Plugins other then Flash

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

ianas

Plugins other then Flash

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-25, 03:01

I have have the Sumatrapdf browser plugin working in PaleMoon but the plugin does not work with Basilisk, other then Flash which works for me I have no other plugins to test so a question
do npapi plugins other then Flash work with Basilisk, does anybody else use a plugin other then flash, can I get the SumatraPDF browser plugin working as I really don't like pdf.js?

Smokey20

Re: Plugins other then Flash

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-11-25, 09:24

Silverlight shows up as a plugin in Basilick. Java 9 doesn't which I assume is because Mozilla got rid of it in some version after 52.5 ESR where it still works. I have no need for Silverlight but I need Java and DivX Web Player and Photo Gallery.

As for Sumatrapdf plugin, you are aware that Basilick has builtin ability to read PDFs in the browser? It is MUCH faster in loading a Samsung PDF of 77 pages than is Fx 52.5 ESR or Pale Moon 26.5.

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-25, 11:12

I never used silverlight I know Basilisk included mozilla's pdf.js but that viewer always seamed awkward to me not to mention a lot slower then SumatraPDF
but my question was does Basilisk load other npapi plugins and the answer is yes I'm not sure why it doesn't load this particular plugin when PaleMoon does
anyhow if anybody's interested a compile of the SumatraPDF plugin can be found here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcxfir ... umatraPDF/
it can be build from source but the developers dropped it some time ago and you'd need to get it from an old branch then compile it
I kept a version from when it was part of Sumatra I just update the reader

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-25, 12:10

ianas wrote:...can I get the SumatraPDF browser plugin working as I really don't like pdf.js?
I see all the same npapi plugins listed in Basilisk as in Pale Moon, including SumatraPDF Browser Plugin 2.5.2.0, and it works here as expected. Is it not listed in the Plugins section of your Add-ons Manager?

Maybe the handling preference just needs to be set.
(Tools menu) -> Options -> Applications
(or: about:preferences#applications)
sumatraPDFplugin-use.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-25, 14:41

Have you tried the plugin (both x86/x64) from PDF-XChange Editor?

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-26, 00:38

coffeebreak wrote:
ianas wrote:...can I get the SumatraPDF browser plugin working as I really don't like pdf.js?
I see all the same npapi plugins listed in Basilisk as in Pale Moon, including SumatraPDF Browser Plugin 2.5.2.0, and it works here as expected. Is it not listed in the Plugins section of your Add-ons Manager?

Maybe the handling preference just needs to be set.
(Tools menu) -> Options -> Applications
(or: about:preferences#applications)
sumatraPDFplugin-use.png
no it's not
the only thing that comes to mind is that I'm using x64 bit Basilisk and PaleMoon with x64 SumatraPDF and seeing how Basilisk forked off Firefox 5x (not sure which version) and Mozilla by default blocked all npapi plugins except Flash and Silverlight this is a bug/feature imported from Firefox I'm guessing there is some sort of plugin block that prevents plugins other then flash/silverlight from loading even the office plugin doesn't load
here are screenshot of PaleMoon/Basilisk plugins
Have you tried the plugin (both x86/x64) from PDF-XChange Editor?
as the screen shots show it's not just SumatraPDF both the MS Office and Adobe AAM plugins are not loaded this was done by design by Mozilla I guess Basilisk hasn't cleaned that bit of code as Waterfox/Cyberfox x64 can load these plugins

thedbz2k

Unread post by thedbz2k » 2017-11-28, 20:55

I don't if Basilisk back ported things to enable older plugins like java, and other plugins, but the only plugins that should be left are adobe flash. widevine, and openh264 might be listed there, but there the internal plugins.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins

"Beginning in Firefox version 52 released March 7, 2017, installed NPAPI plugins are no longer supported in Firefox, except for Adobe Flash. Some of the plugins that will no longer load in Firefox, even though they may be installed on your computer, include Java, Microsoft Silverlight and Adobe Acrobat. See this compatibility document for details. "

EDIT: oops just saw someone posted this above me oops :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-11-28, 20:59

It's being fixed.. Stay tuned...

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-29, 07:01

ianas wrote:.... does anybody else use a plugin other then flash....
First 10 plugins:
Basilisk plugins ss 1.png
remaining 5 plugins:
Basilisk plugins ss 2.png
used in Basilisk browser.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-30, 05:55

I was talking about x64 Basilisk and plugins
Mozilla never let anything other then flash and silverlight run on Firefox 64 it's been confirmed and fixed x64 plugins will work following the update on the 5th

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 07:06

ianas wrote:I was talking about x64 Basilisk and plugins...
Those are my plugins in my Basilisk browser --- notice I stated that in the last line of my post above where I posted "...used in Basilisk browser.". And as you can see the theme in the screen-shots above is of the "Compact Dark" theme that is one of the two alternative themes to the default theme that is provided in the Basilisk browser.

Oh wait, noticed the reference to the "x64" qualifier and so have struck out extraneous comments based on this, then you are saying that the 64-bit Basilisk will not have all of these plugins as opposed to my 32-bit Basilisk that does?

If so, then why is that?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-30, 23:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:It's being fixed.. Stay tuned...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-01, 00:51

No matter, I guess the "why" is not important... ;)

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-12-02, 10:42

Mahalo! I now see Java SE 9 in Basilisk plugins. :)