Many of the frustrated Firefox users...

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Alqaszar

Many of the frustrated Firefox users...

Unread post by Alqaszar » 2017-11-01, 19:17

...who still want or need the old add-on type will find themselves with Pale Moon. I'm certainly one of them, and I've already switched over.

I don't want to talk about how Firefox is actally committing suicide, I'm here because I'm glad that there is an alternative. So thank you!

However, the chaos Firefox created with the new add-on type runs much deeper. Of course, many of the devs who have created good add-ons in the past (e. g. Tab Mix Plus, Bamboo reader....), are fed up and don't want to fix something they didn't break, so many useful extensions just won't work with FF57+. Switching to Pale Moon fixes tzhat, but at the same time creates the new problem that some updated add-ons won't work properly, lest using older versions.

The question is: Can Pale Moon be brought into a state that all add-ons run, despite their age or type? I have no idea wether this is possible in the first place, or how much work that would require.

But that would be a great thing, and make Pale Moon the first choice for FF refugees.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Many of the frustrated Firefox users...

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-11-03, 02:05

Alqaszar wrote:
The question is: Can Pale Moon be brought into a state that all add-ons run, despite their age or type? I have no idea wether this is possible in the first place, or how much work that would require.
First off, welcome to Pale Moon. :thumbup: I can't really answer your question other than to say, if that were possible, it probably would already be implemented. Our best bet as PM users is to contact extension developers and ask them to directly support Pale Moon. Or for those who have the know how, to fork those that don't work quite right (or at all).

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11385

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-11-03, 02:40

If not already, have a look here: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/, for potential replacements. Also, please read some general background behind known incompatible add-ons with Pale Moon: https://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

ELFswe

Unread post by ELFswe » 2017-11-15, 20:23

Have just done a fresh install of Windows on a bigger and better ssd and tasted some puke in my mouth when I installed FF 57. So I went straight for Pale Moon and uninstalled FF. Might install it again as a fallback if some website just sais no and to use Video DownloadHelper. Currently missing Noscript wich will get an update any day now and also Classic Theme Restorer.

I can't understand why the devteam is doing this. The addons is what made Firefox so extremely powerful. Who knows, maybe they're aiming at adding even more features from the most popular addons, Firebug as a good example. I hope they're going for a feature rich browser as they're slowly dropping the addon support.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-15, 21:01

ELFswe wrote:Currently missing Noscript wich will get an update any day now and also Classic Theme Restorer.
NoScript v5.0.6 is available from the Pale Moon add-ons site and is compatible with the latest PM releases. You shouldn't need CTR since Pale Moon already has most of the features that CTR restored to Firefox. ;)
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-11-15, 21:20

The last NS version (5.15) works without problem.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

lgriffith

Unread post by lgriffith » 2017-11-26, 16:25

I am a recent frustrated long time Firefox user. Their version 57 is the end of the line for me. I am displeased with their tendency to fix things that are not broken.

Switching to Pale Moon has been a pleasure and a simplification of what I had to do to make Firefox work for me.

My only suggestion at this point is stick with the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" rule. Change simply for the sake of change hardly ever works out as expected.

Many thanks to the Pale Moon development team. Keep up the good work. :D