A problem with a Facebook script

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
newbie3

A problem with a Facebook script

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-10-11, 11:12

Hello! In the recent days when I load the tab with Facebook, I see this message: "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue." The script is: https://www.facebook.com/rsrc.php/v3/yK ... t0W9.js:40 . Without solving this problem I can't use Facebook normally and the web site freezes. Could you please tell me when a solution will be available?

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: A problem with a Facebook script

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-10-11, 12:43

I have this happen on FB from time to time. It usually happens when I try to add a smiley to my comments. I cancel the script window and after awhile my comment does show up, including the smiley. Sometimes I do get hung up and have to log Out of FB. It does take some time to do that also. I have Fbpurity installed too.

This has happened to me using Firefox and PM.

I can't help you with a cure, but you are not alone.

EDIT: I'm hunting around Google and trying a couple of things. Of course I won't know if it worked until I try to insert a smiley in my comment at FB again. It might be awhile. My feeds are kind of dead lately. lol! If I get any results, I'll come back.

BTW: I am on Windows 7, 64bit PM 27.5.1 (64bit)
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-10-11, 16:54

Well, that hint didn't work. Here's my error box.

PM eventually froze up. It took me forever to log out of FB. I don't like leaving a session open in FB. But later when I went back to Facebook, my comment with the smiley was there.
Attachments
2017-10-11_120120.jpg
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-10-15, 13:09

Thank you for the replies, mommabear. As I see, I am not alone with these problems.

I still receive messages for unresposive Facebook's scripts and even Pale Moon has difficulties, when I refresh the tab with "Facebook". There were several times when "Pale Moon" stopped working and closed by itself (although I keep only 4-5 opened tabs). At the current moment "Mozilla Firefox" is more stable and faster, and I don't get these troubles with it. I still prefer "Pale Moon", but with these problems I can't use it normally.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-10-15, 14:28

newbie3 wrote:Thank you for the replies, mommabear. As I see, I am not alone with these problems.

I still receive messages for unresposive Facebook's scripts and even Pale Moon has difficulties, when I refresh the tab with "Facebook". There were several times when "Pale Moon" stopped working and closed by itself (although I keep only 4-5 opened tabs). At the current moment "Mozilla Firefox" is more stable and faster, and I don't get these troubles with it. I still prefer "Pale Moon", but with these problems I can't use it normally.
I've read in the forums that FB has been a thorn in the side of Pale Moon for some time because of their ever-changing codes. I don't do much "on" FB except keep in touch with family and friends through the news feeds. No games or any other things like that. So I'm trying to stick with PM. It's now my default browser, but I still have Firefox installed too for the hair pulling days.

I do think a couple of things I've tried has made a difference, although the improvements never seem to be permanent.

I disabled the facebook anonymous blocker in the ABPrime filters. I don't even remember when or why I installed it. lol! I do have the GM FBpurity installed. Disabling FBPurity didn't seem to matter.

I've tried this change in about:config
1) general.useragent.override.facebook.com
2) general.useragent.override.fbcdn.com
3) general.useragent.override.fbcdn.net
TO: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (Pale Moon)

I installed YesScript and added this to the black list: (blacklisting Facebookcom stops everything)
https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/

However, I think the tip that helps the most to cut down on the script/smiley insert warnings for me is to simply do this:
After inserting the smiley in the comment box, position the cursor to the left of the smiley before entering/posting. Even if it freezes, when going back to the subject it generally keeps the new comment.

Short of all that, for myself, I guess I should just get use to not inserting smileys in FB. :wink:
Good luck!
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-10-15, 15:21

Thank you for the useful tips, mommabear! I will follow your advice.

My default browser is "Pale Moon", too - I think it's the best web browser in the present times and I prefer it for many reasons. But I also have "Mozilla Firefox" installed, in case of hard moments (like you).

