WebExtensions in Basilisk is so slow.

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: WebExtensions in Basilisk is so slow.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-01, 10:59

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Community projects, man! What a concept, eh?
I honestly think it completely escapes the vast majority.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-01, 11:40

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Then contribute to UXP to further improve webex supportPeace.
Well, most users do not have the abilities to do so and are just users. But nothing stops anyone from making more experienced people aware that there a need to help and to contribute to a real honest Open Source project ;) There are enough places to ask in a polite and not annoying way if someone would be willing to contribute.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-01, 11:58

Strawberry Man wrote:Well, most users do not have the abilities to do so and are just users.
Thing is.. Up till three (four now?) years ago while I had some basic insight into how Mozilla applications worked, which I have also imparted literally dozens of times now, I didn't have much in the way of practical experience beyond compiling until I came here and sat down and just started learning.. So while it may take time for someone to get up to speed and make the ground breaking contributions.. That isn't to say there is nothing anyone can't be doing just starting out.. Also, saying someone isn't capable of something is really a disservice to everyone.

So they don't have the ability to effect mass or radical change but EVERYONE has the potential for it and can acquire the ability. Of course there are some hurdles to that. First and foremost, they have to WANT to do it. I don't mean "I'd love to help but x" but truly want to accomplish some goal.. That is the biggest one.. After that while it doesn't get easier it will certainly be more attainable to achieve what they set out to achieve.

It all does really come down to choice. One has to choose to acquire a specific skill or ability. If they choose not to then well that is okay i guess but remains a shame never the less... But it isn't that they CAN'T it does come down to that they WON'T for whatever reason valid or otherwise.. Now I know I said those two words in caps and they have negative connotations.. So don't misinterpret what I say.. I don't mean to say people who choose not to help or put time into learning to help are bad.. Even if I might have suggested this in the past.. It isn't what I am saying NOW.

Anyway, I am approaching a level of rambling that doesn't always end well for me so I will stop here.

Peace!

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-01, 12:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Also, saying someone isn't capable of something is really a disservice to everyone.

What i wanted to say.. they do not have the abilities "out of the box" :D

It depends if one has time, or interest.. as you said it. Anyway. It is no insult with what i meant to say. Without any of that few points one does not have the abilities/skills/experence necessay to do so. Also, try to explain to a plain and simple consumer why they should learn new skills. Most likely they would refuse in an angry way to do so for whatever for reasons.

Btw. there is a partly related irony about that all too. That at the same very moment the simple consumer is the same user base Mozilla is caring today ;)

I also would consider myself without any of that necessary abilities. Simply because i am not intelligent enough to understand it. Which puts me into an even more worse position as all the consumers out there actually. :wave:

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-12-01, 17:03

Sajadi wrote:nothing stops anyone from making more experienced people aware that there a need to help and to contribute to a real honest Open Source project ;) There are enough places to ask in a polite and not annoying way if someone would be willing to contribute.
I've seen you mention this before. Can you list the sites you recommend?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-01, 17:11

joe04 wrote:I've seen you mention this before. Can you list the sites you recommend?
Well, there are enough coding related boards/forums, or one could visit Mozilla related irc channels and ask them for some guide or explanation or resources as they are the one's who make the Firefox specific implementation.

Enough places around for looking around and asking By just entering the term "coding forums" in Google a lot of places can be found which could theoretically help with that or another coding related problem. Anyway, this was just a suggestion. I am not interested to hijack that thread here any further.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2017-12-01, 17:19, edited 2 times in total.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-12-01, 17:19

What specific websites are you suggesting people go to, to ask for help from developers? (If the answer is "I don't know, google it" then please stop making this suggestion.)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-01, 17:21

joe04 wrote:What specific websites are you suggesting people go to, to ask for help from developers? (If the answer is "I don't know, google it" then please stop making this suggestion.)
I personally do not visit coding boards as i am no coder and i am not interested in coding related issues. Which does not change the fact that they ARE available and can be easily found. Anyway, my last input here. Have a nice day.

How about make it simple? irc.mozilla.org - channel #webextensions ?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-02, 02:37

joe04 wrote:What specific websites are you suggesting people go to, to ask for help from developers?
I dunno why Sajadi is being so guarded. Just go Moonchild Productions repository at Github.

Try these links:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/moebius
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/moebius/issues
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-12-02, 18:11

gracious1 wrote: I dunno why Sajadi is being so guarded. Just go Moonchild Productions repository at Github.
You misunderstand. Sajadi was advising others to recruit new developers to help with Pale Moon & Basilisk development. And he mentioned there are "coder sites" out there, but when I asked for names he admitted he was speculating about that, and had never done so himself. (At least his BS is exposed.)

My take: trying to recruit people to help out with development is mostly pointless. Apart from the existing bounty offers, it's hard to imagine someone deciding to help out in a development capacity who isn't already a devoted user. As Tobin stated earlier in this thread, you have to WANT to make a difference. The Mozilla codebase is massive, and even an experienced programmer will have quite a learning curve to become a productive contributor.

