BBC's weather video.

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

BBC's weather video.

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-11-28, 17:15

Having got Basilisk set up pretty well as I want it, I'm giving a try as the default browser (bit premature?).
There's one site that I use quite often - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ which is OK in PM but not in Basilisk. The video, UK Forecast Video, doesn't show at all. It has the heading and he date/time, but no sign of the splash screen and no Play arrow.
Any idea what I've got wrong, please?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: BBC's weather video.

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-28, 17:49

It plays ok here, and player controls are present.
Seems it requires Flash Player (for PM and Basilisk both), so maybe double-check that...?
bbc-weather-basilisk.png
I don't know what the splash screen should look like, but do get the same-looking page in both browsers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-11-28, 22:17

Try opting into HTML5: http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-29, 00:40

@satrow,
Belatedly realized that with Giraffe''s link I get redirected to the 'bbc.com' version of the weather page.

However the html5 opt-in page (your link) did not redirect me to a '.com' version. Tried changing that url to http://www.bbc.com/html5 but was redirected to .co.uk.

In any case, was still served flash on the (.com) weather page after opting in to html5 (on .co.uk) (both browsers).
After disabling the flash plugin, got error message that flash is required (both browsers):
needFlash.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-29, 03:03

bbc video's play fine for me Basilisk x64 on 7 x64
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5
says I'm using their html5 plugin and offers me to opt out
that being said plugincontainer.exe is loaded but as flash comes with a new sandbox
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil64_27_0_0_187_Plugin.exe is loaded whe I play flash video's and that exe does not load on bbc video's
right clicking on a video I get EndSlatePluginHTML 1.7.1 again it doesn't look like flash but not pure html5 eather
what OS are you using if you are on Linux to get h264 (mp4) support you need a non-restricted version of the ffmpeg libav* libraries
Basilisk just as Firefox uses windows media foundation on 7+ and ffmpeg on Linux (not sure about BSD based Mac)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-29, 03:31

Webpage looks and works fine for me using the OP's link (which as pointed out redirects to http://www.bbc.com/weather/) in Basilisk 2017.11.12 (32-bit), site looks and works identically in both Basilisk and Pale Moon 27.6.2 (32-bit) on Windows 7 (64-bit).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-29, 06:58

the bbc is a mess some video's are html5 some are flash
I disabled flash and tried again and get these screens
at http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5
video's work
but at http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ without flash I get an error screen
this is a bbc issue you need npapi flash to watch video's there
and I do belive the reason is ads bbc love injecting ads in their vido's
get flash from adobe and try again
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
as adobe loves ads don't forget to uncheck the mcafee web scanner or try this

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-29, 07:12

Both of the videos posted above work for me without any problems in Basilisk:
bbc weather vid 1 works.png
bbc weather vid 2 works.png
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-29, 07:24

^FOLLOWUP question: using this link - https://www.youtube.com/html5 what are your results?

I get this:
video browser support.png

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-29, 07:38

I don't get all I don't have MSE & WebM VP9
this is what I get on 7 x64

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-29, 07:44

did you maybe tweak something in about:config
afaik have MSE & WebM VP9 should be disabled on Gecko (Firefox) and Goanna (Basilisk) under windows there are a few preferences that can be changed to turn it on but I've only seen them on on Chromium based browsers

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-11-29, 07:57

Most of the above posts are confusing the issue. Most BBC video can be set to play in html5 - but the weather site video still plays only in flash and therefore requires flash to be enabled. It plays in both Pale Moon and Basilisk.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-11-29, 09:05

OK, to summarise from all the suggestions above:

Flash is 27.0.0.187 - always activate
Already opted in to HTML5 in both browsers
OS is W7 Pro SP1
On YouTube I get the same - all ticked
All Config settings are the same
Starting in safe mode makes no difference

aaaargh!
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-29, 10:52

Giraffe wrote:aaaargh!

Try with a clean, vanilla profile.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-11-29, 14:57

Terryphi wrote:Most of the above posts are confusing the issue. Most BBC video can be set to play in html5 - but the weather site video still plays only in flash and therefore requires flash to be enabled. It plays in both Pale Moon and Basilisk.
The BBC weather videos use HTML5 here, also the YT HTML5 page shows that both browsers support all playback methods.

Could the issue be something as simple as cookie handling or UA settings? I use 3rd party from visited and Native.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-11-30, 09:04

I use full cookies - perhaps unnecessary.
Now, UA settings: in about:config the settings for the search "usera" are the same as in Pale Moon. Unlike PM, I can't see anything in Options to change the UA Mode.

Now, as for a 'vanilla' profile I'm reluctant to do this unless I can fully restore my present one - it's taken a few hours to get everything to this stage. Safe mode doesn't help. Is it possible to do a completely separate installation, without it picking up the current profile?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 09:35

Giraffe wrote:... Now, as for a 'vanilla' profile I'm reluctant to do this unless I can fully restore my present one - it's taken a few hours to get everything to this stage. Safe mode doesn't help. Is it possible to do a completely separate installation, without it picking up the current profile?
Take a look at THIS post for creating an alternate clean profile which only takes a few minutes and you can always return to your original default profile again.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 09:49

Giraffe wrote:I use full cookies - perhaps unnecessary.....
I don't think a UA Override setting will make a difference as I don't need this and the site works for me.

You could try clearing the cookies for this website.

With the website open do the following:
Click on the bbc point out to get the screen-shot below and then click on the "More information" button
clear bbc cookies 1.png
Click on the "View Cookies" button
clear bbc cookies 2.png
and then select all the cookies for this website in the next window and then click on the "Remove Cookies" (far left) to clear the cookies for only this website.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-30, 16:22

Giraffe wrote:Now, as for a 'vanilla' profile I'm reluctant to do this unless I can fully restore my present one
You can back up your current profile by simply making a copy. Then if need arises, just copy the contents of the backup back into the original profile folder.

If it's in the standard Windows location, this would be the file path:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Basilisk\Profiles\<yourprofile>

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 16:49

When you CREATE a fresh alternative profile to test a website (using the profile manager) this does not delete the "default profile" you have been using so after using the fresh profile you create using the profile manager (as referenced HERE) you can always return to your default profile again via the profile manager and select the default that you were using before (as long as you do NOT DELETE the default profile you were using).