My only problems with "Pale Moon" are with "Facebook" and that sometimes something happens and "Pale Moon" stops working and closes by itself (with only 4-5 opened tabs). I'm sure that the developers will solve these problems.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-16, 05:31

Same to me. Facebook is responsible for PM freezing(for me not immediate but just after a period of using)
I don't have such a preference in about:config -"general.useragent.override.fbcdn.com". Is just "general.useragent.override.fbcdn.net"
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-10-16, 14:06

badnick wrote:Same to me. Facebook is responsible for PM freezing(for me not immediate but just after a period of using)
I don't have such a preference in about:config -"general.useragent.override.fbcdn.com". Is just "general.useragent.override.fbcdn.net"
You can create it in about:config by right clicking the area and selecting New. It is a String. If you don't feel this helps or makes things worse, just right click and reset them. They'll either be disabled or they may disappear altogether. I can't remember which.
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-10-20, 06:31

Despite the useful tips of mommabear, the problems with "Facebook"' scripts continue. And "Pale Moon" crashes too often. Currently I have migrated to "Mozilla Firefox" and will stay there until "Pale Moon" becomes lighter, faster and more stable.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-10-20, 12:36

I suggest you try the portable version without installing add-ons - having no issues at all at Facebook hang wise.

http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml

If this one works flawless for you, the chance is high that something of your profile is making trouble - add-ons or some profile corruption.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-10-20, 12:38

newbie3 wrote:Despite the useful tips of mommabear, the problems with "Facebook"' scripts continue. And "Pale Moon" crashes too often. Currently I have migrated to "Mozilla Firefox" and will stay there until "Pale Moon" becomes lighter, faster and more stable.
I'm still having the problems with FB too... in Firefox also. I can't remember if I tried disabling FBPurity to see if that would make a difference. I probably did try it. But not having FBPurity would be too much of a compromise, even if it did solve it. LOL!

I've gone back to Firefox mostly too, for now. I did mess around with upgrading Firefox to it's latest version. I'm using 50.1 right now. What a mess! I spent hours just trying to get my status bar back and never did. I went back to my old version.

I'm still hopeful about Pale Moon. I just hate the idea of having to keep a separate browser just for Facebook though. But that might be the only work-around.
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-10-20, 14:21

mommabear wrote:I'm still hopeful about Pale Moon. I just hate the idea of having to keep a separate browser just for Facebook though. But that might be the only work-around.
As i wrote - i experience no hangs or other issues on Facebook. It is less likely that it is the browser's fault and more of a chance that it is either some add-ons which are making issues or even worse, some profile corruption.

You can always try with a new Pale Moon profile and if that works flawless, you can bring back piece by piece certain parts of your old profile like for example bookmarks/passwords without screwing it up. The only thing you have to do is re-install the add-ons you want.

Also, using an older version of a browser is no good idea. And as Firefox 57 will only feature a little bit more improved Chrome feature set UI wise - as Mozilla is hellbent to emulate Chrome as much as possible - you will for sure not enjoy the Firefox 57 version.

Better use something like Vivaldi if you want to have a richer feature set and Pale Moon is making trouble for you or you do not want to mess around with profile stuff and can't therefor get it fixed.

Also, as i use personally the "unstable" Pale Moon version... that one is also worth a try, perhaps this fixes possible issues already:

http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-10-20, 14:53

Sajadi wrote:You can always try with a new Pale Moon profile and if that works flawless, you can bring back piece by piece certain parts of your old profile like for example bookmarks/passwords without screwing it up. The only thing you have to do is re-install the add-ons you want.

Also, using an older version of a browser is no good idea. And as Firefox 57 will only feature a little bit more improved Chrome feature set UI wise - as Mozilla is hellbent to emulate Chrome as much as possible - you will for sure not enjoy the Firefox 57 version.

Better use something like Vivaldi if you want to have a richer feature set and Pale Moon is making trouble for you or you do not want to mess around with profile stuff and can't therefor get it fixed.
Like I say about my children, "Never say never." That way there are no big surprises. That said, I sometimes roll my eyes when I see people advising others of the dangers of using an older version of an Operating System or browser. I loved and used Windows Me until my old eyes had to have the clear type function. I also spent months trying to find a way to integrate it into Me before I gave up and upgraded to XP. I'm not a techie so my chances were slim to do it, but I tried anyway. Now I have Window 7 customized to look like XP as much as possible, and work like Me as much as possible. I enjoy trying to solve problems, but I also don't need all the bells and whistles of the later versions. So unless I'm forced into buying a new computer, I don't plan to go any higher. (I'm now 72.)

