Increasing problems with PM

General discussion and chat (archived)
Peano

Increasing problems with PM

Unread post by Peano » 2017-11-30, 23:42

I'm running the latest version of PM, always install updates when they're offered. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Dell Studio desktop.

I'm having increasing problems with PM that don't occur on other browsers (IE and SlimJet). For instance, on some sites, the Home and End keys will not jump the page to the top and bottom (but if I go to SlimJet, those keys works as they're supposed to). Same with the up and down arrows to scroll a page.

Here's another that just cropped up: I often upload photos to forums that use Disqus comments. Never had any problem until yesterday. When I hit Enter to upload a photo, got this error message:

It's a jpeg well under 5MB. When I switch to SlimJet, the images upload as always. Having the same problem today, and SlimJet solves it.

I like Pale Moon primarily because it works pretty much the same as the old versions of Firefox that I got used to. But I'm approaching the point where the aggravations might not be worth the candle. SlimJet works flawlessly; I think I could adapt to the differences that seem a bit strange to me right now.

I don't mean this as a rant. Just wonder if others are experiencing such difficulties with PM. It seems to be getting worse, not better.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Increasing problems with PM

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-01, 00:21

What type of add on's do you have?

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-01, 00:38

UBlock Origin is the main one, but I've had that all along and it hasn't interfered with image uploads to Disqus. I hadn't added any when this latest problem started.

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2017-12-01, 01:16

Can you offer examples of pages on which arrow/home/etc keys work properly and on where it fails?
One possiblity which might affect their behaviour is if you've accidentally enabled caret browsing. Hit F7 to make sure it's disabled

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-01, 02:18

Thank you. Hitting F7 solved the Home/End and up/down problem. I never heard of caret browsing before, so I appreciate that.

That doesn't have any effect on the image-uploading problem. Not sure what's going on there.

Thanks again.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-01, 03:51

It is possible your filter lists got updated. I would try PM in Safe Mode just to be sure.

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-01, 05:32

Thehandyman1957 wrote:It is possible your filter lists got updated. I would try PM in Safe Mode just to be sure.
Thank you. I tried it in safe mode, and pictures uploaded as they should. Then launched PM normally and disabled uBlock Origin, and they also uploaded normally. So the ad blocker is causing the problem.

SlimJet has a built-in ad blocker that doesn't interfere like this, so that's one more factor in favor of switching to SlimJet.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 07:55

Peano wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:It is possible your filter lists got updated. I would try PM in Safe Mode just to be sure.
Thank you. I tried it in safe mode, and pictures uploaded as they should. So the ad blocker is causing the problem.
To resolve this issue: First, make sure you have the latest release installed. Then, open the Dashboard and make sure your filters are up-to-date. If uBlock Origin remains a problem, then you should open an issue at ublock/assets at Github. I have found that when I have reported issues there I get a very fast response.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-12-01, 12:14

Peano wrote:Thank you. I tried it in safe mode, and pictures uploaded as they should. Then launched PM normally and disabled uBlock Origin, and they also uploaded normally. So the ad blocker is causing the problem.
Not necessarily. It's probably one of the filter lists you use that causes the issue with a recent update. Ad-blockers use filter lists, but they are not the same thing. Check with your filterlists to see which one is the cause.

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-01, 16:42

back2themoon wrote:Not necessarily. It's probably one of the filter lists you use that causes the issue with a recent update. Ad-blockers use filter lists, but they are not the same thing. Check with your filterlists to see which one is the cause.
Thanks, but I don't know what or where filterlists are.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-02, 02:02

If you click on your UBlock icon and look to the right below the big blue power button you will see either a set
of gears or sliders. Click on that.
Screenshot - 12_1_2017 , 6_57_52 PM.png
Then click on the "3rd Party filters tab.
Screenshot - 12_1_2017 , 6_58_57 PM.png
You can uncheck one at a time and try your upload till you find the offending filter.
Then just disable it and you should be good to go.

It's not PM causing this and you could have the same issue with Slimjet if it was running the same add on.
So it's not really a good comparison. ;)

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-02, 02:10

Ok, thank you very much. I will try that.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-02, 06:18

Even after you have tested the filters and found the offending one, it's still a good idea to open an issue at uBlock/uAssets at Github so people know that a filter breaks something (that way they can fix it for future releases).
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-02, 16:50

gracious1 wrote:Even after you have tested the filters and found the offending one, it's still a good idea to open an issue at uBlock/uAssets at Github so people know that a filter breaks something (that way they can fix it for future releases).
Done. Thank you.

The culprit appears to be Ads > EasyList. When I disabled that, the problem resolved.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-02-20, 18:20

F7 for Caret Browsing does nothing (Pale Moon SSE for linux). I disabled uBlock and rebooted - no change.