Can i volunteer to translate Pale Moon into PT/BR?

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Kafshiel

Can i volunteer to translate Pale Moon into PT/BR?

Unread post by Kafshiel » 2013-03-07, 18:22

Hello!

I'm a registered user of Pale Moon which i use for 1 month now & i just love it! It's so much faster than Firefox and i found out that the bookmarks now work as i wanted them to behave & in FF that wasn't the case! I think that Pale Moon deserves to be wide-world distributed and has to grow more famous!!! I discovered it on Majorgeeks! I'm now testing the MailNews 16.0.1 because Thunderbird is also a little bit slow for my taste!
But anyway i would like to offer to translate Pale Moon into Portuguese (Brazilian also) because i have Portuguese and Brazilian friends that would use it pronto if it was on PT/BR... I've searched the Forum but found nothing about how to contribute in translating Pale Moon (and MailNews) just an old post in Portuguese from 2011...
I didn't asked to join the Developer's group because i think it's more aimed at programing and code so i would like to know how i can contribute to Translation because this browser deserves that effort! So if you think this is worth your attention then drop me a line here or to :arrow: kafshiel@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot for reading this and thanks for this amazing browser!
My best regards!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can i volunteer to translate Pale Moon into PT/BR?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-07, 21:41

Thanks for your offer! Pale Moon already has a fully completed pt-BR language pack available at http://www.palemoon.org/langpacks.shtml so it's not needed at this time. You can, if you want to, help with a Portuguese translation of the Status Bar options that are still lacking this language. If you're interested in that, let me know.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kafshiel

Unread post by Kafshiel » 2013-03-08, 18:24

Thanks for your response! I'll inform my friends that the language pack is available and will provide them the link to download it. As for translating the Options bar i'll be very glad to do it so if you want, just tell me what to do (formats for text, etc). I'll always provide both English original and PT/BR translation, in this the PT/BR standard will be used in a "neutral manner" meaning that the translation will be completely comfortable for both PT/BR users & will comply with both countries orthographic & grammar international agreements.
Just drop me a line and give me the instructions how to do it and i'll get to work right away! It's a pleasure to give back some work for something as valuable as your browser & mail client is! I'll translate Mailnews options/menu bars also if you want.
For the record i'm bilingual since i was 12 years old so i tend to use English for all my programs just for the sake of simplicity but i have also a degree in Portuguese Literature and also speak/write Spanish & French I worked as a text reviewer & english to portuguese translator for years in Edições Asa, a national book publishing/editor company so you'll get the best translation available!
Again thank you for this wonderful browser! Today i saw the results of the voting at About.com & Pale Moon is way ahead with 44% of the total votes! It's already a winner!!!
My best cumpliments!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-08, 22:47

Attached to this post are the necessary files for translation (in en-US).
The .properties files should have the text after the equal signs translated, items before the equal sign should not be touched.
The .dtd files should have the text in quotes translated, and everything else should not be touched.
Of course it's preferable if you can keep the length of the translated strings somewhat the same.

Make sure to save the resulting files as UTF-8! This is very important.

As for MailNews, you can use the Mozilla supplied language packs for thunderbird of the same version to get it in your local language. it may refer to the program as "Thunderbird" in that case, but that's just cosmetic.

If possible, if you could have the translation done by tomorrow, I can include it in the upcoming point release. If not, it will be included in the next version.
Attachments
palemoon-statusbar-locale-en-US.zip
en-US locale files for the status bar
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Kafshiel

Unread post by Kafshiel » 2013-03-09, 07:30

Hi Moonchild!

I'm happy to report that i've completed the translation work for all the files you've sent me so i hope you can include them in the update for today! To make absolutely sure they were converted using a dedicated UTF-8 converter so they should be fine and compressed using WinRar as Zip. Also the relevant dtd & properties names were added before the .txt extension so to make it easy for you to sort them out I didn't rename them to .dtd .properties, because this way you can open them faster to check them out. I reviewed all 3 times (this is an important Project!) Don't be surprised of the word "Editor" being the same in PT/BR as is in English! It is...
The not so cool thing about PT/BR is that is not possible at all to shorten the translation as to fit the original strings... Believe me i've tried to keep it short and simple but that's as short ;) as it gets! Portuguese is like that & it's probably why i love English so much! As a technical language it's unbeatable! I also wrote short stories and poetry in English so i'm in love with it since i was a kid but to keep the translation clear it must be translated as i did... The other not so cool thing about PT is that it uses special characters as "ç" "ã" "õ" "à" a lot so i hope UTF-8 cures this crap all the way... Although i'm Portuguese i see this as a technical obstacle... but they work in HTML so they should work fine for you! I'll keep the original files & the translated ones so as to keep tags on future works that you might ask from me or to perform some corrections that you might want. Some words could be kept in EN like "downloads", "links", "urls", but the problem is that in both countries many people are still unable to understand them! I know this because i work with old people teaching computer basics as a volunteer...
Well hope you like my work and it is signed as Nui Parishi because that's my Web name even in Portugal (no special characters) and if you want you can friend me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NuiParishi
May the Pale Moon new update be another big success! See you soon!
Attachments
Pale Moon PT-BR UTF-8.zip
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-09, 08:51

