HTML5 Video Problems Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tenseys

HTML5 Video Problems

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 10:14

So I've had an issue with CNN videos for a while which I've just ignored at this point since I don't watch them. In that issue the videos would not play - I'd get undefined error messages or can't play mime type etc. I went back to using FF ESR since it has no issues and is reasonably fast. So now I'm trying again to see if I can straighten PM out since I like how quick it is and I would like to have another good browser to rely on on my main laptop. To be honest, I still don't care so much about the CNN videos, but I've noticed some other issues that are probably related to it.

My OS is Windows 10 on Fall creators crap update, 64bit, using PM latest version 64bit.

I've noticed that though I can play videos in Youtube, they are not HD. When I go to this page on Youtube, I get this:
Capture.PNG
(I get the result above on clean out of the box fresh PM installs with no modifications done to browser other then to allow it to initially launch)

When I go to: http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

It states "no video with supported format and mime type found" in the H.264/MP4 video section.

I've tried many of the usual suggestions that I've read including clean installs with no modifications or extensions etc, checking MSE settings in options/content, trying HTML5 tuner which does nothing, and other things that i've forgotten.

I have a friend who has same exact laptop and has same exact issue.

I have a netbook with win 10, fall creators and PM works fine with no video issues.

I just now did what I think is a complete/clean uninstall of both FF and PM - wiping out the profiles and saving nothing - and reinstalled both on laptop.

My guess is that this issue has something to do with my laptop settings/configuration?

tenseys

Re: HTML5 Video Problems

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 13:47

Here is a little more thorough system information:

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version 1709 OS Build: 16299.64
Browser version: Palemoon Version 27.6,1 (64-bit)
Problem URL: N/A (youtube)
Theme: Default
Installed extensions: UO version 1.13.8
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) Adobe Flash 27.0.0.183
Laptop Model: HP-15

Here is the contents of Help->Troubleshooting information:
Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 27.6.1
Build ID: 20171114145633
Update Channel: release
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.6.1
Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (default: false)
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Name: uBlock Origin
Version: 1.13.8
Enabled: true
ID: uBlock0@raymondhill.net

Graphics
--------

Adapter Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Adapter Drivers: igdumdim64 igd10iumd64 igd10iumd64 igd12umd64 igdumdim32 igd10iumd32 igd10iumd32 igd12umd32
Adapter RAM: Unknown
Device ID: 0x0a16
Direct2D Enabled: true
DirectWrite Enabled: true (10.0.16299.15)
Driver Date: 9-29-2016
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4531
GPU #2 Active: false
GPU Accelerated Windows: 1/1 Direct3D 11 (OMTC)
Subsys ID: 2163103c
Vendor ID: 0x8086
WebGL Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
windowLayerManagerRemote: true
AzureCanvasBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureContentBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo
AzureSkiaAccelerated: 0

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max: false
browser.download.folderList: 0
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.download.useDownloadDir: true
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.search.update: false
browser.search.useDBForOrder: true
browser.startup.homepage: http://www.ighome.com
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20171114145633
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 3.4.0
browser.tabs.warnOnClose: false
browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs: false
browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled: false
browser.urlbar.suggest.bookmark: false
browser.urlbar.suggest.history: false
browser.urlbar.suggest.openpage: false
extensions.lastAppVersion: 27.6.1
gfx.direct3d.last_used_feature_level_idx: 0
image.http.accept: image/webp,image/jxr,image/png,image/*;q=0.8,*/*;q=0.5
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
network.http.speculative-parallel-limit: 0
places.database.lastMaintenance: 1511185272
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 104858
plugin.importedState: true
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.16
Version in use: 4.16

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.32.1
Version in use: 3.32.1

NSSSMIME

NSSSSL

NSSUTIL

Experimental Features
---------------------
Note: With the HP netbook that I mentioned in first post that PM works fine on, that youtube HTML5 test page displays just like it does in FF ESR - everything is checked except for the last one - MSE and WEBm VP9. Which in my understanding is the way it should be. Also, on the link that shows the different video formats, H.264/MP4 works fine. And CNN videos also work fine. This is with no modifications to PM on the netbook to try and make it work. It just works.

Looking at the troubleshooting in the netbook, I don't see much difference.

Another thing I tried is I created another user account on the laptop and PM on that behaves the same way.