I've followed along on Github for over a year, and I've seen a few people attempt to make substantive changes but fall short. Apart from Travis, JustOff, and GMforker the pull requests are pretty rare in recent memory. Tobin made huge contributions to Tycho and still plays a role as well. And of course Moonchild makes plenty of commits of his own.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from attempting to contribute. By all means, go for it if you really want to. What I am stressing is to be realistic about it. After all, this project is the only true fork of the Mozilla codebase in recent years. It's a difficult, time-consuming endeavor.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-02, 19:40

joe04 wrote:
gracious1 wrote: You misunderstand. Sajadi was advising others to recruit new developers to help with Pale Moon & Basilisk development. And he mentioned there are "coder sites" out there, but when I asked for names he admitted he was speculating about that, and had never done so himself. (At least his BS is exposed.)
BS? I am not speculating. Just because i personally never was at such places - as already said - is not equal with "they are not around". There are tons of coding resources out there. How do you believe someone learns something? Out of pure love and air alone? No, you need tutorials, resources and other people to help you out.

I also said that one could ask on Mozilla's official irc server in the webextensions channel could ask for resources.

So, you should be careful as what you see as "BS". 8-)

Here at least 2 of them - instead of being rude, you could have found pages like that in a couple of few seconds on your own!

Last but not least - such resources should not be used for primarily try to "recruit" someone, as that would be for sure seen in many cases as unwanted advertising - but at such places one can find out at least for example a hint how to do certain tasks, and even small hints can already quite often make a difference.

https://www.codingforums.com/
https://www.thecodingforums.com/

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-12-03, 00:12

Sajadi wrote: BS? I am not speculating. Just because i personally never was at such places - as already said
Yes, that is certainly BS, especially in the context of suggesting to others what you have never done yourself and never will do. And then posting 2 quick-google links afterwards is also BS. (Good luck recruiting Pale Moon helpers there.)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-03, 00:36

joe04 wrote:Yes, that is certainly BS, especially in the context of suggesting to others what you have never done yourself and never will do.
You asked for resources and you got them. I suggest you watch out how you talk to others! Also, while i am not caring for Webextensions others do care for this technology and most likely want to see them improved. So, as this is a smaller browser project it is up to the user to help the devs with certain stuff. May it be about getting tutorials or hints from other developers for example.

But... as said, it has always to be seen in the context of interest. If someone does not care for a certain feature implementation, then why should that persons get involved in that? One wants something and want it improved and the dev has something else to do or sees that not as priority or whatever for other reasons possible.. Then the one/one's are free to do whatever can be done to improve the situation.

Delivering patches on their own, getting help from others (in whatever for a way possible) or getting even in contact with the origin people who decided to create the wanted feature in the first place.

A logical thing or isn't it? But this place has been countless of times at that point. People just demand do it and are not willing to do anything on their own for making their pet features work the way they want them to work. And if one says something the one is the one to be blamed... Now this is really clever :)

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Warning!

Unread post by satrow » 2017-12-03, 02:33

Chill out folks, play the post, NOT the poster!

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-12-03, 19:04

Sajadi wrote:this place has been countless of times at that point. People just demand do it and are not willing to do anything on their own for making their pet features work the way they want them to work. And if one says something the one is the one to be blamed... Now this is really clever :)
Valid point, and I certainly agree that some users are too demanding and quite vocal about it. That's always going to be a problem, and I understand you're trying to be helpful. I've already made my points of disagreement so won't rehash them here.

(And nice one, @satrow, made me :lol:)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-12-06, 13:58

JustOff wrote:Confirmed, I filled an Issue 198 for this.
WONTFIX.

Is there another way to make version 0.5.11 work?

A tutorial to hack that extension so I could use version 0.5.11?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-06, 18:58

Latitude wrote:A tutorial to hack that extension so I could use version 0.5.11?
Save 0.5.11 xpi, rename it to zip, extract, open file lib\ui\sdk-togglebutton-with-panel.js and change

Code: Select all

if (versionInRange(platformVersion, '30', '9999'))
to

//if (versionInRange(platformVersion, '30', '9999'))
Delete META-INF folder, zip all files back, rename to xpi.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-08, 04:55

JustOff wrote:
Latitude wrote:A tutorial to hack that extension so I could use version 0.5.11?
Save 0.5.11 xpi, rename it to zip, extract, open file lib\ui\sdk-togglebutton-with-panel.js and change

if (versionInRange(platformVersion, '30', '9999'))
to

//if (versionInRange(platformVersion, '30', '9999'))
Delete META-INF folder, zip all files back, rename to xpi.
Can this procedure be generalized to most extensions that do platform-checking ?
Delete META-INF and look through javascript files for that line?
Or is this specific to this extension?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-08, 09:36

Of course, this is extension-specific.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-12-17, 03:48

JustOff wrote:Of course, this is extension-specific.
Off-topic:
BTW, do you experience the disappearance of (modified) DBLT 0.5.11 toolbar item on Basilisk 2017.12.01?

Is there a workaround to show this item again?