Using "-no-remote -P profile" with Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PaleDwiggy

Using "-no-remote -P profile" with Pale Moon

Unread post by PaleDwiggy » 2017-10-18, 03:13

This relates to Windows 7.

With Firefox, I've been keeping two instances of the browser on my computer; one for employed work topics, and one for "other" use. For the work instance, I use a Start Menu item with the following command string:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -P Jira4Dwig "http://jira.ols.advpubtech.com/secure/MyJiraHome.jspa". The other uses the default profile. This has worked well; no matter which starts first, each instance gets the right profile.

So, now that I'm happily ensconced in Pale Moon, I tried the equivalent trick. From a bash command window, I entered:
./palemoon.exe -no-remote -P Jira4Dwig "http://jira.ols.advpubtech.com/secure/MyJiraHome.jspa"
(I've tried it with both "-no-remote ..." and "--no-remote ..."; no difference.)

What comes up doesn't have the tabs associated with the Jira4Dwig profile, and it looks pretty much as though it's using the default. In particular, the sessions showing in the Session Manager are those of the default.

So, is there some "secret sauce" that will get what I want, or does Pale Moon not support what I'm trying to do?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Using "-no-remote -P profile" with Pale Moon

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-18, 07:58

Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-10-18, 19:27

PaleDwiggy wrote:What comes up doesn't have the tabs associated with the Jira4Dwig profile, and it looks pretty much as though it's using the default. In particular, the sessions showing in the Session Manager are those of the default.

So, is there some "secret sauce" that will get what I want, or does Pale Moon not support what I'm trying to do?
The correct invocation, at least for linux, appears to be palemoon -new-instance -p profile_name. Note the lower-case "p". Here's an excerpt from my ICEWM launch menu...

Code: Select all

prog DSLR palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p dslr
  prog GLICE palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p glice
  prog GOOGLE palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p google
  prog GRAPHS palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p graphs
  prog PALEMOON palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p palemoon
  prog QEMU+GENTOO palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p qemu
  prog SLASHDOT palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p slashdot
  prog SNOW palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p snow
  prog STREAMS palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p streams
  prog PUPPY\ LINUX palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p puppy
  prog WORDPRESS palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p wordpress
  prog WXFORUM palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p wxforum
  prog WXLONG palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p wxlong
  prog WXSHORT palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p wxshort
  prog YOUTUBE palemoon_64x64.png palemoon -new-instance -p youtube
I have separate profiles for each commonly visited forum. They're not necessarily all open at the same time.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-20, 04:19

I'm sorry, I don't understand. You are running a bash shell in Windows 7 ? :wtf: Could someone please explain? Thanks.

FWIW, here is the output of palemoon --help . (I can't seem to find any actual man pages for Pale Moon.) the --no-remote option should work because it implies --new-instance.

Usage: palemoon [ options ... ] [URL]
       where options include:

X11 options
  --display=DISPLAY                   X display to use
  --sync                              Make X calls synchronous
  --g-fatal-warnings                  Make all warnings fatal

Pale Moon options
  -h or --help                        Print this message.
  -v or --version                     Print Pale Moon version.
  -P <profile>                        Start with <profile>.
  --profile <path>                    Start with profile at <path>.
  --migration                         Start with migration wizard.
  --ProfileManager                    Start with ProfileManager.
  --no-remote                         Do not accept or send remote commands; implies --new-instance.
  --new-instance                      Open new instance, not a new window in running instance.
  --UILocale <locale>                 Start with <locale> resources as UI Locale.
  --safe-mode                         Disables extensions and themes for this session.
  -jsconsole                          Open the Error console.
  -browser                            Open a browser window.
  -new-window <url>                   Open <url> in a new window.
  -new-tab <url>                      Open <url> in a new tab.
  -private-window <url>               Open <url> in a new private window.
  -preferences                        Open Preferences dialog.
  -search <term>                      Search <term> with your default search engine.
  -browserconsole                     Open the Browser Console.
  -jsdebugger                         Open the Browser Toolbox.
  -devtools                           Open DevTools on initial load.
  -start-debugger-server [port|path]  Start the debugger server on a TCP port or Unix domain socket path.
                                      Defaults to TCP port 6000.
  --recording <file>                  Record drawing for a given URL.
  --recording-output <file>           Specify destination file for a drawing recording.
  -setDefaultBrowser                  Set this app as the default browser.
I have modified all my icons and Terminal profiles, etc. so that when I invoke Pale Moon, it always always run "palemoon -P --no-remote" so that I am always sure to get the right profile.

But again, could someone explain to me about Windows 7 and bash? Thanks.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-10-20, 07:20

gracious1 wrote:I'm sorry, I don't understand. You are running a bash shell in Windows 7 ? :wtf: Could someone please explain? Thanks.
You do realize that you're posting on the "Pale Moon for Linux" forum? I assumed that this was a request for help with the linux version.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-20, 10:44

Walter Dnes wrote: You do realize that you're posting on the "Pale Moon for Linux" forum? I assumed that this was a request for help with the linux version.
The OP wrote
PaleDwiggy wrote:This relates to Windows 7.
So I am simply asking for an explanation, since this is the Linux forum.

And I did my best to help this person with their apparently Linux-related problem, but I still like to know what they are talking about relating this to Windows 7.

Peace out.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

PaleDwiggy

Unread post by PaleDwiggy » 2017-10-23, 00:13

First, my apologies for posting on a "for Linux" thread; I'm still a novice at this forum.

For completeness, and to help anyone who tries to follow my path, here's what I've been able to accomplish:
I now can run two instances of PM with different tab sets, one of them using "-no-remote -P profilename", the other set up with a different profile name.

However, I can't get either of them to come up with the tabs loaded; I have to use SessionManager to do the trick there (it helps to save a named session with the "profiled" tabs, to avoid having to look for the "right" tab set on startup). The profiles seem to have the right stuff in them, since in each case, the Session Manager sees the correct named session.

Given that I generally go for days without rebooting, this isn't a big issue, but if someone finds a way to fix this glitch, I'll be happy to see it.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-10-23, 01:48

PaleDwiggy wrote:However, I can't get either of them to come up with the tabs loaded; I have to use SessionManager to do the trick there (it helps to save a named session with the "profiled" tabs, to avoid having to look for the "right" tab set on startup). The profiles seem to have the right stuff in them, since in each case, the Session Manager sees the correct named session.

Given that I generally go for days without rebooting, this isn't a big issue, but if someone finds a way to fix this glitch, I'll be happy to see it.
Yes, you can get multiple tabs to come up at startup. It's a 2-step process
  1. Go to "Edit ==> Preferences ==> General"
    When Pale Moon starts: Show my home page
    Your "home page" can have multiple entries, separated by " | " i.e. space pipe-sign space. Note that it has to be one continuous line, which can get a bit ugly to edit. E.g. Pale Moon forum, one long line something like...

http://www.palemoon.org/ | https://forum.palemoon.org | https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git | https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=1 | https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=37 | https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=40
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way