High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-09-16, 09:54

Pale Moon rises to about 50% CPU when the focused tab is https://palemoon.start.me/start

Tested on a fresh/clean PM 27.4.2 (32 bit) profile.
I tried to find a workaround. I installed uBlock Origin but it didn't help.
No issues on other browsers I checked.
Win 7 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-16, 16:46

I'm presuming you are talking about the URL: https://palemoon.start.me/start being the active tab.

That's very interesting, what I get for Pale Moon 27.4.2 (32-bit) ranges quite a bit. Monitoring for a couple of minutes I get a CPU usage range of 29%-73% generally with momentary transient peaks of 80%-100% occasionally.

Is your CPU usage always above 50%? (I cannot confirm this, but the momentary peaks are perhaps curious).

When I check my own start.me page the CPU usage ranges between 19-35% so much more "normal" so to speak (generally various tabs will range between 1-31%).

Why the generic start.me page acts a bit different seems admittedly odd.

Compared to FF for that link you posted I get after monitoring for a couple of minutes 26-43% with a couple of peaks from 60-70% so not quite as much CPU usage as Pale Moon for whatever reason but then not that far off either. My own start.me page ranges 24-45% with no peaks above 50% in FF.

Compared also to IE11 - range is 36-44% (and about the same with my own start.me page).

What are you using to measure CPU usage?

I'm using the Windows Resource Monitor.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-09-16, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-09-16, 17:03

Using Process Explorer I don't really see any appreciable difference in CPU Usage between the specific browsers regarding Pale Moon and FF on either my own start.me URL or the generic start.me page you posted with both browsers ranging around 12-18% CPU usage in general for these two sites. So I'm not sure what accounts for the increase in over all Computer CPU usage.

Returning to the Resource Monitor and comparing once again my own start.me page and the link posted by OP, I'm not seeing as much volatility on CPU usage as I did before and not as much difference between the two pages --- so while the generic start.me page does show some minimal increase at times in CPU usage the variance would suggest perhaps the difference is not really as significant as I first thought.

If you are staying above 50% CPU usage all the time then that's one thing, but I'm getting wide ranges over time that do drop significantly below 50% CPU usage much of the time.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-16, 20:48

Not sure why you'd be seeing high CPU usage on the start portal. Once loaded, the CPU usage of that site is a normal idle level for me.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-09-16, 21:03

I get about 5-10 on start.me, mostly 0 on other websites on idle. Firefox as well, Edge/IE are ok. Something could be going on.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-17, 00:59

Using devtools' performance tool it seems to be a constant recalculation of the page style. I've sent my tech contact at start.me a message asking about it. Might be overzealous responsive design.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ambivalence

Unread post by ambivalence » 2017-09-21, 15:18

Is it ok that palemoon consumes ≈25% of 6-core CPU on average? It heats it up to 50C with watercooling, but I've normally got these temps rendering video (≈55-58С is max for this CPU).

ambivalence

Unread post by ambivalence » 2017-09-21, 17:42

upd: I notice that it's especially true while watching some pics @ vk.com.

≈ 13% idle, one page loaded (this thread). Is it okay? It actually consumes power doing nothing; ≈1% using clean profile. What tool should I use to track the powerleak?

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2017-09-22, 03:52

ambivalence wrote:Is it ok that palemoon consumes ≈25% of 6-core CPU on average? It heats it up to 50C with watercooling, but I've normally got these temps rendering video (≈55-58С is max for this CPU).
Not seeing this here with my 6-core 5820k CPU on Windows 10. What extensions are you using?

ambivalence

Unread post by ambivalence » 2017-10-24, 20:07

Watching albums on vk.com loads up my 5820k up to 45% and more. Overclocked it can draw about 200wt working like this. Very annoying. Addons:
Attachments
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-11-09, 22:48

Moonchild wrote:Using devtools' performance tool it seems to be a constant recalculation of the page style. I've sent my tech contact at start.me a message asking about it. Might be overzealous responsive design.
Have you got an answer from them ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-09, 22:57

There doesn't seem to be an issue on the page. I'm seeing at most 5% CPU in my full/busy session when having the page open.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-09, 23:12

Problem remains here. CPU usage goes from 0-1 to 8% when https://palemoon.start.me/start is focused.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-10, 00:02

Is it restrictive? is it causing issues? If not, then just take it as "you're looking at a web application that takes processing power" because that's what the portal it -- it's not a static page. Also, I've made heavy use of transparency which can bump the CPU a bit if you don't have full acceleration.

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-11-11, 00:30

Moonchild wrote:... Also, I've made heavy use of transparency which can bump the CPU a bit if you don't have full acceleration.
What do you mean by "full acceleration" ? Are you asking if my Hardware Acceleration checkbox is ON ? If so, the answer is yes.
Moonchild wrote:There doesn't seem to be an issue on the page. I'm seeing at most 5% CPU in my full/busy session when having the page open.
As I reported in my opening post in September I'm testing it on a clean profile. Can you test it also in a clean profile because maybe you get a low CPU as a result of using some addons. (BTW I tried also to install uBO ad blocker but it didn't help).

No change since I reported it in September - about 40% Kernel CPU.
Again, no issues on other browsers.

On other pages Pale Moon CPU is low and about 5-10%
I have 2 more sites which behaves exactly (about 40% Kernel CPU) as https://palemoon.start.me/start :

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-does-your-microwave-oven-mess-with-the-wi-fi-connec-1666117933

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ram-boosters-task-killers-bad-android/

my specs are.
pale Moon 27.6.0 (32 bit)
Win 7 x64

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-11, 00:43

I notice you have quite a lot of extensions installed.Could one of these be a contributing factor perhaps.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-11-11, 01:48

Moonraker wrote:I notice you have quite a lot of extensions installed.Could one of these be a contributing factor perhaps.?
What ??? I emphasized that my reports are on a CLEAN/FRESH profile (No addons at all).

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-11, 01:57

LL25255252 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I notice you have quite a lot of extensions installed.Could one of these be a contributing factor perhaps.?
What ??? I emphasized that my reports are on a CLEAN/FRESH profile (No addons at all).
my apologies.
tired eyes here.(1am.). :oops:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-11, 03:03

back2themoon wrote:Problem remains here. CPU usage goes from 0-1 to 8% when https://palemoon.start.me/start is focused.
I'm currently noticing a significant difference from basically negligible when start.me tab does not have focus to 22-24% when start.me tab does have focus. :shock: This result is not restrictive however.

Addendum: basically same thing exiting/restarting Pale Moon (after start.me load completed). My start.me start-page includes 7 pages, so..... :think:

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-08, 17:24

Bump.

What I'm seeing is high CPU on start.me - regardless of browser, regardless of "whose" start page it is.

https://palemoon.start.me/start
https://cjcted.start.me/
https://mozaiek.start.me/