I'm going to try an older video driver and see if that helps. That did not help.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-11-20, 19:57

Hi,

try the tip that you will find here, please :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16453#p125048
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 20:16

Nightbird wrote:Hi,

try the tip that you will find here :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16453#p125048

Hi Nightbird.

I saw that thread earlier and I tried searching for HEVC extension in that settings area and nothing came up for HEVC.

I just tried to search for it again - and this time I capitalized the search term HEVC - not sure if I did that the first time I searched - and I found HEVCVideoExtension and uninstalled it.

YES, now PM works good. CNN videos work.

Here is the Youtube html5 player page:
new.PNG
CNN videos now work flawlessly (I don't remember the last time they worked):
new2.PNG
Also, youtube videos are now offered in HD.

Have to read up on HEVC extensions. Thank you very much Nightbird and to the people in that other thread. Appreciate it.
Last edited by tenseys on 2017-11-20, 21:27, edited 6 times in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 20:28

In case anyone is wondering, at least for me and some others in another thread, certain issues with HTML5 in Windows 10 were resolved by going into Windows 10 Settings/Apps/Apps and Features (Apps opens into Apps and Features) and then doing a search for HEVC - It will bring up HEVCVideoExtension - and uninstalling it.
Capture.PNG
For me the issues this fixed:

1. CNN videos would not play and instead gave mime and undefined error messages
2. Youtube videos were not offered in HD or apparently anything above 360p.
3. If i went to the html5 player link here: https://www.youtube.com/html5, H.264 and MSE & H.264 were redded out
4. At this link, http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html, the H.264/MP4 video did not load and I got the mime error message.

Everything is working now.

Thanks again to Nightbird and the people in this thread.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 21:35

Interestingly, on the hp netbook that also has windows 10 home fall creators on it that has never had video issues with PM, there is no HEVCVideoExtension installed.

And sure enough, on my friends laptop with the same problem, he has the HEVCVideoExtension installed. I just uninstalled it and now his PM is flawless.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 22:10

About the HEVCVideoExtension from Microsoft:
The HEVC Video Extension enables compatible Windows 10 devices to play video using the HEVC format in any app, including 4K and Ultra HD content. Compatible devices support HEVC in hardware, including Intel 7th Generation Core processors and other modern GPUs. If you are not using a compatible device, this extension will have no effect on your Windows 10 video experience.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... 4wgh0z6vhq

No effect huh?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-11-20, 22:36

Off-topic:
tenseys wrote:No effect huh?
Please refrain from Double Posting, in this case it is Triple Posting.
The Windows 10 update situation came out of nowhere, it wasn't expected(Well, it was expected that problems can arise from Updates, that's typical), so the video experience is not affected in the Windows Ecosystem, as what they are referring to. This is different than Pale Moon's methods, it might mostly apply to their EDGE browser and/or IE.
My laptop barely got the Spring Update a week before the Fall Update. My desktop got it, and no problems with videos and searching didn't find HEVC in the "Apps & features," didn't find HEVC on my laptop, either.

Odd, I got both 1709 on my laptop and desktop, so the laptop got a gift without my knowing. It's better to have it than to await it, I guess.

Well, I have to admit that I use K-Lite Codec Pack and they might intervene with the Microsoft Codecs, I do remember being asked to close Oblivion during an installation of a Codec Pack update.
Then again, if a company/developer/anyone says that "No problems with anything," it's never 100% certain.

pmBill

Unread post by pmBill » 2017-11-21, 02:52

megaman wrote:
Off-topic:
tenseys wrote:No effect huh?
Please refrain from Double Posting, in this case it is Triple Posting.
The Windows 10 update situation came out of nowhere, it wasn't expected(Well, it was expected that problems can arise from Updates, that's typical), so the video experience is not affected in the Windows Ecosystem, as what they are referring to. This is different than Pale Moon's methods, it might mostly apply to their EDGE browser and/or IE.
My laptop barely got the Spring Update a week before the Fall Update. My desktop got it, and no problems with videos and searching didn't find HEVC in the "Apps & features," didn't find HEVC on my laptop, either.

Odd, I got both 1709 on my laptop and desktop, so the laptop got a gift without my knowing. It's better to have it than to await it, I guess.

Well, I have to admit that I use K-Lite Codec Pack and they might intervene with the Microsoft Codecs, I do remember being asked to close Oblivion during an installation of a Codec Pack update.
Then again, if a company/developer/anyone says that "No problems with anything," it's never 100% certain.
I also didn't show HVEC with searches like above. I do find a lot of filenames with HVEC when I did a system filename search.
But some were from way back in 2016 with some other product.
I also had installed the K-Lite Codec Pack and update, but uninstalling it and rebooting did nothing.
(I forget what product suggested I install that 'product')

Operating system:
Name: Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit edition
Version: 10.0
Platform: 64-bit system
CPU features: sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 avx avx2 aes pclmulqdq rdrnd bmi2 bmi2 adx

Updated up-to-date.

PM 27.6.1 32-bit

I'm also trying to get help here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17163&p=127767#p127767

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-21, 04:44

pmBill wrote:
I also didn't show HVEC with searches like above. I do find a lot of filenames with HVEC when I did a system filename search.
But some were from way back in 2016 with some other product.
I also had installed the K-Lite Codec Pack and update, but uninstalling it and rebooting did nothing.
(I forget what product suggested I install that 'product')

Operating system:
Name: Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit edition
Version: 10.0
Platform: 64-bit system
CPU features: sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 avx avx2 aes pclmulqdq rdrnd bmi2 bmi2 adx

Updated up-to-date.

PM 27.6.1 32-bit

I'm also trying to get help here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17163&p=127767#p127767

It's HEVC not HVEC. Perhaps you are just misspelling it in your post but I think I may have first searched for it misspelled like that the first time I missed it in Settings/Apps. Easy to do and I mention it just in case.

Also, in that other thread I think some people mention MPEG2 Video Extension as another one possibly being problematic though i did not find this extension on my system in Settings/Apps. Perhaps it was on my system earlier causing problems.

I definitely will be watching a little more closely what gets installed and when especially after feature updates. Meanwhile I'm making sure I leave auto updates in the Store off.

This issue with videos not working correctly on PM for me is relatively old.. I don't think it has ever worked totally right on Windows 10 (anniversary addition and possibly earlier) for me on this laptop (and a friends). So this is the first fix that not only really did something, but actually fixed every single problem I've had with PM in one instant shot.

In general, I have found Windows 10 to be a pretty buggy and ugly OS (and an epic disaster as Windows 10 Mobile as one who used a Windows Phone). I prefer any earlier Windows OS over it. I think I've always felt that the issue had something to do with Windows 10 given my experience with other aspects of the OS and things that did not work right like certain notifications and settings that would change and just straight up bugdom. I don't even have anywhere near the hardware for this extension so I don't think it should have been on my machine in the first place just like it wasn't on the netbook which I've always kept up to date and on the latest feature update.

This was a very frustrating and very time consuming problem to troubleshoot. I don't know how many clean installs of PM and FF I've done over the months. Many many hours of trying this and that and going down wrong roads. I even considered a windows 10 reset/clean install. I would just give up and go back to FF 56 or ESR. But then I'd come back for another go around out of boredom or when a new PM version came out since I like PM.

And the solution once known was completed in one second.

Anyway, good luck with getting your PM/video issue fixed.

rrsportsc
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by rrsportsc » 2017-11-22, 16:08

Had the same issue on Windows10 desktop & HP laptop..

Desktop uninstalled HEVC -- fixed it

HP laptop didn't have HEVC installed, but all browsers had H.264 problem. Installed KB4039813 ( Media Feature Pack ) -- fixed it
This all happened after latest Windows10 update ( Nov 2017 )

pmBill

Unread post by pmBill » 2017-11-22, 18:46

rrsportsc wrote:Had the same issue on Windows10 desktop & HP laptop..

HP laptop didn't have HEVC installed, but all browsers had H.264 problem. Installed KB4039813 ( Media Feature Pack ) -- fixed it
I don't see any way to uninstall HEVC. (yeah, I mistyped it above)

I checked to see if I had KB4039813 installed, and I don't.
I'm pretty sure I don't have Windows 10 N, whatever that is, which is probably why that is not installed.

These are all of the files with HEVC in the nsame:

Code: Select all

nvencmfthevcx.dl_                                                                                    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\Display.Driver.{94C36A83-3404-474C-A6DE-9956DF6E6B03}\
nvencmfthevc.dl_                                                                                     C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\Display.Driver.{94C36A83-3404-474C-A6DE-9956DF6E6B03}\
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdd.inf_amd64_ab267e0879d39e07\                      
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdd.inf_amd64_ab267e0879d39e07\                      
wow64_multimedia-hevcdecoder.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_en-us_19e447e766ead2d3          C:\Windows\WinSxS\                                                                                   
amd64_multimedia-hevcdecoder.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_en-us_0f8f9d95328a10d8          C:\Windows\WinSxS\                                                                                   
wow64_multimedia-hevcdecoder.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_en-us_19e447e766ead2d3.manifest C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\                                                                         
amd64_multimedia-hevcdecoder.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_en-us_0f8f9d95328a10d8.manifest C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\                                                                         
hevcdecoder.dll.mui                                                                                  C:\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_multimedia-hevcdecoder.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_en-us_19e447e7
hevcdecoder.dll.mui                                                                                  C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_multimedia-hevcdecoder.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_en-us_0f8f9d95
hevcdecoder.dll.mui                                                                                  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US\                                                                           
hevcdecoder.dll.mui                                                                                  C:\Windows\System32\en-US\                                                                           
wow64_multimedia-hevcdecoder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_4384837bdf1c33fa                     C:\Windows\WinSxS\                                                                                   
hevcdecoder.dll                                                                                      C:\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_multimedia-hevcdecoder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_4384837bdf1c33fa\  
hevcdecoder.dll                                                                                      C:\Windows\SysWOW64\                                                                                 
amd64_multimedia-hevcdecoder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_392fd929aabb71ff                     C:\Windows\WinSxS\                                                                                   
hevcdecoder.dll                                                                                      C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_multimedia-hevcdecoder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_392fd929aabb71ff\  
hevcdecoder.dll                                                                                      C:\Windows\System32\                                                                                 
wow64_multimedia-hevcdecoder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_4384837bdf1c33fa.manifest            C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\                                                                         
amd64_multimedia-hevcdecoder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_392fd929aabb71ff.manifest            C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\                                                                         
producebtn_HEVC.png                                                                                  C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\CyberLink Media Suite\PowerDirector14\skin\192dpi\Produce\          
producebtn_HEVC.png                                                                                  C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\CyberLink Media Suite\PowerDirector14\skin\1024x768\Produce\        
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdd.inf_amd64_092767190928030a\                      
nvencmfthevcx.dl_                                                                                    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\Display.Driver.{09449508-D6F2-4ECF-931C-4E174F45AB20}\
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdd.inf_amd64_092767190928030a\                      
nvencmfthevc.dl_                                                                                     C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\Display.Driver.{09449508-D6F2-4ECF-931C-4E174F45AB20}\
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvsawu.inf_amd64_f3d04fce1a45ac4d\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvrfwu.inf_amd64_b582cc73c800d883\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvpcdwu.inf_amd64_995a4ef70644e93e\                   
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmowu.inf_amd64_a9c3add7483ca8dd\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdwu.inf_amd64_23497e917e45e09d\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlewu.inf_amd64_defb74c702088bff\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdcwu.inf_amd64_16f6c9b501baeb7d\                   
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvgbdwu.inf_amd64_1b654b80f9cb6b46\                   
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvddwu.inf_amd64_22a22f778ced373c\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvakwu.inf_amd64_54baefc149b8c1ad\                    
nvEncMFThevcx.dll                                                                                    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8cbfa7509ac4e6cb\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvsawu.inf_amd64_f3d04fce1a45ac4d\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvrfwu.inf_amd64_b582cc73c800d883\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvpcdwu.inf_amd64_995a4ef70644e93e\                   
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmowu.inf_amd64_a9c3add7483ca8dd\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdwu.inf_amd64_23497e917e45e09d\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlewu.inf_amd64_defb74c702088bff\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdcwu.inf_amd64_16f6c9b501baeb7d\                   
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvgbdwu.inf_amd64_1b654b80f9cb6b46\                   
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvddwu.inf_amd64_22a22f778ced373c\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvakwu.inf_amd64_54baefc149b8c1ad\                    
nvEncMFThevc.dll                                                                                     C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8cbfa7509ac4e6cb\                    

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-22, 21:42

pmBill wrote:
These are all of the files with HEVC in the nsame:...
Do you have this one installed?:
Capture.PNG
I can confirm MPEG2VideoExtension causes the same problem. Uninstall (click on it) to fix.

rrsportsc
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by rrsportsc » 2017-11-22, 23:38

rrsportsc wrote:Had the same issue on Windows10 Home desktop & HP Windows10 Pro N laptop..