Scripts for installing / updating the basilisk browser under Debian / Ubuntu variations

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Scripts for installing / updating the basilisk browser under Debian / Ubuntu variations

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-11-17, 19:30

Install Basilisk Web Browser on Debian- or Ubuntu-based System (like Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.)

The script is the likely the same as for installing the Firefox ESR version on a Debian-based System.

1. Download the Linux tarball:
http://www.basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml

2. Create a new textfile with the extension .sh (or no extension) with this content:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sudo tar -xvf basilisk.tar.bz2 -C /opt
sudo ln -s /opt/basilisk/basilisk /usr/bin/basilisk
sudo ln -s /opt/basilisk/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/basilisk.png
sudo ln -s /opt/basilisk/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/basilisk.png
sudo ln -s /opt/basilisk/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/basilisk.png
sudo ln -s /opt/basilisk/browser/icons/mozicon128.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/basilisk.png
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /usr/bin/basilisk 100
3. Rename the downloaded tarball to

basilisk.tar.bz2

4. Start the terminal and enter

sh basilisk.sh
You will be asked for your root password.
After that the installation started.

5. Create a new link / desktop file to the basilisk web browser:
Open an text editor and enter the following lines:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Basilisk Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
GenericName=Web Browser
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=basilisk %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/opt/basilisk/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
Actions=NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;

[Desktop Action NewWindow]
Name=Open a New Window
Exec=basilisk -new-window
OnlyShowIn=Unity;

[Desktop Action NewPrivateWindow]
Name=Open a New Private Window
Exec=basilisk -private-window
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
Save the file as basilisk.desktop.
Copy the file as sudo in the folder

sudo cp YourBasiliskDesktopFile /usr/share/applications
Now you can launch your Basilisk Web Browser from the startmenu.

I will add an update script later in this topic.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Scripts for installing / updating the basilisk browser under Debian / Ubuntu variations

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 19:32

Basilisk includes the internal updater. A script for manually downloading and updating *should* not be needed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Scripts for installing / updating the basilisk browser under Debian / Ubuntu variations

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-17, 19:52

Yeah, but Linux has its quirks! Internal updater may not work if Basilisk is installed in a location different from user's "home" directory.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-18, 00:39

Just installed this on Linux Mint 17.3 without a hitch. Thank you, mseliger!
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-18, 01:22

mseliger wrote:

#!/bin/bash
Quick question, is there a reason you chose bash over sh ?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-11-18, 04:33

It should also be noted that extracting Basilisk to a non user-writable location (such as /opt as this script does), will not allow the internal updater to work.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-11-23, 14:27

Just installed it on Ubuntu MATE 17.10. :mrgreen: Thank you so much!

I hope a GNU/Linux installer like Pale Moon's be available whenever Basilisk leaves Beta stage. ;)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-11-23, 15:51

There will be no official installer tool as it is not needed (see above).

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-23, 16:47

I only intend to use this script for first-time installation. Will the update mechanism work correctly if the application is installed to /usr/lib?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-23, 17:35

Isengrim wrote:I only intend to use this script for first-time installation. Will the update mechanism work correctly if the application is installed to /usr/lib?
The update mechanism will only work if the browser is installed in a location that is writable by your user account. if /usr/lib is writable without elevation (e.g. sudo) by your user account, then it should work. If not, then not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-25, 03:22

with the exception of the Desktop file this is such a bad idea on the other side as far as I can tell this script is not limited to Debian forks it should work on all Linuxes there is nothing Debiany about it
do not use this script do not put Basilisk in a root writable directory

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-11-28, 18:45

How to update the basilisik browser

1. Download the Linux tarball:
http://www.basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml

2. Create a new textfile with the extension .sh (or no extension) with this content:

sudo rm -rf /opt/basilisk
sudo tar -xvf basilisk.tar.bz2 -C /opt
Name the file e.g. basiliskupdate.sh

3. Rename the downloaded tarball to

basilisk.tar.bz2
4. Start the terminal and enter

sh basiliskupdate.sh
You will be asked for your root password.
After that the update started.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-29, 05:02

trava90 wrote:It should also be noted that extracting Basilisk to a non user-writable location (such as /opt as this script does), will not allow the internal updater to work.
For those who prefer to update manually, this would be acceptable, and indeed preferable. You would get an error message that an update could not be made because of permissions. This would serve as a notice that an update is available. You could then use the script to download and install the latest tarball, or just perform the commands yourselves.

