Methods to install PM on Linux Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Methods to install PM on Linux

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-11-25, 12:28

I am running Linux antiX 17. I am wanting to install Palemoon browser.

There are two methods:
-using the Linux antiX Package installer which has version 27.6.0 (I am not aware of how often Synaptic Package Manager will update it)
-using the Palemoon Installer from the PM website which delivers the updated version 27.6.1 and enables easy updates in the future

My preference is to use the Palemoon Installer which I have used successfully in the past.
However, I am wanting advice on which method is best to use from the system point of view and future functioning. Or, is it just a personal preference and either method is equally good. Are there any advantages for one method over the other?

If I install PM using the Palemoon Installer, will it update when I update my whole system using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Methods to install PM on Linux

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-25, 13:43

As far as I know, the Pale Moon install tool is entirely manual and does not integrate with apt. So if you prefer getting updates sooner and don't mind running the update check manually, stick with the installer. If you prefer the convenience of apt and don't mind delays in getting the latest version, use the package installer.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-25, 21:03

greyowl wrote:I am running Linux antiX 17.

-using the Linux antiX Package installer which has version 27.6.0 (I am not aware of how often Synaptic Package Manager will update it)
If I install PM using the Palemoon Installer, will it update when I update my whole system using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
It isn't Synaptic Package Manager that determines when Pale Moon will be upgraded; it depends on when there is a installation candidate available from the repository.
At a Terminal window, issue this command:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy palemoon
Paste the output in your reply.

(Also, open Synaptic Package Manager and do a quick filter on "palemoon", and compare the Installed version to the latest version.)

BTW, I prefer to use a package installer (apt-get or Synaptic Package Manager). I like being able to upgrade everything with a single command.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-11-25, 21:58

Thank you for the information.

Below is the result from the terminal:

user@antix1:~
$ apt-cache policy palemoon
palemoon:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 27.6.1~repack-1mx17+1
Version table:
27.6.1~repack-1mx17+1 500
500 http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch stretch/main i386 Packages

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-25, 23:08

Hmm... So tell me exactly how you installed Pale Moon? What steps did you take?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-11-25, 23:37

Looks like they are using the MX 17 repository now as a source for certain packages, which includes Pale Moon. Those were in the MX repo a few days before they were copied or rebuilt for the antiX repo. Those packages are essentially the same as in my openSUSE Build Service repository. Both are built from the source code on a generic version of the target platform with the same build instructions. Usually the order of getting the latest version:

Pale Moon official installer.
The OBS repository.
The MX repository ( I have to build six versions on my laptop, much slower than parallel builds in the OBS cloud, then test and upload to a separate repo maintainer)
antiX repo, going by this one example.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-26, 04:05

stevepusser wrote:Looks like they are using the MX 17 repository now as a source for certain packages, which includes Pale Moon.
:?: But the output of apt-cache policy lists 27.6.1~repack-1mx17+1 as an installation candidate, without a current installation. So I don't think this user downloaded from the MX-17 repo. If it was installed from the antiX repo, then wouldn't that repack be the candidate? This is why I wanted to know exactly how it was installed.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-11-26, 12:46

gracious1 wrote:Hmm... So tell me exactly how you installed Pale Moon? What steps did you take?
I installed PM using the PM Installer from the PM website. I just opened the installer and chose "install PM-current version". I did not use the antiX repository.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-26, 20:31

greyowl wrote:I installed PM using the PM Installer from the PM website. I just opened the installer and chose "install PM-current version". I did not use the antiX repository.
Ok, so what exactly do you want at this point? Do you want to continue to use the PM installer, or do you want to install from the repository?

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-11-26, 20:35

I think I will continue use the PM Installer for now. If it gets to be inconvenient, I can uninstall it using the PM Installer and then install PM using the repository.

Thanks for the help on this issue.

I want to mark this topic as solved but the first post doesn't have an edit option.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-11-28, 15:34

there should be a checkmark button on each post (along quote, edit, etc.) go to the post with the solution and press its checkmark

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2017-11-29, 02:00

fillerup wrote:there should be a checkmark button on each post (along quote, edit, etc.) go to the post with the solution and press its checkmark
Thanks for pointing this out.