Thanks for your work!
For future reference, if you add .txt to it because of your local editor requirements, just add it, don't change the file name otherwise. e.g. make it "meta.properties.txt" not "metaproperties.txt".

Also, the translation is incomplete. I'm going to have to package the builds and start on editing the website and all, so time is of the essence. If you are around, or if someone else can have a quick look who is native in Portuguese, that would be great. The problem is in overlay.properties:

Code: Select all

# The #1 gets replaced with the number of active downloads. This is a semicolon list of plural forms: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Localization_and_Plurals
activeDownloads=1 Active Download;#1 Active Downloads
# The #1 gets replaced with the number of paused downloads. This is a semicolon list of plural forms: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Localization_and_Plurals
pausedDownloads=1 Transferência Pausada;#1 Transferência Pausada
"active" isn't translated at all, and "paused" doesn't seem to have a singular and plural form. The second should be plural.
To clarify: "1 Active Download;#1 Active Downloads" in practice will be used as follows:
  • If there is 1 active download, the first string is used (singular) = "1 Active Download"
  • If there are 2 or more active downloads, the second string is used, where "#1" is replaced by the actual number of downloads, so the term "Active Downloads" there has to be an appropriate translation of "#1" being a number greater than 1
So in this case, potentially?:

Code: Select all

pausedDownloads=1 Transferência Pausada;#1 Transferências Pausadas
(Just reply to this thread with the appropriate translations)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-09, 10:26

Unfortunately I have to push the publish now, so Pt will have to wait for publication until 19.1

Kafshiel

Unread post by Kafshiel » 2013-03-09, 11:17

Hello!
I'm so sorry i've failed to translate those two strings! I was kinda up all night and was well into dawn when i was finishing it... So i'm very sorry for that! Your translation is almost correct, except for the plural, so you should use:

=1 Transferência Ativa; #1 Transferências Ativas
=1 Transferência Pausada; #1 Transferências Pausadas

The first string is for Active Download / Active Downloads & the 2nd for Paused Download / Paused Downloads

I'm very sorry for letting that one slip but it's easy to correct in the next release... In the meantime i'll be evaluating the PT/BR language pack you've provided and will forward you any suggestion.
None of the translations used copies of Firefox since many are somewhat incorrect or still confusing so these are custom made for Pale Moon only! The "Pale Moon" words on the translation were not included due ONLY to keep the strings as short as possible since they are quite long in PT but you can add that if you want...
At least i can announce to my PT/BR friends that the next update will have the full Language pack!
You can check my translation in any way you want because i know what i'm doing but unfortunately i made that mistake (although i read it 3 times... bummer!) but at least it's very easy to correct...
Thanks for warning me and next time i'll do it during the day time to ensure i'm well awake! :D
Have a good day and please announce the update in MajorGeeks (and if they will let you also on Softpedia, FileHippo, CNET, etc) I'll try my best to lobby a little to have Pale Moon featured on some major freeware sites!
Last edited by Kafshiel on 2013-03-09, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-03-09, 14:43

Kafshiel wrote:Have a good day and please announce the update in MajorGeeks (and if they will let you also on Softpedia, FileHippo, CNET, etc) I'll try my best to lobby a little to have Pale Moon featured on some major freeware sites!
Unsure about MajorGeeks or CNET policy, tend to use Softpedia who are pretty good at keeping things up-to-date.... and you can always point them to new updates (or new software/any problems, etc) yourself via: "Tell us about an update" link on their pages. They are very responsive (often within 24hrs) and usually e-mail their thanks too. FileHippo seem to do their own sweet thing, which sadly doesn't include Pale Moon....
About FileHippo.com wrote:We do not take software submissions from publishers. The site is user focused, we analyse the software market daily for popular software to add.
....Pity! :( IMHO FileHippo's layout and list of readily available previous versions is otherwise rather good. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-09, 16:42

FileHippo would be "user focused" if they actually added software that was increasing in popularity among users, instead of what their staff decides ;)

I'll have a look later about your other replies re: translation, kind of done now after pushing the release out in a hurry.

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-03-09, 20:07

I trust MajorGeeks, Softpedia, and FileHippo.

