night Wing wrote:
EbonJaeger wrote:Here it is anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQ_tf70DIs
After clicking on the link you provided "five" separate times, there were no ads playing before the video in any of those five sessions.. I'm guessing the ad (or ads) didn't play was because of my Adblock Latitude which is enabled for YouTube.
Yeah, that would be my guess.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-15, 22:50

Okay for what it's worth I found an ad that I experience this problem with:
Capture.PNG
And if I recall correctly this is the same ad that I saw the problem with before.

Tried to skip it, then it came back on and kept playing and media buttons stop working. Refreshed out of it.

Update: Tried some more ads... no problem.

Got this same Tai Lopez bitcoin ad again... problem returns.
Capture2.PNG

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-12-15, 23:51

tenseys wrote:Okay for what it's worth I found an ad that I experience this problem with:

And if I recall correctly this is the same ad that I saw the problem with before.

Tried to skip it, then it came back on and kept playing and media buttons stop working. Refreshed out of it.
I had the issue with this ad as well. So that indicates that it's something with certain ones.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-12-16, 17:28

This was reported on github a while ago:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... ssues/1014

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-16, 18:31

Tried it again and that same ad (actually I think it was a variation of his ad) seems to reliably reproduce the issue. I haven't yet ran into any other ad - I think there are at least 10 different other ones - that does this. Not to say that there are not other similar ads.

What is "devtools" console?

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-16, 20:35

I tried this in FF57 with the same user agent override that PM uses for YT and that ad behaves like it should.

butternut

Unread post by butternut » 2017-12-21, 19:49

Just joining the chorus to say that I have intermittently encountered this problem, too. I don't have any adblockers active. I wish they hadn't closed the topic on github, because I don't feel this is effectively understood or resolved.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-12-21, 23:20

This is a plug for Hooktube.

I've tested 3 of the YT links I've seen here, and Hooktube shows no ads. Hooktube is much lighter on resources than YT and has no ads of any sort.

I use this script from greasyfork to intercept YT links and play them in Hooktube: hooktube-redirect.js. Greasyfork also has a more aggressive script that prevents you from even going to YT - I forget what its called. The script I use allows you to go to YT and view vids in YT if you want. If you want to browse in YT and open links in Hooktube, thats just a matter of turning off xhr in YT.

Hooktube is very good. It even has a d/l button by each vid. I'm not a YT junkie, so havent tested it to death but am very impressed. And no; no connection.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-21, 23:50

doofy wrote:This is a plug for Hooktube.

I've tested 3 of the YT links I've seen here, and Hooktube shows no ads. Hooktube is much lighter on resources than YT and has no ads of any sort.

I use this script from greasyfork to intercept YT links and play them in Hooktube: hooktube-redirect.js. Greasyfork also has a more aggressive script that prevents you from even going to YT - I forget what its called. The script I use allows you to go to YT and view vids in YT if you want. If you want to browse in YT and open links in Hooktube, thats just a matter of turning off xhr in YT.

Hooktube is very good. It even has a d/l button by each vid. I'm not a YT junkie, so havent tested it to death but am very impressed. And no; no connection.

The OP wants to see the ads to support the content creators. He just wants the ads to work correctly and not loop etc.

An easy way to never see ads on YT is to use uBlock Origin or Adblock Latitude.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-22, 00:29

@ doofy
Off-topic:
I've never heard of HookTube until you mentioned it. I tired it out and I so far, I like it.

Thanks for the tip.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-12-22, 00:33

tenseys wrote:
doofy wrote:This is a plug for Hooktube.

tenseys wrote:The OP wants to see the ads to support the content creators. He just wants the ads to work correctly and not loop etc.
My understanding is that a youtuber gets paid for invideo ads but doesn't get paid for standard banner ads. So if OP is turning off his adblock and allowing banners and invideo, but then wants to skip the invideo after 5 secs, who is he benefiting? Youtube. Cos you can bet money YT monitors "skipping" and then either gives a prorata payment or none at all.
tenseys wrote:An easy way to never see ads on YT is to use uBlock Origin or Adblock Latitude.
My understanding is that you are incorrect. Blocking invideo is complex and YT keep moving the goalposts. I'm not speaking from experience, cos I rarely use YT; I'm speaking as a reader of the reddit uBO sub where there are multiple questions about blocking the invid ads.

If the OP wants to support the content creator, he should watch the invid ads.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-12-22, 00:39

Night Wing wrote:@ doofy
Off-topic:
I've never heard of HookTube until you mentioned it. I tired it out and I so far, I like it.

Thanks for the tip.
Off-topic:
Obv, you have to allow ytimg and googlevideo, but from memory Hooktube sets one cookie which is totally non essential, and certainly does not set any YT or google cookies

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-22, 01:55

doofy wrote: My understanding is that you are incorrect. Blocking invideo is complex and YT keep moving the goalposts. I'm not speaking from experience, cos I rarely use YT; I'm speaking as a reader of the reddit uBO sub where there are multiple questions about blocking the invid ads..
Well I do use YouTube a lot and I haven't seen a single ad on it since I started using uBlock Origin 2 years ago. Or anywhere else for that matter other than the rare hard coded website ad.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-12-22, 02:40, edited 6 times in total.