Why is Basilisk considered "development software"?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Donotfillintheblank

Why is Basilisk considered "development software"?

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-11-29, 23:29

In the announcement, I noticed Moonchild saying Basilisk is development software and, therefore, can be considered to be more or less beta sofware.

This means, Basilisk should be considered to be beta on a continuing basis, never actually being a stable application?

I don't have experience with coding or software development and maybe there is something I am missing I suppose. But what would be the reason for considering a piece of software as staying in an unending "beta" state?

ianas

Re: Why is Basilisk considered "development software"?

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-30, 04:50

I like to think of it as a rolling distribution ie no version number always the latest and greatest kind of like arch linux or tumbleweed
I've been using the development version of SumatraPDF for years now and it's actually better then the stable release as it has a lot of bugfixes the stable does not so it would be with Basilisk unlike Mozilla which has 3 Firefox versions daily alpha weekly beta and bimonthly stable we get a single release whose update schedule will depend on the developers

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-30, 17:09

It's considered "development software" because that is what it is.
It is an application to exercise, test and verify the development of UXP above all else. The fact that it can serve as a Firefox replacement is a big bonus ;)

As such, it will be in flux as much as the development of the platform is, and updates to its release to the public may be daily or weeks in-between, depending on the implementation of small/large features. It's indeed best compared with a "rolling release" although we won't be shoving every untested bit on code on you ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sun42

Unread post by Sun42 » 2017-12-02, 20:12

Moonchild wrote:It's considered "development software" because that is what it is.
It is an application to exercise, test and verify the development of UXP above all else. The fact that it can serve as a Firefox replacement is a big bonus ;)
Considering the rolling release / development status, wouldn't it make sense to make keep older builds around in case the most recent one has problems when used as a ff replacement? http://basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-02, 21:20

ftp://archive:get@ftp2.palemoon.org/Basilisk/
This will be updated with new versions of official releases whenever they become available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sun42

Unread post by Sun42 » 2017-12-04, 10:00

Moonchild wrote:ftp://archive:get@ftp2.palemoon.org/Basilisk/
This will be updated with new versions of official releases whenever they become available.
Thanks, imho this information should end up in the sticky post about releases.