I want to download an application packed by CNET in their download manager as much as I want a broken leg or an infestation of their toolbars and sundry parasites.

Regards
Alan

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-10, 08:37

Here are some screenshots of the resulting preferences window. Let me know if anything is incorrect.

Also: it's not a big issue if strings are longer, as long as they aren't causing issues with overflowing. The dialog box allows for some wiggle room in most cases.

http://ge.tt/93xeJda?c

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2013-03-10, 11:01

Despite it is look fine, this translation are not really suitable for PT/BR but it is fine for a PT/PT translation. Unlike Portugal, we do not use translated words for most of the tech/internet common terms and words.

We do not use LIGAÇÕES for 'Links'. We just say and use the word 'Link/Links'. The same goes for 'status' in an internet 'environment'. Also, here, the computer device called MOUSE is called MOUSE. Nobody in Brazil say RATO for a computer mouse. Also, we do not translate the 'Download' word.

Now some Portuguese words not commonly used here:

Bordos - We use Bordas

Reajustamento - Redimensionamento suits better.

And 'DONE' in the status bar is not translated. It should says 'PRONTO'. Or 'FEITO'

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-10, 15:53

Jonatham, thanks for the feedback.
I can use the supplied translation for pt-PT, and if you have time you could help with pt-BR instead, if you want?

"Done" is translated, but doesn't show in the screenshots - not sure where you got this from? It's translated to "Completo"

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2013-03-10, 16:55

Moonchild wrote:Jonatham, thanks for the feedback.
"Done" is translated, but doesn't show in the screenshots - not sure where you got this from? It's translated to "Completo"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-10, 19:42

Yes, the status bar is not translated yet in the release version of Pale Moon.
That is what your Portuguese colleague has been working on!

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2013-03-27, 11:02

Give me the file, I will try to do it in my spare time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-27, 23:29

Please see: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2023
It has the files in the initial post for the status bar.
Alternatively, you can use the Web Translation System on babelzilla, where I have uploaded the status bar texts as well:
http://www.babelzilla.org/index.php?opt ... nsion=5673

Kafshiel

Unread post by Kafshiel » 2013-03-29, 14:48

The last i time i checked the Forum the Final Options file required the translation of only 2 strings to be able to get into the next release...
If you think is better to go with Babel type of translations so please do... I really don't have the time to defend native translations... That's not my job anyway I have a final translation of the option file but i haven't sent it since you said you only needed the correction... So the correction is already (1 month now) on my post and i have nothing to change or add to that translation!
Surely i'm not gonna advise to use a Web Bot to translate... In that case simply copy Firefox! That said it's sad to see "Jonathans" (It's not a Portuguese name!!!) translating with the same arrogant american "we know it all" attitude that drives Europeans to reject american opinions (Not only on Language i'm afraid...) If i was incorrect in my Translation please consult ANY Portuguese Language Professor as to if my translation was in error! I DON'T Correct USA translations! UK translations i do correct... USA falls under the Banner of "Probabably this person is Illeterate" for 60% of americans So go trust who you want!
I will send a new ZIP file of the final Options translation... After that i will trust that americans will translate Portuguese... After all everybody loves USA because they are so respectfull as to other cultures... Yes this is a very sad sad sad joke on USA!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-29, 15:01

Kafshiel wrote:The last i time i checked the Forum the Final Options file required the translation of only 2 strings to be able to get into the next release...
If you think is better to go with Babel type of translations so please do... I really don't have the time to defend native translations... That's not my job anyway I have a final translation of the option file but i haven't sent it since you said you only needed the correction... So the correction is already (1 month now) on my post and i have nothing to change or add to that translation!
Surely i'm not gonna advise to use a Web Bot to translate... In that case simply copy Firefox! That said it's sad to see "Jonathans" (It's not a Portuguese name!!!) translating with the same arrogant american "we know it all" attitude that drives Europeans to reject american opinions (Not only on Language i'm afraid...) If i was incorrect in my Translation please consult ANY Portuguese Language Professor as to if my translation was in error! I DON'T Correct USA translations! UK translations i do correct... USA falls under the Banner of "Probabably this person is Illeterate" for 60% of americans So go trust who you want!
I will send a new ZIP file of the final Options translation... After that i will trust that americans will translate Portuguese... After all everybody loves USA because they are so respectfull as to other cultures... Yes this is a very sad sad sad joke on USA!
This is completely uncalled for, you do realize that, right?
Also, you have to realize that the STATUS BAR translation is NOT part of the language pack, it is part of the actual Pale Moon browser downloads - as such any updates to the status bar functionality and preferences window will only be updated along with new browser releases.