How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-11-27, 04:37

Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?

GMforker

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-11-27, 05:32

Latitude wrote:Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?
See Issue #1490. I think that probably the only option here is - you can suggest a better solution.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 10:36

Latitude wrote:Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?
You can't, it's been removed because it wasn't a good idea to have it in the first place.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 11:21

GMforker wrote:
See Issue #1490. I think that probably the only option here is - you can suggest a better solution.
At the moment, I can offer some workarounds:
  1. This keyboard shortcut works in GNU/Linux: Alt+F, then R. (Release Alt before hitting R.)
    This works because this kind of menu navigation is built in. It should also work in Windows. I do not whether it works in Mac OS X as well.
  2. Install one of these extensions
    • Restart Manager
      • Restart Manager uses Ctrl+Alt+R by default. You may change Alt to Shift and also change the 'R' to any other letter A-Z.
      • RM directly targets Pale Moon (you get the Blue Dot of Happiness in the Add-ons Manager.)
      • Drawback: Restart is listed twice in Menu. This does not interfere with function, but is cosmetically distracting for some.
    • Restart by Schuzak
      • Also uses Ctrl+Alt+R by default, but you may reconfigure to any combination of Ctrl, Alt, and/or Shift plus any other letter, number, or symbol
      • AMO has version 3.0.2, but 4.1.1 is availabe at the developer's site; click on Files link.
      • Same drawback as RM: two restart entries in File menu.
    • Just Restart!
      • Uses Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut. Cannot be reconfigured.
      • Needs to be installed with Moon Tester Tool
      • Duplicate entry in File menu
Since these solutions that restore Ctrl+Alt+R also add a duplicate Restart entry to File Menu, would it be possible to add a preference to PM to turn that off (remove PM's restart command from File Menu)?
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-11-27, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 πŸŒ— Apollo 11 πŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." πŸš€

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-27, 11:36

You could install the Keyconfig extension and set a shortcut of your choosing.

An additional restart button option, that I use, is a patched fork of Erik Vold's Restartless Restart, found here: https://github.com/vanowm/restartless-restart-ffext. It uses Ctrl+Alt+R, but can be changed.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-11-27, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 11:59

I won't be adding an option to pref the restart menu entry on or off just because an extension assumes it's not there. The extension in question can be made Pale Moon specific and hide it itself, to be replaced with its own version ;)

(Are you people really restarting the browser so often that you need to have it hotkeyed to a single combination? :wtf: )
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 12:09

Moonchild wrote:I won't be adding an option to pref the restart menu entry on or off just because an extension assumes it's not there.
There could be other reasons for removing the Restart entry and also other entries besides.
But I see your point. The developers wrote their extensions that way because Firefox didn't have a Restart menu entry. So I guess especially in the case of Restart Manager, which targets Pale Moon, there could be code to hide the default menu entry since PM now has one. (Would this be difficult?)
(Are you people really restarting the browser so often that you need to have it hotkeyed to a single combination?
Speaking only for myself, I prefer to do as much as possible with keyboard shortcuts. Faster than lifting hands off keyboard and dealing with mouse, touchpad, or what-have-you.
20 July 1969 πŸŒ— Apollo 11 πŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." πŸš€

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 12:13

Moonchild wrote:You can't, it's been removed because it wasn't a good idea to have it in the first place.
What kinds of problems did this cause, specifically? :?:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-27, 12:22

gracious1 wrote:Since these solutions that restore Ctrl+Alt+R also add a duplicate Restart entry to File Menu, would it be possible to add a preference to PM to turn that off (remove PM's restart command from File Menu)?
Just add this to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul") {
  #menu_restart, #appmenu_restart {
   display: none !important;
  }
}

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 12:41

JustOff wrote:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul") {
  #menu_restart, #appmenu_restart {
   display: none !important;
  }
}
That did the trick! (I used Stylish.) Thank you for your super-fast response!! :clap:

Could this code as written be incorporated into the extension? What I mean is, if I forward this to the developer of Restart Manager, would it be useful to him?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-27, 12:54

gracious1 wrote:Could this code as written be incorporated into the extension? What I mean is, if I forward this to the developer of Restart Manager, would it be useful to him?
Of course, this can be done quite easily.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-11-27, 14:50

Use Restart Browser Version 1.2.0. No duplicate "Restart" appmenu or file menu. Shortcut key continues to work in Pale Moon unstable. And, you get a toolbar button.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 16:18

gracious1 wrote:I prefer to do as much as possible with keyboard shortcuts.
Alt-F, R achieves the same, using the normal menu access key.
gracious1 wrote:What kinds of problems did this cause, specifically? :?:
2 specific things:
  1. Ctrl+Alt+R isn't possible on a number of keyboard layouts, so on those it wouldn't even be possible to be used.
  2. More importantly, people with keyboard layouts using AltGr could unintentionally trigger the restart while typing (several people reported spontaneous restarts as a result) by hitting AltGr+R. When typing using accented/special characters with AltGr and hitting this combination, the restart dialog is easily confirmed with space while typing causing unintended restarts. That's really something that should be avoided at all costs because people would be losing data that way.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-30, 10:27

JustOff wrote:Of course, this can be done quite easily.
I've been in contact with the developer. He said he's going to deal with the Restart duplication issue. (He had already planned to do that.) A new version will be released in a few days.

He expressed concern, however, that AMO would not let him publish it. I suggested Pale Moon Add-ons Site. Haven't heard a response yet.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-30, 13:50

If it's a "legacy" add-on, then AMO will likely resist further publication there.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-30, 14:26

Since Restart manager was not updated to WebExtensions yet, there will be no problem to publish new "legacy" version of it on AMO, such updates are still accepted at the moment. However hosting it on the Pale Moon Add-ons site is more reasonable, of course.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 15:06

riiis wrote:Use Restart Browser Version 1.2.0. No duplicate "Restart" appmenu or file menu. Shortcut key continues to work in Pale Moon unstable. And, you get a toolbar button.
I am sorry I left your extension out of my list. If I make this a tutorial, I'll be sure to include it. :geek:

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 15:07

The latest release (1.10) of Restart Manager is available at AMO. Duplicate menu entry fixed!
JustOff wrote: …hosting it on the Pale Moon Add-ons site is more reasonable, of course.
Here is what GMaL has told me on that subject:
As i saw, AMO will continue to host "legacy" extensions until the end of support of Firefox 52 ESR (June 2018). So, i'm thinking to not submit yet RM to PM site, because i have some plans to make it specifically for PM and maybe add some other features. This means i have to remove a lot of code, because i had designed RM to support all versions of Ffx and this way, RM will become more lightweight, robust and reliable. This also means a lot of work :-)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-01, 15:26

My rule is: don't push the dev too much 8-)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-02, 02:26

JustOff wrote:My rule is: don't push the dev too much 8-)
Yeah, I didn't. I was just sharing with you his response since I mentioned I was waiting for it.