Is there a Timeline up for Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

John connor

Re: Is there a Timeline up for Basilisk?

Unread post by John connor » 2017-09-22, 04:53

Sounds like you were downloading the source code.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-09-23, 01:44

I didn't see anything else to download.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-09-23, 02:32

Thee isn't anything else to download. Basilisk has not yet been publicly released.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-09-23, 02:46

Okay, I misunderstood.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-09-30, 02:53

Is Basilisk supposed to replace Pale Moon in the far future?
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-30, 03:02

hujan86 wrote:Is Basilisk supposed to replace Pale Moon in the far future?
No. Basilisk is a separate thing. (please see previous announcements and other posts made explaining this)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-09-30, 11:04

I think the main difference between Basilisk & Pale Moon is the Firefox versions they are rebased.

Basilisk is rebased from Firefox 50+ and Pale Moon is rebased from earlier Firefox version.

Is that true?

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-09-30, 14:38

Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-30, 16:04

Latitude wrote:I think the main difference between Basilisk & Pale Moon is the Firefox versions they are rebased.
Not so much. According to Moonchild, Basilisk is based on "an early-2017 fork of the Mozilla platform code with parallel development and fixes for long-standing Mozilla bugs":

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16829&p=123077&hili ... sk#p123077

So Basilisk is not based on any specific Firefox version.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

avada
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by avada » 2017-09-30, 17:31

Nigaikaze wrote:
Latitude wrote:I think the main difference between Basilisk & Pale Moon is the Firefox versions they are rebased.
Not so much. According to Moonchild, Basilisk is based on "an early-2017 fork of the Mozilla platform code with parallel development and fixes for long-standing Mozilla bugs":

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16829&p=123077&hili ... sk#p123077

So Basilisk is not based on any specific Firefox version.
That basically means it's a fork of FF. You can essentially say that it's a fork of FF52, with tweaks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-01, 08:33

Not sure why people have trouble understanding this. I'll try once more to explain this:

Basilisk is an application. As an application, Basilisk is a fork of Firefox.

What the application builds on is the platform (UXP). The platform is NOT the same as the application, the same way that Microsoft Office, although building on the Windows platform, is not one whole with it. The same way, Basilisk cannot function without a platform, but the platform can work without the application.
Pale Moon is a different application, and the long-term plan is to make it build on UXP, the platform that's being developed.

Mozilla has been trying (very hard) to give the impression that the platform is the application, the application is the platform. That's just not true, despite them syncing up platform and Firefox version numbers (and then even calling it Gecko, while gecko is just the layout and rendering engine, not the entire platform). See also Thunderbird and SeaMonkey, both other applications building on the Mozilla platform that are not Firefox.

Does it make sense now? Do you need a drawing?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-01, 08:50

I guess people need a drawing. Made a rough sketch.
rough-layout-of-mozilla-based-applications.png

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-04, 06:15

Yes! Thank you for the picture! Worth a thousand words, as the proverb says!
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-10-10, 03:06

Looks like somebody else is writing software with the name Basilisk.

https://github.com/basilisk-fw/basilisk

Crambie

Unread post by Crambie » 2017-10-11, 14:28

It's also the name of a mac emulator that's been around for absolutely ages. Personally I'd have tried to think of a name that's not already in use by other software. Plus it's not it's great name to start with, it's just not memorable.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-10-30, 01:35

Moonchild, if Pale Moon would end up to base itself to UXP, would its default UI layout change? (http://www.palemoon.org/layout-differences.shtml)

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2017-10-30, 09:10

UXP is platform/back-end which can be used for many applications that have different front-ends from each other.

In future if Pale Moon would use UXP it would just change Pale Moon platform/back-end. Front end would stay same as applications are not same as platform/back-end.

When Tycho happened Pale Moon switched it back-end but it was just one time back-end switch (Maybe this could be called soft-fork). It was just rebase of browser to later platform not forking platform itself. UXP purpose is to hard-fork of entire Mozilla platform (early 2017) and continue develop it indepedently. This is how I understand at least Tycho vs UXP distinction.

As far as Basilisk goes that is just vessel for Moonchild to develop platform. It isn't intended to be any kind of replacement for Pale Moon and is seperate branch from Pale Moon browser.

Basilisk can also offer alternative to current Firefox users who want to continue using XUL addons after Firefox 57 and is intended for different target audience.

Moonchild has explained differences between platform and applications multiple times and also has explained Basilisk is seperate from Pale Moon. Why people ask same question over and over again?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-30, 13:21

win7-7 wrote:Why people ask same question over and over again?
Because it's a question asked by Latitude.

I'm sorry Latitude; you've been warned a few times already about informing yourself before posting redundant questions. The answer to this one is posted several posts up in the same thread. Please stop posting without taking a few seconds to absorb the information that's right in front of you. I'd hate to have to take measures but we can't keep answering already-answered queries over and over again.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-10-30, 19:28

I see on the github page a release on Oct 2 marked as a beta . . . but the download is way past 150 megs. Is this also the source code and not a finished product? I didn't expect that since it was marked as a beta.

avada
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by avada » 2017-10-30, 20:09

helloimustbegoing wrote:I see on the github page a release on Oct 2 marked as a beta . . . but the download is way past 150 megs. Is this also the source code and not a finished product? I didn't expect that since it was marked as a beta.
Only sourcecode. Sadly. I'd like try out a beta version.