Pale Moon crashes on system type dialogs. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
armanelgtron

Pale Moon crashes on system type dialogs.

Unread post by armanelgtron » 2017-09-05, 21:54

Pale Moon crashes on system dialogs such as save as, print, etc. (NOT preferences or about) with an error of "Segmentation Fault". (ex Every single time I try to save as.) This has been happening since I originally installed it on this desktop running GNU/Linux (KDE Neon) Ubuntu Xenial (16.04). (Using the latest pale moon currently 27.4.2 (64-bit) [27.4.2~repack-1]) It is AMD64 architecture with a Quad Core AMD Athlon x4 640 CPU and an NVidia GT 730 GPU.
My idea of a workaround was to use some kind of other dialog system such as zenity or KDialog, but I did not see such options in about:config or preferences.
This happens on both the offical tar.bz2 builds and the steven pusser ubuntu builds. I have not experienced this crash on other systems with pale moon. Such crashes do not happen with Chromium or Firefox (but I do not have intentions to use those on a daily basis :P)
If you would like a traceback or something please let me know.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Pale Moon crashes on system type dialogs.

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-09-06, 04:21

Are you using the oxygen GTK2 theme? If so, please try changing it and see if the crashes still happen.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-09-06, 07:47

armanelgtron wrote:Pale Moon crashes on system dialogs such as save as, print, etc. (NOT preferences or about) with an error of "Segmentation Fault". (ex Every single time I try to save as.) This has been happening since I originally installed it on this desktop running GNU/Linux (KDE Neon) Ubuntu Xenial (16.04). (Using the latest pale moon currently 27.4.2 (64-bit) [27.4.2~repack-1]) It is AMD64 architecture with a Quad Core AMD Athlon x4 640 CPU and an NVidia GT 730 GPU.
How old is it, and does it support SSE2 instruction set? What is the output of the command (in a terminal)...
grep sse2 /proc/cpuinfo

If it supports 64-bits, it probably supports SSE2, but i"m not familiar with AMD cpus. "Athlon x4" is not specific enough here. All it says is a 4-core "Athlon", and there have been many "Athlon" models with various abilities. If you have gcc installed, you can get the exact cpu model with the command...
gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=

Failing that, try...
head /proc/cpuinfo
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-09-06, 12:36

Here's detailed info on his processor: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A ... OX%29.html

In short, I can tell you it does support SSE2.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-06, 12:48

This isn't an issue with CPU instruction support. If that were the case, the browser wouldn't even start. Thanks for trying to help but it's incorrect.

It's more likely that this is the known bug in oxygen-GTK2 as Travis indicated.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

armanelgtron

Unread post by armanelgtron » 2017-09-06, 19:27

trava90 wrote:Are you using the oxygen GTK2 theme? If so, please try changing it and see if the crashes still happen.
I was using the Oxygen GTK2 theme but changing to a different theme (breeze) and restarting the browser did not fix the segmentation fault. (Unless there are additional steps I have to take?)

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-09-08, 02:51

There is also a patched Oxygen-GTK theme in my repo that supports Palemoon, but the repo still seems to be down ATM.

Theowoll

Unread post by Theowoll » 2017-11-21, 20:46

armanelgtron wrote:Pale Moon crashes on system dialogs such as save as, print, etc. (NOT preferences or about) with an error of "Segmentation Fault".
I can confirm this bug under an up-to-date openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5 desktop and Pale Moon 27.6.1 (64-bit) installed with the Pale Moon for Linux installer.

armanelgtron

Unread post by armanelgtron » 2017-11-23, 02:50

Theowoll wrote:
armanelgtron wrote:Pale Moon crashes on system dialogs such as save as, print, etc. (NOT preferences or about) with an error of "Segmentation Fault".
I can confirm this bug under an up-to-date openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5 desktop and Pale Moon 27.6.1 (64-bit) installed with the Pale Moon for Linux installer.
Similar hardware specs?

Also, I cannot use gdb with palemoon to find out the cause of the segmentation fault.

Code: Select all

Reading symbols from palemoon...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
I will try to build manually in the near future.

Theowoll

Unread post by Theowoll » 2017-12-02, 14:05

armanelgtron wrote:Similar hardware specs?
CPU (from cpuid command): AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (Brisbane BH-G2), 65nm Processor 4600+
Graphics: integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 GPU (M3A78-EM mother board with AMD 780G / SB700 chipset)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-04, 00:18

This may be grasping at straws. If it works, it's straight out of "The Twilight Zone". On the Gentoo mailing list, somebody reported mysterious segfaults, but only on an AMD machine (sound familiar?). Apparently running the command ulimit -c unlimited mysteriously stops the segfaults. I don't see any logical reason why it should work, But it appears to help at least one person with an AMD Ryzen. Note that you have to execute the ulimit command with root privileges, or use "sudo".
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way