If you want to use the update mechanism, and you've already used the script as written to install Basilisk, then moving the basilisk directory to a user-writable directory won't help, because root still owns the directory and its contents. So just change ownership, like so:

sudo -i
chown -R your_name:your_group /opt/basilisk 
exit
Substitute your name and group (usually identical to your name on your personal computer).

Peace.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-03, 04:09

Tried the instructions in the original post; they didn't work for me. I got the message "sh: 0: Can't open basilisk.sh". So I then manually copied the basilisk folder into /opt as administrator, followed the instructions for the "basilisk.desktop" file, saved it where instructed, but the start menu entry did not start the browser. So I went to /opt/basilisk, and clicked on the basilisk file, and the browser started, so nothing was wrong there. Any idea why the instructions didn't work for me? I'm on Linux Mint 18.3, Mate, 64 bit.

The main reason why I tried this is because I want a start menu entry. Is there any other way to get that?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-03, 11:57

helloimustbegoing wrote:Tried the instructions in the original post; they didn't work for me. I got the message "sh: 0: Can't open basilisk.sh".
The script presumes that the script and the tarball are in the same directory. Was this the case when you tried to run it?
helloimustbegoing wrote: So I then manually copied the basilisk folder into /opt as administrator, followed the instructions for the "basilisk.desktop" file, saved it where instructed, but the start menu entry did not start the browser.
Did you create the crucial symbolic link?

sudo ln -s /opt/basilisk/basilisk /usr/bin/basilisk
In fact, you should create all the symbolic links in the script. (Those are the lines that begin with
"sudo ln -s").

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-03, 13:56

gracious1 wrote:
The script presumes that the script and the tarball are in the same directory. Was this the case when you tried to run it?
Yes.
gracious1 wrote:
Did you create the crucial symbolic link?
No. Maybe when I get the time I'll try again. Thanks for helping. Still can't figure out why the script didn't work since they (script & tarball) were both in the same directory though.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-12-03, 14:14

helloimustbegoing wrote:The main reason why I tried this is because I want a start menu entry. Is there any other way to get that?
Most Linux distros that I'm aware of come with a GUI menu editor where you can add your own custom entries.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-03, 14:43

Thanks gracious1, it worked.
trava90 wrote:
Most Linux distros that I'm aware of come with a GUI menu editor where you can add your own custom entries.
I didn't see this till after I did the above. But thanks, now I'll know for next time.

Another question I have, since it has been discussed in this thread, is where is a good place to "install" the basilisk folder? All of the folders in "/" are not writeable, except the /tmp folder. Is it okay to put it there?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-07, 15:35

helloimustbegoing wrote:Thanks gracious1, it worked.
Hey, you're welcome! :mrgreen:
Another question I have, since it has been discussed in this thread, is where is a good place to "install" the basilisk folder?
Generally I put manually installed software in /opt .
It's okay to leave it there; then you can recursively make /opt/basilisk writeable, like so:

sudo chown -R your_name:your_group /opt/basilisk
Substitute your actual user name and group. On your personal computer, the name and the group are likely the same.
But if you really must check enter this command:

getent group your_name
You will get output like this:

your_group:x:1000:
This tells you that your_group is your primary group.
Actually, it was writeable all along, but only to root; now you own the directory and its contents, rather than root. Verify by entering this:

ls -l /opt
Somewhere in the list generated you should see something like this:

drwxr-xr-x 1 your-name    your-group    1116 Dec  5 09:21 basilisk
The first part of the string, drwx, tells you that it is a directory that is read/write/execute-able by you.
helloimustbegoing wrote:… the /tmp folder. Is it okay to put it there?
Nope!!! :!: :!: :!: Don't do it!