I have been online since the late 90's. If I'm remembering correctly my homepage has been hijacked twice, and once I did get a nasty thing that said I was infected and tried to make me click a link to scan my computer to clean it. That one was a little harder to get rid of. I might have even had to restore a system image backup to get rid of it. I don't remember for sure. In the opinion of many I've probably just been lucky. But so far this works for me.

I will try the new profile sometime when I get obsessed with this again. Which I probably will. And take a look at Vivaldi. I hadn't heard of it.

Thank you.
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-11-03, 10:43

Sajadi, I made a new Pale Moon profile and now everything is fine. Thank you!

mommabear, badnick - you can do the same and I am sure that it will resolve the problems. There is a tutorial in Google for making a new profile in Firefox, but the same is for Pale Moon - it's very easy and fast solution.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-11-03, 11:43

newbie3 wrote:mommabear, badnick - you can do the same and I am sure that it will resolve the problems. There is a tutorial in Google for making a new profile in Firefox, but the same is for Pale Moon - it's very easy and fast solution.

Seems that this issue is manifesting a little different for us. To me it happens just after a period of uninterrupted use of Facebook. After update to 27.5.1 the unresponsive script message does not appear anymore to me but Facebook still generate browser slowness that's why I close it from time to time. And I have also other problems with Facebook (videos). I know how to made a clean profile but I remember I tried this. Maybe depends also of what OS. But you can made a intensive test: keep Facebook open for a long time (over 2-3 hours)..and tell me if all is ok.
PM last/64

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-11-03, 17:42

badnick, I understand. We will see.

I keep "Facebook" opened for the whole afternoon today (after creating a new profile) and I don't have any problems so far. If there is any issue in the next days, I will share about it here. All was fine with "Facebook" on "Firefox", but I prefer "Pale Moon" for my first choice for some reasons. My OS is "Windows 10".

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-11-04, 07:17

badnick, I still have little problems with "Facebook" - some of the notifications don't open. But at least the major problem with the unresponsive script is over.

I was thinking about what you said about the slower work of the browser. I had this struggle with "Firefox" and I think the same is for "Pale Moon" - I keep mainly only two tabs opened ("Facebook" and a local media site, and some 1-2 more from time to time), but after some hours of work the memory usage becomes too high (nearly or over 1000 MB) and the pressure on the processor becomes bigger (20%-30%-40%) and the browser starts to work slower. And I have to close it 2-3 times per day and start it over again. I don't know whether the problem is with "Facebook" or the code of the browsers. My sister uses "MS Edge" and "Google Chrome" and as I see, she doesn't have such problems. I will continue to use "Pale Moon" and "Firefox", but I hope both to become lighter.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-11-04, 08:37

newbie3 wrote:badnick, I still have little problems with "Facebook" - some of the notifications don't open. But at least the major problem with the unresponsive script is over.

I was thinking about what you said about the slower work of the browser. I had this struggle with "Firefox" and I think the same is for "Pale Moon" - I keep mainly only two tabs opened ("Facebook" and a local media site, and some 1-2 more from time to time), but after some hours of work the memory usage becomes too high (nearly or over 1000 MB) and the pressure on the processor becomes bigger (20%-30%-40%) and the browser starts to work slower. And I have to close it 2-3 times per day and start it over again. I don't know whether the problem is with "Facebook" or the code of the browsers. My sister uses "MS Edge" and "Google Chrome" and as I see, she doesn't have such problems. I will continue to use "Pale Moon" and "Firefox", but I hope both to become lighter.
Indeed, Facebook should become lighter.

That website is simply a "monster".

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-11-04, 08:45

newbie3 wrote:badnick, I still have little problems with "Facebook" - some of the notifications don't open. But at least the major problem with the unresponsive script is over.
I think no matter how many tabs you have open. I usually run with at least 100 tabs and over 10 windows open. If I close all tabs with Facebook when issue is occuring then the browser returned to normal.
PM last/64