Alternatives to uMatrix and NoScript

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Alternatives to uMatrix and NoScript

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-21, 01:46

As announced in another thread...
So Pale Moon is losing both NoScript and uMatrix. Is there an alternative to these?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Thehandyman1957

Re: Alternatives to uMatrix and NoScript

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-21, 02:56

My understanding is that Ublock is still working, using it myself with no problems.
As for NoScript, well I only use it for the XSS filtering anyway.

I also use Disconnect as it has some great filtering.
My guess at this point is that we may just have to settle for what we can get at this point. :think:

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-11-21, 03:17

This is probably little consolation, but NoScript version 5.1.x (non-Webextension version) will be maintained as long as Firefox ESR 52 is active, which is till June 2018.

Source: https://noscript.net/getit
You can still download NoScript "Classic" (5.1.7) for Firefox 52 ESR here: it will be updated until June 2018, when ESR and the Tor Browser based on it will switch to 59.
But what's wrong with using an "old" version? I'm using version 2.9.5.3 and it works just as fine as the day it was released.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-21, 05:32

I was actually having problems with the newest available version of NoScript so I went back to version NoScript 2.9.0.11
I have been using for years and it works perfect. Sometimes the older stuff works just fine.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-11-24, 11:13

Thats bad. uBlock go then the same way like uMatrix i think.
This mean the best 2 adddons are not longer supportet for Pale Moon. Anybody test the webextension version with Basilisk?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-24, 12:11

Well, anyone who is interested in keeping the old versions around can fork and maintain the code on their own :)

Anyway, it was clear from the start that the developers would switch over to that Google Chrome tech garbage sooner or later, as Mozilla has become a fulltime Google shill without the wish to keep their own unique creation around :thumbdown:

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-11-25, 01:54

Some people might think this is dumb, but I see no reason why old versions of NoScript and uBlock Origin which work correctly can't continue to be used. Just as long as you keep the filter lists in uBo updated.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-25, 04:46

helloimustbegoing wrote:Some people might think this is dumb, but I see no reason why old versions of NoScript and uBlock Origin which work correctly can't continue to be used. Just as long as you keep the filter lists in uBo updated.
I agree 100 percent on this one, It's not the program that needs to be always updated.
It's the filters. So as long as you can update the filters then use what ever works for you. ;)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-25, 10:43

Thehandyman1957 wrote:My understanding is that Ublock is still working
Thread title: uMatrix, not uBlock ;) ;) AFAIK Raymond Hill will continue to support XUL/XPCOM uBlock for the time being. Of course that could change, but for now, only uMatrix is going WebExt-only.

The point is, though, these are the only two programs I know that give you such a granularity of control, so down the road this could be a problem. Also, no security patches, so even though the old programs run, they might not be safe.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-25, 12:04

And for this reason everyone who thinks they are capable of or are willing to learn the knowledge to do so, can fork them when the time has come ;)

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2017-11-25, 14:48

Sajadi wrote:And for this reason everyone who thinks they are capable of or are willing to learn the knowledge to do so, can fork them when the time has come ;)
You’ve already said that. It was useless the first time; it’s not any better the second one.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-11-25, 17:11

gracious1 wrote:
Also, no security patches, so even though the old programs run, they might not be safe.
This brings up a good question. Has there ever been any malware or attacks through these extensions? Is it possible the 3 extensions being talked about here (uMatrix, uBo, NoScript) can be targeted in such a way? If it were, I'd suspect it would have already have happened, being that they are among the most popular extensions (at least two of them, anyway).
Last edited by ron_1 on 2017-11-25, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-25, 17:14

tooshorttoolong wrote:
Sajadi wrote:And for this reason everyone who thinks they are capable of or are willing to learn the knowledge to do so, can fork them when the time has come ;)
You’ve already said that. It was useless the first time; it’s not any better the second one.
Not nearly as useless and pointless as your reply. :P
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-25, 20:29

tooshorttoolong wrote:You’ve already said that. It was useless the first time; it’s not any better the second one.
Useless? Not at all. Just meant to say instead of being worried or later angry that Pale Moon does not support the add-ons of choice anymore (this place has been at that point already countless of times, and tons of times it got nasty and unpleasant because of that) that people are encouraged to take things into their own hands. This is no magic or Chinese language. A small browser project sometimes requires the users who want to keep their add-ons or want their features they value implemented to get going on their own, deliver patches or fork stuff they want (to keep).

And there are enough resources online to make things like that possible :)

Nothing more, nothing less. No offense :)

But it is always an option people are forgetting about and it is quite a lot resulting an accusations or complaining in the end when it happens. 8-) So, sometimes sending a reminder (or 2) is not a bad idea, you never know who is reading or willing to take things into their own hands.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-25, 21:53

Guys, stick to the point please. Disconnect was mentioned, I see it's available both as an extension and Windows program. Does it use HTTPS filtering like Adguard for example?

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2017-11-26, 13:27

Sajadi wrote:A small browser project sometimes requires the users who want to keep their add-ons or want their features they value implemented to get going on their own, deliver patches or fork stuff they want (to keep).
You’re correct of course. Sorry for being aggressive before.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-06, 04:03

As it turns out, we don't quite need an alternative to uMatrix yet! 8-) From another thread:
ketmar wrote:as i said, what GH did is stopped publishing xpis for XUL-based framework. all the code is still there, and Pale Moon (XUL, actually) support is not removed. anyone is free to build correct xpi from uMatrix source code.
To that end, here's a tutorial on just that for PM users who want to install uMatrix from source code:
How to install uMatrix in Pale Moon 27 for GNU/Linux (Ubuntu).

:mrgreen: