Recommendations for a video downloader

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Recommendations for a video downloader

Unread post by Trinoc » 2017-11-21, 15:15

Can anyone recommend a video downloader extension that does all of the following?

1. Store the original YouTube (etc.) file name, not something like file_12345678.mp4.
2. Display the lengths, types and resolutions of the files to choose.
3. Preserve the file date/time stamp rather than storing the current date/time.

I currently have three video download extensions installed but every one of them fails on at least one of the above features. They are Download Helper, Flash and Video Download and Net Video Hunter.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Recommendations for a video downloader

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-11-22, 08:21

You could try Ant Video Downloader. It gives the size of the file (sometimes more than one), changes the size offered if you set YT to a higher resolution and preserves the name. I don't know if it has the other attributes that you want, but they might be in the Options.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-22, 12:43

Common computing practice is to datestamp a downloaded file with the current time, regardless of its source, so I imagine that very few video downloaders will meet criteria #3, let alone all of them. You're probably better off settling for a downloader that satisfies #1 and #2 and using using a separate program that can edit a file's meta data to fulfill #3.

I use the ViewTube userscript for downloading youtube videos. It replaces the Youtube web player with the browser's native HTML5 player and provides some custom controls for specifying file type and resolution. All downloaded files use the video's original name as well.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-11-22, 15:22

Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber