Basilisk has DRM option

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Terryphi

Basilisk has DRM option

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-11-17, 14:44

I am glad to see that Basilisk has DRM option which allows me to view Amazon Video.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Basilisk has DRM option

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 18:25

Basilisk's first release is close to Firefox on purpose and exercising as much of the platform features as reasonable without interfering with development, including EME, WebRTC, and other things you won't find in Pale Moon.

Whether this will remain in the default builds or not remains to be decided. In-browser DRM certainly doesn't cater to a healthy, neutral net[1], so it'll probably be disabled at build time soon (sorry to disappoint you). but it's important to keep in Basilisk (as a development vessel for the platform which is bigger than one application) to make sure EME components work and keep working as the platform matures -- thinking larger, it may be a platform that a dedicated EME/DRM-enabled streaming player can be built upon, for example.

People expecting EME/DRM when they come from Firefox to Basilisk as a replacement will certainly be able to appreciate it, I'm sure.

[1]If you really want DRM to stay out of web clients, you should get involved with others and file formal complaints with the W3C about it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2017-11-18, 00:34

Moonchild wrote:[1]If you really want DRM to stay out of web clients, you should get involved with others and file formal complaints with the W3C about it.
Come on, that's ridiculous. Besides, the FSF is already at it. Also, about 90% of all web surfers have no clue about general safety on the internet and I don't want to fight them all. They can have it if they want, provided that I am not forced to use it, so:

Can I switch it off? That's all I'd need.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-11-18, 01:08

tlaloc77 wrote:Can I switch it off? That's all I'd need.
It is switched off by default in Basilisk. about:preferences > Content > Play DRM content.

If you want you can always build without it. Which is what will happen for Pale Moon when it gets ported to UXP. It will be built without it. Seeing as Pale Moon doesn't have the UI bits to support it anyway and of course the overwhelming opinion and desire of the Pale Moon userbase. Basilisk has no such userbase and the target users besides those wanting to see what the platform can do will be Firefox users escaping servo and forced webextensions but want the more "modern" way of doing things..

Look at it this way: Basilisk can be a backup browser to Pale Moon users that supports EME (if enabled in preferences) when that becomes more widespread.. And it will if everyone doesn't make an individual effort to stop it.

The bottom line IS that this firmly expresses the flexibility and potential of the Unified XUL Platform.. The Applications that can be built with it need not have to have everything all the others do.. EME is one of those things Pale Moon doesn't want but Basilisk users might or some other UXP application might as Moonchild said... Think about this as well.. What if Waterfox wanted to use UXP obviously THEY would want EME and SeaMonkey as well.. OR if Thunderbird came to us or we resurrected FossaMail which has NO reason to need EME..

There are always options and needs that outweigh one person's opinion.. And THAT is what the UXP will allow for.. Also, like i said.. In Basilisk it is disabled by default AND you can always just compile from source without the EME components.

The FINAL solution of course is to make it clear to these organizations that control specifications and websites that use DRM that it is not acceptable.. If enough people are educated and tell them not to then the question of EME will sort its self out.. Otherwise... Meh..

Peace!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-18, 11:58

Thanks, Tobin, for more clearly stating what I wasn't able to do myself.

Basilisk comes with the feature present, but not enabled by default -- if you want to enable it, then that is your (opt-in) choice (Options -> Content -> Play DRM content). Even if enabled, the default configuration will be to always confirm before downloading a CDM, so you should at all times know when the black-box DRM code is being grabbed and used.

As a side note on development of this feature: In line with the general undesirability of DRM for most XUL applications, the default when building UXP will be switched to "don't build unless configured". These are things that simply fall into normal design decisions. EME is no different than any of the other feature in the platform that can configured to either be included or not, depending on the need of the application built on top of it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2017-11-18, 16:56

Thank you very much for explaining these details, Tobin!
Moonchild wrote: Even if enabled, the default configuration will be to always confirm before downloading a CDM, so you should at all times know when the black-box DRM code is being grabbed and used.
Phew, thanks - that eliminates my worries :)
Moonchild wrote:... EME is no different than any of the other feature in the platform that can configured to either be included or not, depending on the need of the application built on top of it.
Great!
This general standpoint was my first reason to use Pale Moon. When I read that PM will become an application of the same platform as Basilisk (hope I got that correct, I cannot find the nice graphic explaining it now), and that Basilisk is about to replace PM at some point in the future, I got a bit worried...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-19, 00:56

tlaloc77 wrote:When I read that PM will become an application of the same platform as Basilisk (hope I got that correct, I cannot find the nice graphic explaining it now), and that Basilisk is about to replace PM at some point in the future, I got a bit worried...
Once more with feeling:
Basilisk is NOT a replacement for Pale Moon. It never will be.

How is it that even WITH the graphical explanation of System level vs. platform level vs. application level, people still don't understand that the whole of that is not a single unit?
Is it really so hard to grasp?

Level 1: system (Windows, Linux, Mac, ...)
Level 2: platform (Mozilla, "Tycho", UXP)
Level 3: application (Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox, Thunderbird, ...)

Old Pale Moon = system + Mozilla + Pale Moon

Current Pale Moon = system + Tycho + Pale Moon
FossaMail = system + Tycho + FossaMail
-> Pale Moon and FossaMail use the same platform, but aren't replacing one and other.

Current Firefox = system + Mozilla + Firefox
Current Thunderbird = system + Mozilla + Thunderbird
-> Same here

Current Basilisk = system + UXP + Basilisk
Future Pale Moon = system + UXP + Pale Moon
-> UXP will be a replacement for Tycho. The application (Pale Moon) remains the same.

Is it clear now? If not, then I really give up as I can obviously NOT explain it in an understandable way.

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2017-11-19, 18:24

Moonchild wrote:Is it clear now? If not, then I really give up as I can obviously NOT explain it in an understandable way.
OK, OK, I think I got it now :D Thanks for trying again.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-29, 06:51

Moonchild wrote:Level 1: system (Windows, Linux, Mac, ...)
Level 2: platform (Mozilla, "Tycho", UXP)
Level 3: application (Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox, Thunderbird, ...)

Old Pale Moon = system + Mozilla + Pale Moon
Current Pale Moon = system + Tycho + Pale Moon
Current Basilisk = system + UXP + Basilisk
Future Pale Moon = system + UXP + Pale Moon

Current Firefox = system + Mozilla + Firefox
Current Thunderbird = system + Mozilla + Thunderbird
That is very clear.

So is Firefox Quantum still on the same Mozilla platform, or does it have a new name? At first I thought Quantum referred to the new platform, but apparently it refers to the layout/rendering engine, and so replaces Gecko. (Just as Goanna replaces Gecko in PM & Basilisk.)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-29, 09:07

Firefox Quantum is no longer on the same Mozilla platform, because the Mozilla platform is being replaced by Firefox-specific components piece by piece. Firefox Quantum (57+) will be moving away from having a platform, because there is only one product (Firefox) and there is no need to keep a platform that caters to other applications. So it breaks with the entire concept because replaced components will only serve one application and therefore is no longer a platform. There's only one thing: Firefox. Only the one application on code that only caters to that one application. At least that is my understanding of what MozCo is doing with Firefox and mozilla-central.