Thank you for 32-bit Linux builds

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
AlexC

Thank you for 32-bit Linux builds

Unread post by AlexC » 2017-10-10, 10:59

I just wanted to say thanks for continuing 32-bit Linux builds. I'm running a somewhat antique version of Puppy Linux (heavily modified and updated) on a similarly antique (and modified/updated) Core2Duo laptop. Pale Moon runs beautifully on here.

Amongst all the bug reports and issues in this forum, please be aware that there are many of us very happy that this browser is available, especially for somewhat older machines. Keep up the good work.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Thank you for 32-bit Linux builds

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-10, 16:49

I'll also put my sentiments here. I also own a 10 year old laptop and Pale Moon performs better than the other browsers on it. When most of the software industry is trying to run away from 32-bit like it never happened, and calling it baggage, it's good to see Pale Moon providing solid support for the older architecture. When I requested for 32-bit unstable builds, the team honored it; since then community member Walter Dnes is happily providing Linux builds to test. I hope this support will continue for "long enough".
I use Arch Linux - they are dropping i686 support after next month. I do not want the same to happen to Pale Moon.

FlexPM

Unread post by FlexPM » 2017-10-11, 13:38

So let me plz affiliate to thank for that matter too! PM-32 running beautifully here on Q4OS Orion.

SfdudePM

Unread post by SfdudePM » 2017-10-12, 00:08

+1 !!!
Thank you Moonchild, Trava90
and the whole PM Team
for keeping the 32-BIT version
of the great (greatest?) Pale Moon browser.

All our PCs in our installation
AND all client PCs
run Linux 32-BIT
just fine.
(no need, plans, hardware or budget to upgrade to 64-bits...).

And we know as a fact,
that there are millions of PCs like ours,
being used around the world...

So, bravo for keeping the 32-BITS Pale Moon!. :thumbup: :clap:

SFdudePM
San Francisco
Ubuntu Linux
32-BITS

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-10-12, 01:13

There's an article on DistroWatch http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20171009#opinion about the issue of 32-bit linux (or lack thereof). It makes the point that there are still some scenarios where 32-bit linux makes sense, especially on older machines, and even newer low-memory machines.

NetBSD from version 6.0 https://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-6/NetBSD-6.0.html supports 64-bit time_t on 32-bit systems, so it should be possible on other posix OS's, like linux. In plain English, recompiled software will run OK on a 32-bit system after January 2038. There is still hope. Work is ongoing for linux https://lwn.net/Articles/643234/
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-10-20, 01:09

can't emphasize enough how much i appreciate the 32bit of Palemoon and also the non sse version too as i have 2 machines that are THAT old with amd athlon cpu's!!

i know this isn't the correct place for posting that, but it still fits and i'm here!!

ardouronerous

Unread post by ardouronerous » 2017-10-21, 21:59

I thank you too for continuing 32-bit support, I have two 32-bit computers, a Xubuntu desktop and a Lubuntu laptop, and I don't want to throw them out.

I have not heard if Xubuntu will drop 32-bit, but Lubuntu has already said on their Twitter page that they aren't dropping 32-bit ISOs, and I hope Pale Moon continues to support this too.

https://twitter.com/LubuntuOfficial/status/913532513234096128

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2017-10-22, 16:01

Yes! Thanks much. I'm running 27.4.1 with Gentoo on an old x86 compiled from https://github.com/deuiore/palemoon-overlay and it's been really solid...even compiled with what's apparently an unsupported gcc (5.4.0).

Thanks!

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2017-10-22, 17:21

I will put my two cents worth in for supporting 32 PCs. I still use my diehard Dell Inspiron 1545, 2008 model. Running Linux Debian Mint on it, also it is my primary browser for all my older PCs, which include 4 laptops all are 5-10 yrs old. No need to buy the newer junk. I have never had an issue using Palemoon on any Linux or Windows versions of which I have used most or tested them.
You guys rock!
Dustie Rose :thumbup:

Pale Moon Nili

Unread post by Pale Moon Nili » 2017-10-31, 16:14

My 2cents aswell. Kudos to all involved on 32bit support! :clap: As long as you can to keep it alive, you are heartily thanked.

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2017-10-31, 18:40

Yes, absolutely, thank you! Pale Moon for 32-bit Linux is a lifesaver, especially on older computers -- and even on more modern 64-bit machines equipped with not much memory, like Walter wrote. I/we really appreciate the project's serious commitment to the Linux platform, both 64 and 32-bit architectures.

Thanks again, developers and contributors! Keep up the excellent work. :thumbup:
Off-topic:
And happy Halloween everyone! BTW, what happened to the yearly (and scary) werewolf theme for the main website? I miss it! :twisted: I guess Moonchild's temporary signature will suffice. :-/

TecXero

Unread post by TecXero » 2017-11-04, 07:11

I'd like to throw out a thanks as well. I don't personally use the 32bit version, as all my home tech I keep fairly new, but I do use it at work. I setup an old Eeebox with Debian and Pale Moon i386 to act as a display for our server's network monitor. It's working great and smooth.

Even at home and on my laptop, I do use the 64bit version of Pale Moon as my main browser. It's great having a modern browser that's customizable and is content just being a nice lightweight browser, not an entire bloated platform.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2017-11-24, 03:31

Thank you for the 32-bit Pale Moons! My economy don't allow the purchase of a modern PC, mine were picked from the container full of scrapped PCs at the Uni! Picked some parts here, and some parts there, and then you have a working Linuxbox!

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2017-11-24, 08:29

Yes, me too. My laptop is an old machine from 2002. Happy that Palemoon can work on it.

Thanks guys.